Intelligence = fear

Now that I understand the UFC champs are insolvent, I view their demands for bizarre matches much more favourably. I reckon McGregor lost his non-title fight because he had been up for a month worrying about his bills.

lol I love this. Everyone rallies behind bad match-ups because they're just soooooo worried about their favourite fighters bank balances. Woodley just made $350,000 for beating Lawler and he's in the middle of an 8 fight contract. He already has a net worth of $2 million.

Yup, sounds like he's super hard up and really, really deserves a break. I mean, how can he even feed his children. We got military and police making 50k a year or probably less and Tyron only has $2 million in the bank :( We gotta cut this guy some slack.

If T-Wood was so smart, then why did he choose to make such an unpopular comment about fighting Diaz that mostly turned some fans against him and made him more marginalized?

You don't know me from Adam, so I don't know on what basis you're saying that. As it happens, I've shied away from professional opportunities I could have enjoyed to the detriment of my craft. I'm not an athlete and the most successful people in my field earn much less than a successful athlete, but still, these kind of compromises are possible in so many walks of life.
I don't know you from Adam anymore than you know these athletes from Adam.

In the sher-bro-world, it is funny how people criticize these guys like Woodley and Bisping as cowards--for wanting to fight big-names and seemingly easier competition. It's not fear--it's intelligence.

First of all: No fighter is "scared" of anybody. These guys will fight anyone, they don't care. What they ALL want is to be PAID. Why fight a guy because the rankings say he's #1 (its as subjective as anything, anyway), vs. another guy that may be easier and you'll get a lot more money! Woodley isn't scared of Wonderboy--Wonderboy is not a needle-mover. Bisping isn't afraid of Weidman--he just sees a better opportunity with Hendo. This isn't fear--it is being smart.

The bottom line being: they don't get paid enough. You may disagree with who they want to fight, but it isn't because they're scared.

I agree.
Like ive said before, blame the UFC for this, not the fighters. UFC should stipulate contracts in a way where it always makes more sense for the champ to fight the nr1 guy.

In the sher-bro-world, it is funny how people criticize these guys like Woodley and Bisping as cowards--for wanting to fight big-names and seemingly easier competition. It's not fear--it's intelligence.

First of all: No fighter is "scared" of anybody. These guys will fight anyone, they don't care. What they ALL want is to be PAID. Why fight a guy because the rankings say he's #1 (its as subjective as anything, anyway), vs. another guy that may be easier and you'll get a lot more money! Woodley isn't scared of Wonderboy--Wonderboy is not a needle-mover. Bisping isn't afraid of Weidman--he just sees a better opportunity with Hendo. This isn't fear--it is being smart.

The bottom line being: they don't get paid enough. You may disagree with who they want to fight, but it isn't because they're scared.
I CALL BULLSHIT TS.

ABSOLUTLY a fighter can be scared of losing. And losing for Tyron would mean losing money.
If he lost the strap he wouldn't make half the money in his next fight. So in that sense he is scared of losing. There is a much better chance of a payday when you are champ.
So Tyron is fighting game in more ways than physically.
He has to make as much money as he can make in each fight ( that isn't Wonderboy btw) and he has to win.
That makes fights with gsp, or Diaz more appealing. Is he scared of Wonderboy? I don't think so. He is scared of losing the opportunity to make millions.

I don't know you from Adam anymore than you know these athletes from Adam.

Quite right. I don't make gratuitous assumptions about them: I'm commenting on statements they've made publicly.

lol I love this. Everyone rallies behind bad match-ups because they're just soooooo worried about their favourite fighters bank balances. Woodley just made $350,000 for beating Lawler and he's in the middle of an 8 fight contract. He already has a net worth of $2 million.

Yup, sounds like he's super hard up and really, really deserves a break. I mean, how can he even feed his children. We got military and police making 50k a year or probably less and Tyron only has $2 million in the bank :( We gotta cut this guy some slack.
He made 350000 minus expenses, coaches fees and taxes.
How the hell do you know how much $ he still has in the bank ?
2 million in earnings gets raped by the Irs and he has tall expense lists to boot. Remember that he will not get paid for the next 6 months until he fights again, and he hadn't been paid for 18 months prior to that. Plenty of people have earned 2 million $ by age 35 and they certainly don't have it all in the bank. 2 million isn't that "rich" when you have high bills and a small window of time to accrue it all.

Quite right. I don't make gratuitous assumptions about them: I'm commenting on statements they've made publicly.
Sounds like you are a little wounded at the moment. I never said anything about selling your soul for money.
I said easy money.
Basically Tyron can get a big payday, and if he wins, he can fight Wonderboy, or whoever is next in line. So Wonderboy waits four months or so, and Tyron changes his life. There is no moral implication for him.

