1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Instructor advising a team mate not to enter comp yet

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Kevza, Jan 12, 2015.

1. tenktriangles Blue Belt

Agreed, there are plenty of legit reasons to tell a student not to compete. If mine told me not to, I'd listen, because I trust him and we have a good relationship. If this guy likes and trusts the instructor, he should listen. If this guy doesn't trust the instructor or has no relationship, that's a bigger problem than whether or not to compete. Sounds like it might be the case, or maybe that's the case for TS

2. TheHereticJay I scoff at your belt rankings

Only time I was told no was after 2 months of training...went and got my ass beat. Came back, told one that I got flying armbarred, and asked how to defend this... he said "Don't suck at grappling when you compete." some of the best advice to date xD

3. lts5025 "What the **** is a Dim Mack?"

your instructor sounds like a complete asshole.

4. JenStark Blue Belt

Maybe we had the same instructor haha.

I wanted to go to a tournament in another city, but my coach at the time would only go to tournaments with a full team and he had no intention to travel this time, so he did not give his permission to go. I told him to suck it, and I also convinced an 18 year old kid that he had been taking under his wing to go with me, cause I didn't want to go alone. He got really pissed at both of us, especially at me.

We went there and both won our divisions, I won 3 matches and the kid won 4 (in his first tournament). When we came back, lots of pictures with the coach and the medals and lots of "I believe in you from the beggining" speeches and "our school has the best jiu jitsu in the country" brainwashing.

Also, my first competition was exactly 16 days and about 5-6 training sessions after I signed up for BJJ. I was going to post the video but the uploader from 4 years ago made it private. I need to try to get my hands on it xD

EDIT: there! It's so embarrasing I can't bear to watch it even if I'm the one who wins.
    [YT]?v=4FfFfohZFog&feature=youtu.be[/YT]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  5. Einarr Banned Banned

Twice a week means he won't be competitive, which means he'll mke the instructor look bad when he gets steamrolled by a dude who has been training 6 times a week for 6 months.

6. Unr8dBJJ Yellow Belt

The only time I've seen an instructor advise against competing was based strictly on his pride and ego. I had a buddy who had maybe 3 months of training, consistent, lots of rolling in class, I thought for sure we'd have multiple guys representing our school. Turns out only a few of us got the "blessing" to compete. But that was because the academy that had put it on had a reputation of playing favorites during tournaments and our instructor didn't want the school name embarrassed by losing to these guys.

I understand telling a guy if you 100% believe that him competing would result in heartbreaking failure, but let the guy find out on his own, that's what develops your game and builds your character, dealing with the losses.

But if it's because you're afraid of how his matches and skill level will reflect on your gym, because you'll be embarrassed in front of other schools, you need to either support your students or train them better.

7. tenktriangles Blue Belt

i've steered new guys away from competing for one reason in general - guys with great fitness and strength sometimes just smash their way thru a division, no technique. usually only at white belt. i see guys that are in love with their abilities that are really just their physical attributes. but that experience of winning can really twist those guys into thinking that's how jiujitsu works. and then they keep training that way. imho, one of the hardest things to learn is how not to rely on strength and power.

yes, they may eventually learn this lesson at blue or purple, but now you have a guy thats been training the wrong way for several years.

8. Balto Silver Belt

It is interesting to note that although the majority of guys in BJJ seem to have tried competition, the majority definitely do not stick with it.

It appears that most people are having bad experiences (or at least not ones good enough to keep going long term).

As a brown belt, there is hardly anyone left to compete against. I see brown belts everywhere I go, but only a small percentage are ever at any competitions.

9. Title Fight Productions Steel Belt

Great post. I always wonder about these types of posts. I mean why don't people just trust that there much more experienced instructor might just know what he's doing and has your best interest in mind!?!?

Also I think sometimes I comes down to the students lack of effort. Just coming to class does not directly reflect on what you get out of the class. Maybe this instructor isn't willing or ready to put his name on this student yet. This student will be representing the instructor and his gym. Not sure how many instructors want an out of shape guy who doesn't train serious "give it a try" with there Dojo's name plastered all over there Gi.

10. Kevza Blue Belt

Maybe this. Tbh the guy isn't the quickest learner. Lots of people saying he should be good after 18months training, but that's just a general statement. Hes come into BJJ having done no martial arts his whole life I believe, in his 30s, has kids and works. I personally think he should still go for it but like I said, hes been advised to skip this one and that's all I know. He wants to go for it regardless but out of respect and friendship maybe with instructor, it sounds like its put him off.
    Nice to see some instructors putting in opinions here too. Makes some sense as to why people would advise a student against it .

11. Kevza Blue Belt

Yeh this maybe makes sense. We don't have many competing students and its a small academy. I also recall when I first joined there was a guy being told not to compete as the instructor felt he wasn't ready for it and hadn't been training enough. Could genuinely just be that.

12. QuicksandBJJ White Belt

I don't see a problem with the coach advising him not to compete. We don't know what his goals are..is he competing because he wants to be a champion? (side note: if you are competing for any other reason..why compete? If you want to test yourself against different people from other schools..go to an open mat..they are typically free) He trains 2x a week..which is not enough to prepare for a competition..and on those 2 days..is he training hard? Does he experience that competition pace?

I mean..the guy is 30..he's his own man and can make his own decisions, but it would be very unethical on his coach's part to encourage someone to compete if the coach believes the person would be setting themselves up for failure..that would be like my coach telling me to go to the worlds after getting bounced out of 3 chicago opens in the 1st round..

13. Qtip inspector Blue Belt

My instructor flat out says that if your not training 3-4 x a week you can't compete

14. Kevza Blue Belt

Fair points guys. I pretty much agree. Just thought it was the standard for everyone to tell people theyre a pussy if they don't compete nowadays, and this was something different.

15. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

This.

When we do camp, we're expected to do at least 4-5 days and s&c on our own time. Failure to do so would end up being cut

16. yetanother Black Belt

if you don't do s&c on your own you will get cut?