Interesting American style kickboxing vs muay thai fight from 1988

Not sure about thai's probably not.

Dekker's did and he said he didn't like it.

The problem with above the waist kickboxing for me is depending on the kick count the rules reward a lot of bobbing and weaving that can make for some really ugly fights, it's not really slick head movement but a lot of wading into the clinch. The guys who use that style would come unstuck under rules that allow knee's to the head.

That said there were still some guys competing under those rules who I thought had a pretty cool style.

Did any thais compete full above waist rules?

Kung Pong Sarkongpitak

There was a guy named John Souhtivong. I think he was Thai, but may have been from Laos.

There were others, but can't come up with the names at the moment. There was a list I saw somewhere years ago, it might have been on one of the other KB forums maybe.

Kung Pong Sarkongpitak

There was a guy named John Souhtivong. I think he was Thai, but may have been from Laos.

There were others, but can't come up with the names at the moment. There was a list I saw somewhere years ago, it might have been on one of the other KB forums maybe.
How did they perform?

Both these guys fought back in the 1980's.

Sarkongpitak had a record of 70-14 41 KO's back around 1983. Most of those fights were MT fights in Thailand. The only fight I saw him in was vs Tony Morelli in BC, Canada and Morelli won by KO. I know Sarkongpitak had other FC rule fights in Canada, but I don't know the results or who the opponents were.

Souhtivong had a record of 8-2 4 KO's back in 1987. In the fight I have of his, he lost to Bill Taylor by UD. I'm pretty sure that Souhtivong is the muay thai fight promoter in California known as "B John".

I don't consider him "shiny pants" but American Kickboxer Benny Urquidez fought pretty much every rule set even early forms of MMA and went and fought a lot in Japanese Kickboxing in the 70's which at the time was was basically Muay Thai. His style was certainly effective and he's a pioneer of all Kickfighting.

Back