1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Interesting look at TJ's ability to comeback in fight #1 vs Cody's inability to comeback in fight 2

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by PROlogic, Aug 5, 2018.

1. PROlogic

PROlogic Banned Banned

In fight #1 TJ was badly rocked.

Yet TJ stood composed, worked through it, made an adjustment, took back control of the fight, and handily won round 2 en route to a vicious KO

Yet in fight #2 when Cody was hurt he could not do the same. He could not stay composed.

He failed to make any adjustments, and he could not fight his way out and back into the fight like TJ did in fight #1 (let alone start to take it over like TJ in fight #1)

Just goes to show you the levels of mental strength and composure

TJ's composure, mental strength, and fight IQ are on another level

And the thing is Cody CAN beat TJ fighting the right gameplan

Cody fought a disciplined, patient, perfectly-gameplanned fight against Cruz

YET for what ever reason TJ just seems to always push Cody's buttons

Cody is too emotional and too much of a hothead against TJ to ever truly beat TJ

Cody's advantage vs TJ is on the outside controlling the fight with fients and footwork thus forcing TJ to rush in at him on a straignt line on his terms into his combinations

Yet against TJ he is always pressing, leading, and pushing Into boxing range where TJ has the advantage - and tries to get into boxing exchanges with TJ when TJ has the superior boxing/countering/defensive responsibility/higher IQ/more awareness in the pocket etc

Cody's temper and emotions are such a double edged sword. Against TJ its a huge weakness

I like both TJ and Cody

Im a fan of pure skill, and these 2 are some of the most skilled, so I appreciate both too.

Even though i felt bad for Cody getting absolutely creamed and annihilated in 1 round, you can't help but be impressed by TJ's insanely impressive performance

TJ is special

I like Cody. Tremendous fight all in all.

Hopefully Cody can bounce back. Cody still has a lot of work to do if he ever wants to beat TJ.

People do forget that Cody is only 26. So its entirely possible he matures both as a person and fighter

I just thought it was very interesting how TJ was able to comeback in fight #1, vs comparing that to how Cody was unable to comeback in fight #2...and in how that ultimately shows the superiority of TJ

Hoping Cody learns and bounces back..maybe it's best for Cody to actually leave TAM to go grow and expand his game and IQ..or at least go work with some new trainers...while he can still be TAM...maybe TAM needs to hire better coaches for Cody instead

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  2. Jim420316

Jim420316 Blue Belt

TJ was saved by the bell in their first fight, so it was a different situation. If Garbrandt had rocked TJ in their first fight with more time left on the clock, who knows how the fight might have gone. While that being said, Garbrandt has not shown great recovery skills in his fights. He turtles up and gives the referee the opportunity to stop the fight.

ytt, MGS and TheIrishPsycho like this.
  3. Leinster Rugby

Leinster Rugby Black Belt

Agree. Cogar Necktats can be a royal pain in the snizz what with his tough guy persona and all, but I enjoy watching him fight and want him to bounce back.

Just give him some time to hang wit da boyeeeeees and he’ll be fine.

ytt and Chok Sok Te like this.
  4. PROlogic

PROlogic Banned Banned

Based on what we have seen in 2 fights, TJ always counters Cody in boxing exchanges

So even if Cody had dropped TJ at the start or middle of round 1, there's a big chance TJ would've just returned fire and gotten Cody.

Cody would need to lay TJ flat out on his back lol

You already saw TJ start to stand back up from the knockdown as soon as it happened

TJ could simply be the kryptonite to Cody

TJ is very under rated and is truly one of the best fighters in MMA. Don't let that fool you about Cody though. Cody is still a beast himself

MGS likes this.
  5. TerraRayzing

TerraRayzing Little eagle soars again

Dom ruffled Cody worse during the pre fight. Dom and Cody both made a point that after the headbut and gash, Cody grew more confident and Dom got more ruffled.
    Gotta hand it to TJ, did not get rattled despite getting berated and bullied on TUF, mostly all alone. Learned from his fight with Cruz.

6. randomalias

randomalias Brown Belt

7. VB MMA

VB MMA Brown Belt

^^^^^This is a more accurate and unbiased assessment. Great Post!

