Interesting look at TJ's ability to comeback in fight #1 vs Cody's inability to comeback in fight 2

PS

It boggled my mind how people kept referring to TJ as the sterotypical kicker who when crowded is no longer effective

TJ is no Pettis/Barboza/RDA lol

TJ actually prefers boxing range

TJ is his most lethal from boxing range lol

In his breakout fight against Renan, TJ was constantly shifting into boxing range with unconventional combos/TJ was consistently in front of Renan in boxing range stepping around him and hitting him from his blind spots etc

Yes TJ kicks, but TJ is primarily a boxer who is an aggressive creative combination fighter, who loves to fight mid range to close range, always changing stances and shifting, and stepping around opponents, who likes to cap off his combos with a jab or his infamous step in shifting left high kick

@TerraRayzing
Agreed, lol at TAM thinking Cody was the far superior boxer. TJ also knows Cody way too well, in the first seconds of the first fight, TJ feinted early on, Cody took the bait and got into his usual setup and TJ loled at him. His IQ is what makes him so great though, he said it himself, he can be a new fighter in every round of a fight.
It'll fucking hurt when TJ vs Dom 2 happens. Huge fan of both guys but I think TJ wins this time, quite comfortably.

Wait ...what exactly are you talking about or responding to ?

This isn't relevant at all to the conversation we were having.

You said how things would have been different if Cody's knock down on TJ happened earlier in the round, and that's what I was responding to.

Nothing you wrote really has anything to do with anything
Well we've established that point already lol, Cody knocked TJ down in the first fight and TJ was rocked and wobbled back to his corner and had a full minute to recover
You're just trying to imagine what would have happened if Cody knocked TJ down earlier in the fight so who knows man!

My point is Cody needs to evolve, TJ is too much for him.

To be fair, TJ was lucky it happened at the end of the round and the bell rang. With Cody it happened mid-round.
How many seconds are in between rounds?

TJ was noticeably still on wobbly legs walking to start the 2nd round

Cody refused to go down though. You have to respect Cody's heart. You could tell Cody absolutely wanted to win this fight. I really did feel bad for Cody

I'm a fan of Cody and hope Cody takes his fights with TJ as a learning experience and bounces back

Didn't read, but TJ straight whooped that ass. Cody 'No Love"? More like Cody "No Belt."

Well we've established that point already lol, Cody knocked TJ down in the first fight and TJ was rocked and wobbled back to his corner and had a full minute to recover
You're just trying to imagine what would have happened if Cody knocked TJ down earlier in the fight so who knows man!

It's not like I'm basing it on speculation

We have already seen what happens when they box/exchange.

Cody going wild for the finish would have left himself open to getting countered by TJ

Yes Cody had TJ badly rocked, but it wasn't the kind of concussive - on your back knockdown where Cody would have only needed to follow up with a couple punches to get the stoppage or to put him out

When the knockdowns happened is really irrelevant

Do you think if Cody had been dropped at the end of round 1 tonight that he would've came back and won round 2 (or even gotten a stoppage in round 2) ?

lawblaw said:

Yep. That's what I said in my OP

Based on what we have seen in 2 fights, TJ always counters Cody in boxing exchanges

So even if Cody had dropped TJ at the start or middle of round 1, there's a big chance TJ would've just returned fire and gotten Cody.

Cody would need to lay TJ flat out on his back lol

You already saw TJ start to stand back up from the knockdown as soon as it happened

TJ could simply be the kryptonite to Cody

TJ is very under rated and is truly one of the best fighters in MMA. Don't let that fool you about Cody though. Cody is still a beast himself

So much for an intelligent conversation, you’re assuming sh*t by being biase.

TJ did not stand composed in fight one, he was saved by the bell. Don’t make sh*t up to support your views.

TJ is the better all around fighter.

Based on what we have seen in 2 fights, TJ always counters Cody in boxing exchanges

So even if Cody had dropped TJ at the start or middle of round 1, there's a big chance TJ would've just returned fire and gotten Cody.

Cody would need to lay TJ flat out on his back lol

You already saw TJ start to stand back up from the knockdown as soon as it happened

TJ could simply be the kryptonite to Cody

TJ is very under rated and is truly one of the best fighters in MMA. Don't let that fool you about Cody though. Cody is still a beast himself

TJ did not stand composed in fight one, he was saved by the bell. Don’t make sh*t up to support your views.

