Inter-racial Sherbros - or Parents of inter-racial kids: Question...

Ill put it like this: I've never been called a cracker or honky but I have been called the N-word plenty of times

I am interracial. My mom is French and German while my Father is English and Irish.

Ill put it like this: I've never been called a cracker or honky but I have been called the N-word plenty of times

When I was young a black kid randomly kicked my sister in the face and called her a white bitch. She was 7 years old at the time.

When I was young a black kid randomly kicked my sister in the face and called her a white bitch. She was 7 years old at the time.

1f719c7e7e0c84742ffd3ce166aa358d5e29faa1159192f26f6276b8e2de58ad.jpg

Half and half...

White folk always referred to me as "that Asian guy" in college...even though I have very pronounced Caucasian and Asian features.

Pure bloods back home would occasionally try to fight me in grade school...

Most were cool though....most wanted me to translate the word "fuck" to them. Lol.

Korean girls loved me...

I definitely identify with my Asian side more, because that's what people see me as and my cultural upbringing is heavily rooted in it.

I definitely went through an identity crisis growing up.

I understand. Well that is one other good reason to be an American huh?
I'd find it hard living somewhere like China, or most of the world which is so not diverse and tribalistic. I can respect it, but am glad that the USA is its own little different niche from that. Anyone can be an American, but I don't feel anyone can be a Chinese for example.

What I mean by that is that ethno identity and all that jazz doesn't define an American like it defines people in much of the world.

There are people that identify as chinese or hispanic or whatever here, but a lot of people born and raised here just identify as Americans.

That is a positive to living in such a blended culture, you don't feel shunned just for looking different from the majority like you would in say japan.

The area I live in has a rather diverse population mexican, Russian, different kinds of asians, blacks, indians etc.

When I was younger there were a lot more people that felt only whites were really accepted as being American, but the culture has changed drastically in just a couple decades.

I’m not mixed but a lot of third culture kids, or kids placed in a culture different from their families’ seem to grow up with a crisis in identity. I was no exception. My answer to that was to not limit my identity to race or culture. I’m me. Other people and government documents may have a word to categorize me but I don’t find a particular attachment to a word.

There are people that identify as chinese or hispanic or whatever here, but a lot of people born and raised here just identify as Americans.

That is a positive to living in such a blended culture, you don't feel shunned just for looking different from the majority like you would in say japan.

The area I live in has a rather diverse population mexican, Russian, different kinds of asians, blacks, indians etc.

When I was younger there were a lot more people that felt only whites were really accepted as being American, but the culture has changed drastically in just a couple decades.

Yea, this was my observation as well....the whiter you were, the more American you were.

In our school, we had best looking , most likely to suceed, etc in our yearbooks

We also had an "all American " category...

It was always the whitest folk who won that, lol.

Mexican American. My dad came here as an exchange student. They sent him to Montana of all places. My mom is as white as can be. Her whole family are like duck dynasty characters. My dad's family are all still in Mexico. My kids are only a quarter Mexican but I've fought hard to pass on the culture so it doesn't die with me. Wait, what was the question again?

I'm whitey white and my wife is 100% chilean. We had a son 8 weeks ago who looks whitey white. We'll see how well he tans though.

I'm of mixed heritage but I identify myself as alienated. I can't stand identity politics and I don't belong to a specific culture. Labels are too often used so people can categorize you based on preconceived notions.

I'm 15/16ths Norwegian, and 1/16th Swedish, and my internal cultural struggle is tearing me apart, tbh.

I self-identify as a dork.

My kids are Caucasian/Asian mix if that is even a thing, my daughter looks strait up white and in my son you can see some of the Asian, they both identify with being American since they are. They both speak English and Thai to a lesser extent, but the wife makes good and sure they know about her heritage and they mingle with Thai crowds quite often. The thing is kids don't want to be seen as different and just want to fit in so they will usually take on the traits of the environment they where they can just be themselves.

I've seen half Chinese guys claiming to hate Asians, half Indians girls saying they hate india, etc.

All that means is they've been to India. Many overseas born Indians (they're called NRIs, non-resident Indians) aren't exactly big on the motherland.

In the US my wife is Latina, Hispanic, etc. In Argentina she is just white. We have to label people in the US so we know where everyone stands. It's a pity really.
Divide and conquer bro.

Back