8. PROlogic

PROlogic Banned Banned

Sadly sherdog has become nothing but a cesspool of nothing but trolls

They really do think they are funny or witty with their little memes...the irony being that they are being unoriginal by spamming memes every one else does...no one on sherdog has an original thought...sad what has happened to today's society/youth

mirellale likes this.
  9. PROlogic

PROlogic Banned Banned

Lmao

10. Lawblaw

Lawblaw Black Belt

pretty sure TJ getting saved by the bell had something to do with him coming back

11. PROlogic

PROlogic Banned Banned

Thank you

Tonight was one of the best cards of the year

Cejudo winning and ridding us of Mini Mouse. TJ vs Cody. Damn what an awesome night !

Still feel bad for Cody.

But man TJ is incredible

12. Individualthoughtpatterns

Individualthoughtpatterns Blue Belt

TJ looked excellent at every moment of the fight. Cody has power and speed but TJ looked better in every other aspect from movement to his ability to control the range and punish Cody on the inside. He pretty much won every exchange.
    And he has great killer instincts while not blowing his load and making errors.

Very entertaining fight and great heart by Cody but TJ is the better fighter.

PROlogic likes this.
  13. PROlogic

PROlogic Banned Banned

Fair point.

But ultimately it's all speculation on what would've happened if that knockdown had happened earlier

What do you think would've happened If Cody going for the finish went wild in the pocket? Even a hurt TJ would've had a great chance of countering him then.

Look at what happens every time they exchange lol

If you read the thread I really do like Cody and I am still complimentary of Cody

I'm just objective. I hope Cody learns and comes back

14. PROlogic

PROlogic Banned Banned

My real top 3 P4P in MMA based on actual legit skill is Conor, TJ, and Holloway

TJ is incredible

Before the fight I talked about how I couldn't understand the misconception that Cody was the better boxer or that Cody had the advantage in boxing range.

I was like hello did people not even watch fight number 1 lol

15. TerraRayzing

TerraRayzing Little eagle soars again

lol, this backfired for DJ, dude was seriously doing some next level ducking.
    I've been a TJ fan since TUF. He's goddamn amazing, if the split dec went his way, he would have been defending his belt for the 6th time. Cody is kind of an idiot.... but he's young and I do hope he bounces back soon.

PROlogic likes this.
  16. Lawblaw

Lawblaw Black Belt

Cody is tough and you could see he was not willing to lose but again, it was a very, very easy win for TJ. Cody has become too predictable!
    TJ knew that if he closes the distance Cody will get wild and throw the right hook and will lower his left hand so he can follow it up with the left hook, so he timed it and once Cody threw the right hook TJ countered him and knocked him out.

TJ's easiest win

17. Brom Bones

Brom Bones Green Belt

Is there any particular reason why you give each sentence it's own paragraph?

The point of that is to emphasize something.

But if you do it to each and every sentence...

It ends up defeating the purpose.

Like when someone highlights everything.

What was the purpose?

Highlighting should only be done for the important things.

Otherwise, it loses all effectiveness.

Hope you take this advice to heart.

Thanks.

christer and PROlogic like this.
  18. PROlogic

PROlogic Banned Banned

PS

It boggled my mind how people kept referring to TJ as the sterotypical kicker who when crowded is no longer effective

TJ is no Pettis/Barboza/RDA lol (interestingly enough RDA is also veey vulnerable to counter punchers)

TJ actually prefers boxing range

TJ is his most lethal from boxing range lol

In his breakout fight against Renan, TJ was constantly shifting in with unconventional combos/TJ was consistently in front of Renan in boxing range stepping around him and hitting him from his blind spots etc

Yes TJ kicks, but TJ is primarily a boxer who is an aggressive creative combination fighter, who loves to fight mid range to close range, always changing stances and shifting, and stepping around opponents, who likes to cap off his combos with a jab or his infamous step in shifting left high kick

Cody NEEDED to control the fight FROM THE OUTSIDE to win

@TerraRayzing

TerraRayzing likes this.
  19. PROlogic

PROlogic Banned Banned

Wait ...what exactly are you talking about or responding to ?

This isn't relevant at all to the conversation we were having.

You said how things would have been different if Cody's knock down on TJ happened earlier in the round, and that's what I was responding to.

20. Iroh

Iroh The Dragon of the West Platinum Member

To be fair, TJ was lucky it happened at the end of the round and the bell rang. With Cody it happened mid-round.

PROlogic likes this.