intensive training then returning to 2/week.

shouldercharge

Dave Camarillo idoliser
Reaction score
in my college holiays i'm considering going to a different town to train for the first 10 weeks i'll be training 2 hours a day monday to friday no-gi,then 3 1hr long sessions of gi bjj a week plus a 2hr open mat saturday.

i'll have a 2-week break over xmas/new year then be training 13hours of gi bjj a week plus the weekend open mat.

after this i'll be back home to three sessions of judo a week 2 of bjj and an hour long session of rolling no gi a week.

judo is my main focus but absolutely love bjj its just that theres more oportunities for competition in judo where i live and only 2 schools teaching bj.one i went to for 6months and hated,and the mma gym i train at wich offers a jiujitsu class but we can't officially grade in bjj (the coach has only been graded to purple) and training is only twice a week.

i will also return to the other city to train full-time for 1-2weeks at a time every 2-3 months.

is there any point doing this or when i go back to the 2 sessions a week will i just lose the skills ive gained to the point where it wont be worth it.

anyone done this or know someone that has,how did itwork out? how well did they retain there skills after being back for a few months?

train train train

Last edited:
I did this over the summer, but something like 20 hours a week. I hurt my back weightlifting after about a month though. I must say though that i was improving very fast.

I did this over the summer, but something like 20 hours a week. I hurt my back weightlifting after about a month though. I must say though that i was improving very fast.

how much do you train normally and how have the skills held up?

its going to cost me quite alot of money plus time away from my partner but i'm very passionate about grappling both judo and jiujitsu,and mma and really want to succeed to a high level,ive got to make up for starting late some how!!! but i'm just worried im going to spend 3 months training my ass off away from friends and family then in a years time i'm only going to be at the same level i'd be if i hadnt bothered.

Back