Interesting Bio on Kimura

Pyle1500

White Belt
Reaction score
I was googling some stuff and came upon this. http://judoinfo.com/kimura2.htm its an excerpt from Kimura's book "My Judo". I don't understand what all the names of the moves are but it is still an interesting read. It also covers his match with Helio, but seems dismissive of him. Good read overall.

been posted before, but I always love reading things about Kimura, he had insane work ethic.

Kimura is a great role model, not just for his natural talent , but for his work ethic. very humble man for being such a bad ass. the chapter where he fought santana was my favorite. i have 2 dogs, red and blue pits, one is named Helio and the other Kimura.

kimura was also not just a judoka but a japanese puro godfather along the likes of rikidozan......

put tha tin ya ppipe n smoke it hatters :p

Interesting reading. Apparently Helio hadn't started calling the Judo he learned from Maeda Juijitsu yet, because Kimura says he was a 6th Dan in Judo.

Nah they called it Jiu Jitsu, but it was understood back then that Judo = Jiu Jitsu, and Gracie Jiu Jitsu would distinguish their techniques from Sport Judo...

Actually Maeda started learning traditional JuJitsu before Kodokan Judo. But after the decline in popularity of JuJitsu due to the prominence of Judo, he decided to take up the study. As most of you know he's one of the most famous names in Judo and was one of Kano's more successful students that went to spread the word of Judo around the world. What he taught Helio though, was basically his own style he derived from combining traditional JuJitsu with Judo.

good read, think this part is quite good;

"I was standing at the end of a line of 60 or 70 people waiting for a train at the Mukae-Machi station (near Kumamoto city, Kumamoto prefecture, Japan), and was reading a paperback. Suddenly, 4 MP men passed through the line nearby me forcibly. When I turned my eyes to them, I found them shouting, "***, ***" repeatedly. One of them grabbed the Japanese man at the front of the line by the collar, pulled the Japanese man toward him. He then made a ring with the pointing finger and the thumb, and struck the nose of the Japanese man with the flipped pointing finger with full force. The man covered his nose with his hands, and stooped down from the pain. The MP men did this to everyone on the line one by one including women. When someone did not stoop down, they delivered another strike. My turn was approaching. While I was wondering about what to do, my turn came. One of the MP men extended his arm trying to grab my lapel. I struck his hand with full force. Their facial expression changed suddenly. The four MP men surrounded me and took me to the middle of Nagaroku Bridge nearby the station. This was not an ordinary fight to me. I had to win this fight to defend the honor of judo. One of them suddenly threw a right straight at my face. I blocked the punch with my left arm, and kicked him in the groin with full force. He crumbled on the spot. When I turned back my head, another huge MP extended his arms and attacked me trying to grab me from behind. I then hit his right arm hard with knife hand, and then threw him into the river by Seoi-nage. The other two were watching this scene in amazement, but charged at me one by one. I delivered a head butt into the face of the third man. He was knocked out. I disposed of the last man by squeezing his balls with full force. Ever since I was in junior high, I have been called Master Groin Squeezer, and had absolute confidence in this technique."

especially the last sentence, "I have been called Master Groin Squeezer, and had absolute confidence in this technique."

lol

Lol, master groin squeezer. Don't piss that man off.

lol, now THAT'S JUDO.. Shows was again the people wrong who say Judo isn't effective on the streets.

BraziliaTopTeam said:
Actually Maeda started learning traditional JuJitsu before Kodokan Judo. But after the decline in popularity of JuJitsu due to the prominence of Judo, he decided to take up the study. As most of you know he's one of the most famous names in Judo and was one of Kano's more successful students that went to spread the word of Judo around the world. What he taught Helio though, was basically his own style he derived from combining traditional JuJitsu with Judo.

They style of jiu jitsu maeda studied was a striking art man...not grappling.... the gracies learned pure judo and expanded on it for self defense and vale tudo....all the holds throws and pins were all judo give or take a few catch holds he picked up, that the gracies never even used anyway......as for judo, judo was meant to preserve jiu jitsu and that's why when kano first came out his judo was called KANO RYU JIU JITSU...At the time maeda was traveling judo and jiu jitsu were synonomous and judo wa the most popular style of jujutsu. the deadly techniques that kano took out weren't leg locks and and such but rather eye gouges, fish hooks, adams apples strikes etc...... All the moves in BJJ were in Judo first in the curriculum and extra curriculum.. They may have made the moves illegal for competition, but Kano never intended the holds to be not trained anymore, or else he wouldn't have had them in the curriculum in the first place....

Damn that excerpt is kickass! I love it!

Back