Instructional on the Baseball Choke

Gerbiljiujitsu

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
A good submission from the side control or knee on belly position. Important points that I think you need to focus on are 1. leading with the oppiste knee first 2. make sure to lift up on the head with the thumb that's in the collar and 3. make sure to drive your elbow into the chest before kicking your feet back.

Last edited:
There's a space in your code gerbil, might be why it's not showing up.

A good submission from the side control or knee on belly position. Important points that I think you need to focus on are 1. leading with the oppiste knee first 2. make sure to lift up on the head with the thumb that's in the collar and 3. make sure to drive your elbow into the chest before kicking your feet back.

Fixed.

I'm definitely going to try this out. I've been getting to knee on belly quite a bit lately so this will go nicely.

Thanks for the video.

We were just talking about this choke in class today. Getting the far collar grip against anyone with experience is hard because they know what's coming. My instructor feels that if you really want to get this sub you have play the grip game to make the uki fall behine.

Gonna try this tonight.

We were just talking about this choke in class today. Getting the far collar grip against anyone with experience is hard because they know what's coming. My instructor feels that if you really want to get this sub you have play the grip game to make the uki fall behine.

I totally agree and that is why I focus on two very important things in this video.

1. Leading with the knee closest to the head first not only distracts them from the knee on belly and grip fighting, but it sucks to have a knee driven into the side of your neck and face.

2. When you pull up on that thumb in grip it opens that pocket to get the second hand in.

If you focus on these two things it will really up the percentage finishes against good people. Does that mean it will make it 100%, nah, but it'll help :D

LLLLLLOOOOVE THAT CHOKE!!!

But I don't do it anymore...I jacks up my hand for some reason :(

Ever since I discovered that choke and started using it I had a pain in my palm, basically where the second hand which goes palm in meets uke's neck.. I could hardly shake people's hand anymore. Ever since I stopped using that choke, my hand has been much better... which is awesome since I had been having that pain for about 6 months!

I might be doing something wrong though. Probably not getting the second hand deep enough. I was basically always using the side of my palm instead of the blade of my wrist to choke with.

I need to start looking into that choke again since you give me a lot of good pointers there, like lifting the head to get the second hand in, and dropping down and switching your base before going to N/S. I used to just get the second hand in and quickly spin to N/S. Worked the first few times, but as guys got used to it they started to get their feet in between us and reguard when I spin around.

Thanks for the video! :icon_chee

great set-up... I'll be trying this Saturday morning

I totally agree and that is why I focus on two very important things in this video.

1. Leading with the knee closest to the head first not only distracts them from the knee on belly and grip fighting, but it sucks to have a knee driven into the side of your neck and face.

2. When you pull up on that thumb in grip it opens that pocket to get the second hand in.

If you focus on these two things it will really up the percentage finishes against good people. Does that mean it will make it 100%, nah, but it'll help :D

I do like the video.

I really like this choke, but as a lighter guy I have to tighten up my pressure from knee on belly. Every time I pop up to KOB I always find myself having to fight off a single leg or anticipating it letting them up and spinning to the back. I usually go for the brabo grip, go to KOB attack the choke and if I feel I can't get it spin around to the back.

I really like this choke, but as a lighter guy I have to tighten up my pressure from knee on belly. Every time I pop up to KOB I always find myself having to fight off a single leg or anticipating it letting them up and spinning to the back. I usually go for the brabo grip, go to KOB attack the choke and if I feel I can't get it spin around to the back.

I do the same as you (spinning to the back), but I prefer it over this choke. I'm probably a bit bigger than you (compete at medio and meio-pesado)

Tried it, love it.

The bait-and-switch with the knee setup is great. Really lets you get a good knee on belly.

I found that if my fingers-in second grip wasn't right on top of my original thumb-inside under the collar grip, the choke wasn't half as tight.

But when I had the grips put on properly, it had immediate results. I need to clean up my move off the belly and to north-south though, my legs are sloppy on this choke.

Anyway thanks TS. Good stuff.

My only issue with this is the finish. Sometimes I have a hard time finishing it if they turn toward me. (ex. I've got my right knee on belly, they turn into me to their right as I'm coming around). I don't know where to put my weight (maybe the far side shoulder?) to prevent them from negating the angle.

My only issue with this is the finish. Sometimes I have a hard time finishing it if they turn toward me. (ex. I've got my right knee on belly, they turn into me to their right as I'm coming around). I don't know where to put my weight (maybe the far side shoulder?) to prevent them from negating the angle.

I like to sprawl, put my head down on the hip of the side I came from, straighten my arm which had the thumb in grip and spin my legs away from the direction I came from.

gerbil thanks for posting your videos. this and the pass from open guard were both well done. no fancy bells and whistles but real good instruction and to the point.

thanks!

While I have a lot of success with baseball bat choke from guard (and allowing a pass), I too have some difficulty with finishing it from top. Something I do, which others don't like, is to instead of turning all the way to NS is to baseball slide out and finish from side control. This makes it hard for them to turn into you (they're turning into the choke). If they hip out the opposite direction they have to go belly down so you can take their back.

i love to go to this choke from just about any top postion. i especially like to use the gi skirt to complete the choke (seems easier to me). i especially like going for this from half guard top cuz when folks escape they often leave their necks open for this attack. furthermore the think theyre safe cuz theyre in HG but i use my forearm on their sternum to apply pressure then work my foot out to finish the choke.

Back