Interesting audio books (can be grappling related)

snakeybizz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So I'm going to do some cardio later and have recently been listening to audio books to pass the time, burn calories and get smarter all at the time

I have been listening to "Mastery" by Robert Greene. Greene's books seem to be popular with a lot of grappler's as his books can be applied to many aspects of life kind of like "The Art of War" book can be applied to many things such as business and sport.

So I was wondering if any of you know any decent audio books that tackle deep or interesting topics such as philosophy, sociology, skill mastery etc

It doesn't necessarily have to be related to jiu jitsu, all recommendations will be welcomed :)

If you like history, I recommend you look at the Great Courses series from The Teaching Company. I

The Book of 5 Rings by Miyamoto Musashi
The Prince by Niccollo Machievelli
The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Bekker

+10 for The Great Courses. I have dozens of courses in video and audio formats and they've made it that much more convenient now that we can stream.

Nice, I do the same thing: strap on the headphones, fire up an audiobook or podcast, and get to work on the rowing machine. I recently read (not listened to) The Willpower Instinct by Kelly McGonigal, and it was very good. I just finished listening to The Power of Habit by Charles Duhig (sp???), and it was absolutely fantastic, one of if not the best book I've read this year, definitely the best nonfiction. It had the added bonus of the narrator not being irritating, like unfortunately a lot of them are. If you're looking for something decidedly not grappling related and you're a history nerd like me, I highly recommend Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast. They're free and they run the range of history, but it's only the good stuff; no Smoot-Hawley Tariff and boring shit like that you learned in high school.

Nice, I do the same thing: strap on the headphones, fire up an audiobook or podcast, and get to work on the rowing machine. I recently read (not listened to) The Willpower Instinct by Kelly McGonigal, and it was very good. I just finished listening to The Power of Habit by Charles Duhig (sp???), and it was absolutely fantastic, one of if not the best book I've read this year, definitely the best nonfiction. It had the added bonus of the narrator not being irritating, like unfortunately a lot of them are. If you're looking for something decidedly not grappling related and you're a history nerd like me, I highly recommend Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast. They're free and they run the range of history, but it's only the good stuff; no Smoot-Hawley Tariff and boring shit like that you learned in high school.

the power of habit is on my list of things to listen to, right now listening to the 48 laws of power by robert greene...such a great idea to listen to audiobooks when doing cardio, can't believe i've only just tried it!

Back