Easy money where you can take a little detour and make a pile of cash, where is the problem?
It is the same as taking a movie role. Take a little break and make some money.

I think you are reading into what I said a little too much. I stand by what I said. If you have a moral problem with how you get the extra cash, it isn't easy money.

Easy money where you can take a little detour and make a pile of cash, where is the problem?
It is the same as taking a movie role. Take a little break and make some money.

I have nothing against easy money when getting it doesn't detract from a commitment to excellence. For instance, a celebrity endorsing a product he believes to be good is easy, unobjectionable money. Maybe you can see my point if you focus more on the championship and less on the individual who holds it. Between championship fights being spectacles and their pairing the most deserving individuals, the latter seems like the more worthy goal. When visibility counts for more than achievement, it undermines the value of the title being contested.

I have nothing against easy money when getting it doesn't detract from a commitment to excellence. For instance, a celebrity endorsing a product he believes to be good is easy, unobjectionable money. Maybe you can see my point if you focus more on the championship and less on the individual who holds it. Between championship fights being spectacles and their pairing the most deserving individuals, the latter seems like the more worthy goal. When visibility counts for more than achievement, it undermines the value of the title being contested.
Without a doubt.
The problem I see for a guy like Woodley and others vs. someone like Conor or Ronda is this: They all hold the same titles. But Conor and Ronda won the charisma lottery. They have the 'it factor'. They will make money regardless.
Holly had the chance to wait for Ronda and make a pile of cash, and chose to do the 'noble' thing and fought. Now, a lot of people think she made a big mistake. Now she is largely forgotten. Had Ronda won, Holly would have made $$$$ and there would probably have been a third lucrative fight.
You are damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Personally, my family's future comes first.
That said, I'm not going to sacrifice my values for money.

5890.jpg

Dune reference FTW.

He made 350000 minus expenses, coaches fees and taxes.
How the hell do you know how much $ he still has in the bank ?
2 million in earnings gets raped by the Irs and he has tall expense lists to boot. Remember that he will not get paid for the next 6 months until he fights again, and he hadn't been paid for 18 months prior to that. Plenty of people have earned 2 million $ by age 35 and they certainly don't have it all in the bank. 2 million isn't that "rich" when you have high bills and a small window of time to accrue it all.

Poor Tyron. I feel bad. That rich life is really hard.. Like... you gotta pay taxes on all your riches and shit. That's rough.

Yes, $350,000/fight. If he fights 3x a year then he's making over a million a year, not including endorsements. So.... yeah.... don't feel sorry.

Woodley knows he'll lose to Wonderboy, that's why he's calling out Diaz.

I call that atleast partly scared, scared of losing the belt before he gets paid.
so he's afraid of Wonderboy, yet calls out the best WW ever in GSP?

so he's afraid of Wonderboy, yet calls out the best WW ever in GSP?
GSP hasn't fought in over 3 years and his strongest skills are his Wrestling with no knockout power and doesn't have the best chin in the world.

Thompson is a tougher match-up for Woodley, and he knows it. A good rangy striker with knockout power and good/much improved takedown defense, who's already beaten two of the best in the division, one of which completely dismantled Woodley. He's also on a hot streak/active/sharp.

And besides, if he loses too GSP it doesn't matter because he still got paid. He's afraid of losing too Wonderboy before he gets a big pay day.

Having a loss too Thompson is worse than GSP aswell, so he's more willing to take a gamble with a GSP fight over Wonderboy.

Without a doubt.
The problem I see for a guy like Woodley and others vs. someone like Conor or Ronda is this: They all hold the same titles. But Conor and Ronda won the charisma lottery. They have the 'it factor'. They will make money regardless.
Holly had the chance to wait for Ronda and make a pile of cash, and chose to do the 'noble' thing and fought. Now, a lot of people think she made a big mistake. Now she is largely forgotten. Had Ronda won, Holly would have made $$$$ and there would probably have been a third lucrative fight.
You are damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Personally, my family's future comes first.
That said, I'm not going to sacrifice my values for money.

I think we're on the same page after all.

You might as well go stand by a freely and yell at the cars and tell people to drive more safely and be more courteous to others

Fighters should get get consistent pay per fight no matter who they fight.

I think we're on the same page after all.
That's why I come here to discuss ideas. I'm not here to push my points. I look forward to more discussion.

I'd like to think if I were a career fighter who had won the championship, I would take enough pride in my work to want the most challenging opponents available.
Wife, kids, mortgage, bills, bills, bills, responsibilites, occasional pleasures.

You want to fight the best but you should also want to maximize your fiscal worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back