TJ is the better all around fighter.

P.s. How long have you been on Sherdog? You shouldn’t be surprised that feeding the trolls is never going to end well.

<{cruzshake}>

Do you think if Cody had been dropped at the end of round 1 tonight that he would've came back and won round 2 (or even gotten a stoppage in round 2) ?
No but its not because of his lack of recovery. I just think TJ is that much better.
Look at both fights, he was still trying to get back in the fight. He's tough and has a lot of heart, but you have to remember that TJ is an amazing finisher. Maybe if it was someone else like Cruz Cody would have recovered and came back. TJ just gave him a violent ass whooping!

Who knows?

This is also awful. When people start reaching and misinterpreting positions just to get an "I got you moment"

I'm intelligently speculating based on evidence of how things have actually played out between them.

So no you don't have a point..as If you are never allowed to speculate either...

You are the one speculating that TJ was able to fully recover to start the 2nd round

TJ came out for the 2nd still on wobbly legs

What you're really saying is that you cannot intelligently speculate. Now that's absurd.

No but its not because of his lack of recovery. I just think TJ is that much better.

Exactly. Which was my point in my OP: )

lawblaw said:
look at both fights, he was still trying to get back in the fight. He's tough and has a lot of heart, but you have to remember that TJ is an amazing finisher. Maybe if it was someone else like Cruz Cody would have recovered and came back. TJ just gave him a violent ass whooping!Who knows?

Yep. I said all this in my OP lol

I never doubted Cody's heart. I was chalking it up to TJ's superior fight IQ, composure, fortitude, and skill.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough and that's why some are taking issue?

To be clear, I'm not discrediting Cody's heart and never made the thread for the purpose of diminishing Cody. It's about observing how impressive TJ is

I don't know: )

Cruz is a really bad match up for TJ

Cruz prefers to fight from the outside. He will fient to off set. Set traps. He's always doing work, over loading an opponents sensory, and he's extremely patient. He's very intelligent and as tough as they come.

When they fought, one of the biggest things TJ had trouble with was getting Cruz to bite on anything and or getting Cruz to step in and box

Cruz was simply working his game from outside

It forced TJ to to have to go on the lead against Cruz to get anything done

And Cruz simply either stepped off and evaded, countered, or level changed into TDs or TD attempts

And another thing is that it's Cruz's game to misdirect to set up takedowns

Cruz will persue TDs against TJ. And even if he doesnt get them, it's another thing to get TJ to think about

Cruz will fake the shot and strike up top too

Cruz brings more dimensions into the fight against TJ then Cody did against TJ.

In the same way TJ is a bad matchup for Cody, Cruz really is a bad matchup for TJ.

The same way Cody needed to have the right gameplan to beat TJ, TJ needs to have the right gameplan himself to beat Cruz.

Cruz/Cody/TJ are the greatest love triangle in MMA lol

But there are things where you can look at that fight, and see what successes TJ had that he could potentially follow up on

Leg kicks

TJ can leg kick Cruz, and then when Cruz is off balance from kicks, rush/pursue with punches and combinations I.e off balancing an opponent and striking when off balance

Also if he wants to beat Cruz he has to find ways to get Cruz to lead (Which is a difficult task based on his style and the fact that Cruz knows everything TJ is trying to do)

Cody willingly leading and stepping into boxing range with TJ was already giving TJ half the battle

Cruz is too patient and too defensively minded for TJ.

And even if TJ hurts Cruz, you know Cruz will stay composed, and look to be making the necessary adjustments to come out on top.

Cruz isn't a hothead

Regardless, Cruz/Cody/TJ are all utterly amazing, and we are in such awesome awesome times to be able to see them competing vs each other in their primes

No he cant beat tj. Maybe in 20 fights he could win atleast 3 or 4

TJ was bobbing and weaving after he got rocked in the first fight and was already starting to find his footing again when the bell rang. He didn't come out dejected at all in the second round. He basically showed great composure after getting rocked. The guy is an amazing, well-rounded fighter and deserves props for his skillset.

Which means he can win in your own mind lol
Ok i admit but a very slim chance. He got humiliated 2 times already.thats going to be in his head and if they fought a 3rd time again hell lose hope and tj would annihalate him again

Back