Intensity and duration of pad work?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by 350 lbs fist, Oct 30, 2010.

1. 350 lbs fist

350 lbs fist Black Belt

What would in your mind constitute a good exercise AND tech training on pads for thai and boxing?

I feel my tech gets real sloppy when I go too long and fear that I might develop bad habits from it but I'm also curious as to how long rounds and how many rounds people of the non-pro stature usually go?

2. 663

663 White Belt

3minute rounds and as many rounds as needed. the pad holder has to be telling you your mistakes for it to be affective.

3. 350 lbs fist

350 lbs fist Black Belt

How many do you do?

In regular trainings we do 5 minute rounds and probably 5 each.

When I train outside of those I do 3-5 depending upon my daily shape.

4. tendersurrender

tendersurrender Green Belt

5 rounds of 5 minute training sounds just about right.

5. MisterT

MisterT Brown Belt

Once a week, my instructor has me do intensive mit work for my boxing.

We simulate a real fight by going 10 rounds (3 minutes per round) with 1 minute rest in between each round.
    In the first 3 rounds, my instructor has me go about 40% while he calls out combinations.
    For the next 4 rounds, he calls out combos and has me go 100%.
    Finally, in the last 3 rounds, he has me go at 60% while he calls out the combos.

Since I started doing this, I've noticed that I've improved my stamina, my combinations look more crisp, my head movement has improved (in the middle of many combos, instructor throws out jabs/crosses/hooks and has me slip/roll under them), and my footwork looks alot better (we move around the ring while he calls out the combos).

Honestly, I think it does wonders for aspiring boxers. It's like the second best thing to sparring (since you don't get hit back too much) and it's a great tool for improving on the fundementals while building up your stamina/hand speed/etc.

Again, we only do this about once every two weeks. For my regular pad work we usually go about 2 rounds (3 minutes each).

6. neomage2021

neomage2021 Silver Belt

I usually do 5, 5 min rounds. Make sure the guy holding the pads for you is really paying attention to your technique and everything you are doing and giving you feedback.

I tend to want the rounds to be moderately intense. Intense enough to push me but not so much that i lose technique

7. 350 lbs fist

350 lbs fist Black Belt

Wow!

Is that a private session or a normal training?

Seems like the instructor puts alot of time into each student ( which is a good thing of course ) if he does that as part of regular sessions.

8. Foppa21

Foppa21 Black Belt

My coach tends to do weekly pad sessions. Between 2-5 min rounds for an hour. I go about 60% on average. The length of rounds depends on how crisp I still feel. If he feels the technique is starting to drop off due to fatigue he stops it. Doesn't tend to cut it short (he'll nurse me to the end of the round if need be) but if I'm still feeling good when the timer goes he'll just keep going for another 30s or so and then cut the break short.

9. xilliun

xilliun Brown Belt

5 x 3 minute rounds at 100% for muay thai

10. MisterT

MisterT Brown Belt

It's kinda like a private session which occurs outside the normal class times/. The place I go to is mainly a BJJ school who hired a Muay Thai instructor for the boxing/mt classes. On Sundays, the school has an "Open Mat" session where the BJJ guys come and roll with one another.

My instructor decided he wanted to have something like an "Open Mat" session for mt/boxing too. So what he did was that every other Sunday, he has this mit session and you can just sign up for it. Our mt/boxing class is kinda small at the moment (about 10 ppl) so its not so hard for him to devote time.

As the class gets bigger, I'm sure he'll start charging for the mits session but, as of now, its free for students.

11. grrthetree

grrthetree Green Belt

Closer to fight time my gym would have us doing specific times, like 3x3 min rounds. If its just regular class it can be anywhere from 5x5 min rounds, 10x3 min rounds, or anything really. We do this one drill where we go from 1-10, doing each combo for one minute, for one 10 minute round, plus any tech work etc.

12. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

i dont train mma. But for muay thai, we do 5 x 3 min rounds pads, 5 x 3 min rounds sparring, and then 5 x 3 min round clinching only.