Inter-racial Sherbros - or Parents of inter-racial kids: Question...

Brampton_Boy

Douchey Mc Douche
@red
Reaction score
Which culture/race do you (or your children) identify with, and why?

I have two reasons for asking this question:

1) My research examines ethnic variation in environmental attitudes and behaviors, and right now, we treat interracial respondents as "Other"

2) On a personal note, all of my siblings married inter-racially (Mexican, Dutch/Chinese, Indian), and I don't notice any sort of pattern with my nieces and nephews. My brothers kids identify as Mexican, my sisters kid identify as Guyanese. Nobody on either side is particularly forceful when it comes to cultural identity, so it's not like they are forcing one culture on their kids.

Any insights you could offer would be much appreciated.

My wifes father is Mexican but she doesnt speak Spanish at all - I don't really think she identifies with being Hispanic. Her eldest daughter identifies with Hot Topic.

Something something something dark side.

My wifes father is Mexican but doesnt speak Spanish at all - I don't really think she identifies with being Hispanic. Her eldest daughter identifies with Hot Topic.

you're in texas, right? that seems to be relatively-common in texas. i think hispanics in texas, and parts of the south, view being hispanic in a different way, than in say california and the west coast. hispanics in texas tend to see themselves as either american-first and mexican-second, or they see themselves as american-only, which is the way i think americans of mexican-descent should label themselves. i, myself, am an american of mexican-descent, and i don't call myself mexican, because i was not born or raised in mexico. so yeah i think it makes sense that she doesn't speak spanish at all. in a place like texas where they really take pride in being an american, it appears to be frowned upon to speak spanish.

that's what i noticed when i visited texas several years ago.

I identify as Mexican because white people are lame and I hate mayonnaise

I'd say that's fairly accurate and yes, I live in Texas.

My mom was born and raised in Japan. My dad is the son of Eastern European immigrants.

I identify myself as Japanese on all gov't forms.. otherwise, I'm stuck in a gray area.

Ex girlfriend was black, Mexican and American Indian, identified as black. She had full immunity on all the best jokes.

Depends on whatever part of me has the upper hand at the time.

I'm a jacked white boy deal with it.

But seriously I agree with what some others have said, my cousins are half-Mexican and half-white but don't speak Spanish (their mother does).

I've never heard them call themselves Mexican but they're clearly not white (actually look Middle-Eastern lmao) so I'm sure they wouldn't say they're white either. Probably just identify as American and leave it at that.

Depends on whatever part of me has the upper hand at the time.

Pretty much this. Or I just say Canadian, which is met with "no, but where do your parents come from?". Then I just explain my family tree to them.

It depends on what you mean by "identify with".

My dad is Cape Verdean and my mom is a mixture of white western european decent. People who don't know me tend to assume I am white, and I think I get treated that way. But if I'm asked "what are you?" or any variation of that I say "Mixed, half white, half Cape Verdean." or "Half white, half black." depending on how much explaining I feel like doing.

On forms, I tend to mark mixed or other.

*hearty racist laughter*
92514311e81dd179fd9e9c32b8250843fc979d232ea917cc516ec4225d8fc6ac_1.jpg

I am white but my paternal line goes back to southern France, which the Arabs invaded.

Also, being French Canadian I have ancestry from Bretagne which is celtic.

These 2 factors together result in the irrefutable fact that I am not white but of darkish ancestry.

So count me in the club of white North Americans that are not white.

Am I doing this right ?

White and black which I think is really the worst of both worlds. I'm black to white people and white to black people.

Plenty of people have told me I'm not "black enough", which is pretty damn irritating. I was raised by a white woman in the white trash ghetto around poor white people, so of course I don't look and sound like a rap video.

I don't really identify strongly with any culture, and just consider myself an American. I find it annoying when people get their entire sense of self from whatever ethnicity they were randomly born as.

Back