News Interesting strategy by UFC to combat piracy of PPV

13 others

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
As some of you may or may not know;

Prior to UFC's recent revamp of UFC.tv (fightpass) you could log onto your fight pass account using a VPN and purchase the PPV from a country such as Singapore or Thailand and the cost of the PPV would be 24.99USD instead of 64.99USD in N. America.

Many people used this discounted option instead of paying full price or using unreliable/non-hd streams. Well, since the revamp of fightpass they have opted to use technology to detect users using VPN which blocks them from even using the webpage. This also blocks people who have paid for fight pass but are simply using a VPN to access prelims that are regionally blacked out, ex - Canada.

Now, all these fans who were once paying half price for PPV via VPN are doing the legwork to find legit free steams/pay for IPTV. Thus generating 0$ from once partially paying customers who are now watching PPV for free and cancelling fightpass.

How tf does that move make sense?

PPV is a dying technology in the age of the internet. Can’t wait for it to go the way of the dodo

I was going to do that for 246 but discovered the same thing. Ended up watching a shitty stream..

Why using VPN to buy it cheaper when you can stream it for free?

If I can watch the fucking superbowl on free TV I'm not gonna buy a shitty fuckin ufc card.

Stack up a card with 5 fights I NEED to see and I do pay for it. Happens once every couple years

Yeah, it was possible earlier but now its kinda harder. Yet, there are always streams, it is hard to stop the internet...

Why using VPN to buy it cheaper when you can stream it for free?

Because a lot of people have a hard time finding streams without lag or buffering issues/random shut downs half way through a PPV. Imagine inviting people over and having that happen during a main event etc. Why not split 30USD 6 ways and have an HD flawless stream.

That's not to say you can't find a flawless HD stream for free but some people just dont know how/dont want to be bothered. I've even used great steams that never had a prior issue that started lagging out or just shut down halfway through.

Take the NBA approach and make everything free and replayable. More people would watch.

All I know is, I’m not signing up for a streaming service and paying 60-70 bucks for watered down cards. I’m not trying to pay that money to watch mostly shitty fights, only for the main event to possibly last 40 seconds. Fuck that. There's a reason why Boxing is boxing.

Last edited:
Honestly even if the stream all the sudden became shit or hard to find you could just go to a bar, expend 20 bucks on a couple of cuba libres and enjoy the fights.

All I know is, I’m not signing up for a streaming service and paying 60-70 bucks for watered down cards. I’m not trying to pay that money to watch mostly shitty fights, only for the main even to possibly last 40 seconds. Fuck that.
Correct. But the fact is many people would have paid half price, were denied, then streamed for free. Now you've lost paying customers forever.

I was going to do that for 246 but discovered the same thing. Ended up watching a shitty stream..
Buddy you gotta look around better. Plenty of 1080p streams floating around.

But don't bother me I'm not giving out links or guiding you. All I'm saying is look into it.

Used to be really easy with reddit but good ole Schuab ruined that.

Wait a tic.

TS is suggesting that some people knew how to set up a VPN and still chose to pay half price via Fight Pass so as to only jump through 2 loops, instead of just streaming it illegally for free by jumping through 4 loops, which they will do now. Do I have that right?

Whatever the numbers of these somewhat technologically knowledgeable half-PPV-stealers are, I doubt they’re high, and UFC certainly aren’t basing pricing strategy over this subset of fans.

How about giving us quality cards at a reasonable price.
People will pay for HD quality and the convience.
Look at iTunes and Netflix for example, people are willing to pay for easy to use, high quality content at a reasonable price.

Back