Intelligence = fear

If they are inteligent they should push for a fighters union instead of continuing this bs popularity contest.

"Boxing is a sport of self-control. You must understand fear so you can manipulate it. Fear is like fire. You can make it work for you: it can warm you in the winter, cook your food when you're hungry, give you light when you are in the dark, and produce energy. Let it get out of control and it can hurt you, even kill you..Fear is a friend of exceptional people." Cus D'Amato.

idk, Bisping is pretty scared, considering he was offered the fight a year ago and he said no, but the second he got the belt and was going to be scheduled to fight Jacare, he then started shitting on Henderson immediately. He knew what he was doing, but let's not pretend it's not fear.

You also don't have to be afraid of someone to duck them. Woodley is ducking Wonderboy, Bisping is ducking Jacare, McGregor ducked Edgar, these are the things we know

Its really simple. Fighters want to maximize their money while minimizing their risk. Obviously a fighter that is both bigger money and lower risk will be more attractive than a little-known dangerous challenger. Any fighter who does anything different is just plain dumb.

GSP is the biggest money (at least a million PPV, maybe more) and Woodley probably feels is medium to high risk. Diaz is medium money (probably like 500-700k PPV) and lower risk. Wonderboy is really high risk and very low money - PPV probably would be like 250k - he would be insane to ask for that fight. He would eventually have to do it of course and if Wonderboy keeps racking up impressive wins the hype will be bigger and a bigger PPV draw by then.

Lawler said it best regarding Woodley, he's an athlete and competitor, but he's not a real fighter. Yes he said that before getting ktfo by him lol

In the sher-bro-world, it is funny how people criticize these guys like Woodley and Bisping as cowards--for wanting to fight big-names and seemingly easier competition. It's not fear--it's intelligence.

First of all: No fighter is "scared" of anybody. These guys will fight anyone, they don't care. What they ALL want is to be PAID. Why fight a guy because the rankings say he's #1 (its as subjective as anything, anyway), vs. another guy that may be easier and you'll get a lot more money! Woodley isn't scared of Wonderboy--Wonderboy is not a needle-mover. Bisping isn't afraid of Weidman--he just sees a better opportunity with Hendo. This isn't fear--it is being smart.

The bottom line being: they don't get paid enough. You may disagree with who they want to fight, but it isn't because they're scared.

5890.jpg

It's actually ridiculous that anyone thinks Woodley is scared of Wonderboy. Of the contenders if I was Woodley I'd be picking Wonderboy or Maia as my easiest fights

Wonderboy has this ko power, someone who can pull a ko at any moment is never an easy fight imo

Also if you think that fighters are not scared of opponents then maybe watch some prime Silva, GSP, Wanderlei, Fedor, etc fights. Their opponents are deer in the headlights.

In the sher-bro-world, it is funny how people criticize these guys like Woodley and Bisping as cowards--for wanting to fight big-names and seemingly easier competition. It's not fear--it's intelligence.

First of all: No fighter is "scared" of anybody. These guys will fight anyone, they don't care. What they ALL want is to be PAID. Why fight a guy because the rankings say he's #1 (its as subjective as anything, anyway), vs. another guy that may be easier and you'll get a lot more money! Woodley isn't scared of Wonderboy--Wonderboy is not a needle-mover. Bisping isn't afraid of Weidman--he just sees a better opportunity with Hendo. This isn't fear--it is being smart.

The bottom line being: they don't get paid enough. You may disagree with who they want to fight, but it isn't because they're scared.

Agreed.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck . . .

So...woodley, whose in talks to fight GSP, a future hall of famer and potential GOAT...is scared of a dude that...is in no shape/form close to him?
Man GTFO.
In your eyes, wonderboy can beat GSP, right?

Woodley knows he'll lose to Wonderboy, that's why he's calling out Diaz.

I call that atleast partly scared, scared of losing the belt before he gets paid.

So hell fight GSP..as ive said before, one of the Greatest fighters in MMA?
Everyone thinks wonderboy is better than GSP apparently.

The word was easiest. Not easy.
I saw how he handled Hendricks who I think is a shadow of himself. I saw how he beat the crap out of Rory for sure.

But I think styles make fights frankly. If it wasn't for layoffs, GSP would EASILY be a massive favorite over Tyron. He eats fighters like Tyron for lunch. Even with the layoff he is the deserving favorite in that fight.

Wonderboy is the far easier stylistic matchup for Tyron imho.

Thank you!

Im amazed at these sherdoggers and wonderboy riders...that they basically believe Wonderboy is BETTER than GSP.
GSP would get wonderboy down so fast and the fight would be over!

Wonderboy will be there after GSP...that is...if there IS an after.

I'd like to think if I were a career fighter who had won the championship, I would take enough pride in my work to want the most challenging opponents available.
See how you feel about that when your child has medical bills and you haven't slept in a month worrying about how you will get the money to pay for them, or when your mother has to go into a home, and you can't afford the nice place so you have to put her in the crap place; or you have to take a second job to make ends meet later in life.

Make your money while you can, life is short and money makes things easier. It doesn't bring happiness, but it solves a lot of problems.

I've been rich and I've been poor, rich is better.
-Florian

To be honest if I was in their shoes I would do the same. You have a small window in this unforgiving game of mma and you need to make the most of it.
These guys don't get retirement plans or pension or workers compensation. Make that paper if and when u can for the short period of time.

See how you feel about that when your child has medical bills and you haven't slept in a month worrying about how you will get the money to pay for them, or when your mother has to go into a home, and you can't afford the nice place so you have to put her in the crap place; or you have to take a second job to make ends meet later in life.

Now that I understand the UFC champs are insolvent, I view their demands for bizarre matches much more favourably. I reckon McGregor lost his non-title fight because he had been up for a month worrying about his bills.

Now that I understand the UFC champs are insolvent, I view their demands for bizarre matches much more favourably. I reckon McGregor lost his non-title fight because he had been up for a month worrying about his bills.
When you get a chance to make some easy money, I'm sure you will take it, but when a UFC champ gets a chance to make some easy money, you have a problem with that.
Hypocritical.

The notion of world class fighter X ducking world class fighter Y is retarded.

At that level all the guys are BMF's and I doubt any of them are scared of each other.

TBH if I was Woodley I'd do the exact same thing, Wonderboy basically said Tyron wouldn't win and he wanted to fight Lawler, I'd be like "fuck you too bro, wish granted now you get to fight Lawler".

I don't get why people are so butt hurt by this, and why they act like Wonderboy beating Woodley would be such a foregone conclusion.

How people dickride the guy so hard is beyond me, especially considering that last turd of a fight.

When you get a chance to make some easy money, I'm sure you will take it, but when a UFC champ gets a chance to make some easy money, you have a problem with that.
Hypocritical.

You don't know me from Adam, so I don't know on what basis you're saying that. As it happens, I've shied away from professional opportunities I could have enjoyed to the detriment of my craft. I'm not an athlete and the most successful people in my field earn much less than a successful athlete, but still, these kind of compromises are possible in so many walks of life.

Calling out people who are big stars doesn't make you intelligent.... it makes the UFC unintelligent for enabling new champions with limited drawing power to avoid the kind of fights that would possibly make themselves stars in their own right.

well maybe not fear but its definitely cowardice. Those people are choosing to fight easier competition. You can dress it up however you want but they're turning down the top fighters in their divisions for older fighters who really are at the end of their careers.

That being said, I am ALL IN on Bisping vs. Hendo! I don't think that one is AS bad because there isn't as clear a number one contender as there is at WW.

Back