Instructors with great credentials that aren't great teachers

powerbull

White Belt
Reaction score
Anyone have a BJJ (or other kind) of instructor that has great credentials i.e. black belt, past top competitor, but doesn't teach well?
I have a professor that is top notch in knowledge and credentials. He is very good at BJJ, but does not teach well in my opinion. He shows some techniques and then has everyone roll. He never gives feedback or shows the key basics. When a good blue or purple belt is training with me I learn more, see where my mistakes are made, and get key basics that would have been nice from the start.

If you feel that way, you should ask questions to get details of what your suppose to be doing.

If you feel that way, you should ask questions to get details of what your suppose to be doing.

agreed, and if you feel too uncomfortable asking questions, you either need to get over your shyness (so to speak), and if thats not the problem, you're at the wrong gym.

Lots of great competitors are horrible coaches.

I might be considered annoying to others people in my class...I dont know, but I ask Joey if I have any questions as he teaches. I dont interupt him of course but Im not shy to ask him "what if" or "could you" or whatever....

Speak up!

The answer is yes. But I won't name names.

I might be considered annoying to others people in my class...I dont know, but I ask Joey if I have any questions as he teaches. I dont interupt him of course but Im not shy to ask him "what if" or "could you" or whatever....

Speak up!

Joey hates you. :icon_twis

Miyagi say, no such thing bad student, only bad teachah...teachah say, student do.

i haven't come accross many poor instructors myself, at least not in bjj

The best competitors are usually not the best coaches.

Scotty Bowman
Red Auerbach
Vince Lombardi
Tommy Lasorda

Michael and Magic don't coach. I doubt Tiger Woods would have patience with a noob golfer.

We all learned from the blues and purples.

bump
I thought this might be a common thing. There are not alot of options in my area so it sucks to take what you can get.

Any of the competitors esp. at an international level are not good teachers mostly because they either don't speak english or do not know how to develop a class correctly.

The best competitors are usually not the best coaches.

Scotty Bowman
Red Auerbach
Vince Lombardi
Tommy Lasorda

Michael and Magic don't coach. I doubt Tiger Woods would have patience with a noob golfer.

We all learned from the blues and purples.

That is very true we usually do not learn all of the information from the very top person around us. It is usually to a large degree the people directly above us. One of my friends in the medical school and he says that the teachers of his class are the medical students with one more year of experience. The real doctors are to far removed to understand and have the patience for what they are going through. It is the same way a lot times in martial arts.

It is a rare person who is a phenomenal athlete and phenomenal coach. Most of the guys that are great athletes pick up stuff relatively easy that is part of how they end up better than other people. The best coaches tend to be the guys that are pretty good but not as naturally gifted because they have to understand the tehcniques at a level that talented guys don't. But man, those guys that have both are pretty impressive.

One thing that most instructors do, or don't do for that matter, and it pisses me off, is that they don't point out what you were doing wrong. Most of them just keep showing the example over and over. In your head you'll be thinking "But that's how i thought i did it", and they won't tell you exactly what you did. They'll just keep doing example A over and over again.

I guess that is one advantage to going to a smaller school. My instructor will show the technique until everyone has the basic idea down. Then he walks around and spends time with everyone giving some solid feed back as far as what you are doing right/wrong.

Back