Interesting question....(interesting to me anyways)

Red Harvest

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In a gym setting, everyone is training and only training. The only thing that really comes up in conversation is BJJ, Judo, CSW (insert favorite martial art here). I am always amazed when I find out what it is people from the gym do for a living. One of our top brown belt competitors is a lawyer. One of the BB instructors owns a bakery of all things. Among others there's truck drivers, janitors, students, secretaries, doctors and the list goes on and on. What do you guys do for a job and do the people at your work know what you do in your off time?

I myself am an Operations Manager for an autoglass manufacturer/distributor. My co-workers,as far as I know, don't have the slightest clue what I do in my off time.

In a gym setting, everyone is training and only training. The only thing that really comes up in conversation is BJJ, Judo, CSW (insert favorite martial art here). I am always amazed when I find out what it is people from the gym do for a living. One of our top brown belt competitors is a lawyer. One of the BB instructors owns a bakery of all things. Among others there's truck drivers, janitors, students, secretaries, doctors and the list goes on and on. What do you guys do for a job and do the people at your work know what you do in your off time?

I myself am an Operations Manager for an autoglass manufacturer/distributor. My co-workers,as far as I know, don't have the slightest clue what I do in my off time.

I don't have a job so I'm a full time unpaid sherdog poster.

Here in Korea its even more interesting with the guys in the 3 piece suits walking into class and looking small and weak and still schooling people in BJJ.
As for me I got my interest in BJJ from being an Army Combatives instructor and I use BJJ to enhance my teaching ability for Combatives as well as keep me in shape. I also have been thinking of continuing BJJ and opening a gym when I retire that offers opportunities to train BJJ, Combatives, Kali, Yoga etc etc. Of course i would want to hire qualified instructors. Anyway thats my plan so far but I have 7 years till retirement so wish me luck...
And to keep with the post my primary job is electronic repair for the U.S. Army which is actually not as primary as you would think to the many secondary jobs I do, teaching Combatives by far my favorite!

Here in Korea its even more interesting with the guys in the 3 piece suits walking into class and looking small and weak and still schooling people in BJJ.
As for me I got my interest in BJJ from being an Army Combatives instructor and I use BJJ to enhance my teaching ability for Combatives as well as keep me in shape. I also have been thinking of continuing BJJ and opening a gym when I retire that offers opportunities to train BJJ, Combatives, Kali, Yoga etc etc. Of course i would want to hire qualified instructors. Anyway thats my plan so far but I have 7 years till retirement so wish me luck...
And to keep with the post my primary job is electronic repair for the U.S. Army which is actually not as primary as you would think to the many secondary jobs I do, teaching Combatives by far my favorite!

Good luck! I'm only 19 so I have many many years ahead of me before I can even think of retiring.

I'm a lawyer (with my own firm, which is why I have time to post here), a professor and an alpaca farmer.

I've heard Alpaca farming is actually a really good business. I'm a technology recruiter - I help consulting firms find their delivery, management, and sales talent. I work for a small firm and everyone knows what I'm up to afterwork - I'm the annoying guy at the office... "and one time, at jiu jitsu camp..."

I don't know if alpaca farming is a good business or not, but I know alpaca steaks are delicious. Bon appetit!

Lmao for serious?

SmallPhantom.jpg

For serious.

I don't know if alpaca farming is a good business or not, but I know alpaca steaks are delicious. Bon appetit!

Where are you from?

Because in the U.S., an alpaca steak would be terribly expensive.

That's nuts but awesome.

I agree with you that it is nuts.

We moved out a bit, into the country, to have enough land so that our neighbors weren't right on top of us. We lucked into a 26 acre farm. With that much space, we can decided to get some farm animals for the kids and these were the only ones that I really liked.

We have chickens and miniature donkeys too, just for laughs.

Where are you from?

Because in the U.S., an alpaca steak would be terribly expensive.

I'm American. I ate some alpaca steaks in Peru a few months back, and they were incredibly cheap and delicious--very lean but very flavorful. Peruvian cuisine is really incredible, and that was one of my favorite dishes.

In order to not hijack this thread, I'll give my career: I work as an editor for an online medical journal and am a freelance writer on the side.

I'm American. I ate some alpaca steaks in Peru a few months back, and they were incredibly cheap and delicious--very lean but very flavorful. Peruvian cuisine is really incredible, and that was one of my favorite dishes.

In order to not hijack this thread, I'll give my career: I work as an editor for an online medical journal and am a freelance writer on the side.

Yes....in Peru it would be very cheap. We haven't reached that population yet, so steaks here would be pricey...more than Filet Mignon.

I'm a number cruncher for an insurance company and a part time graduate student (1 course away from an MS is applied mathematics). I'm looking long term towards either an MBA or the actuarial exams.

i'm a senior customer service associate (basically assistant mgr) in a call center. my coworkers found out i trained bjj when i was cutting weight for a tourney and was carrying around my gallon jug of h20. when i let them know why and what for, the first words out of my boss's mouth were, "do you do ufc?" lol. it really happens!

Our main instructor at the gym is also a professional musician, he plays jazz. Never would have guessed it in a hundred years.

Always surprised as well when I find out the old man that just handed my ass to me is someone's grandpa or a retired school teacher.

Just graduated college, looking for something in the Finance field.

lol strange, my parents own a bakery too.... (I'm 18, and work at a pool)

Back