Instructional On Another Open Guard Pass

Gerbiljiujitsu

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
An open guard pass that was shown to be by Rommel. This pass focuses on strong base, controlling the space in between your opponents legs and using your opponents lapel to keep his movement minimized.

Make sure to secure a strong grip on your opponents lapel and when you back step, or step backwards, clear your opponents leg. When you change levels make sure to emphasize strong shoulder pressure

let me know what you guys think.

thanks for this. looks like a high percentage pass. i want to give this a shot in my next class.

Hey Gerbil, have only seen a couple of your vids, but you seem like a great instructor.

Easy to understand and good demonstration and angles.

Hope to see more!

Hey Gerbil, have only seen a couple of your vids, but you seem like a great instructor.

Easy to understand and good demonstration and angles.

Hope to see more!

every week :D

my youtube channel has a little over 50 instructionals if you like the couple that I have posted.

Looks good... Do you ever have problems with people attacking your arm that is going under the knee? like pulling the elbow for omaplata's or triangles... Or does the grip on their lapel prevent that?

I agree Gerbil your last couple of vids have been outstanding.

I have a question on this pass. Is there a chance a the bottom guy can get shin on biceps when you put your hand under his thigh? I don't play that type of open guard but I get it done on me so I want to know what to look out for in the way of counters.

Looks good... Do you ever have problems with people attacking your arm that is going under the knee? like pulling the elbow for omaplata's or triangles... Or does the grip on their lapel prevent that?

when you dominate the space between your opponents legs it makes it very difficult for him to get any type of hip movement. Pay close attention to my spacing and where I keep my knees and the angle of my knees.

Also note that my opponent is already controlling that sleeve, he's not gaining any more control over it when I rotate it behind his knee. You are also correct that the grip on the lapel helps eliminate a lot of the problems. You should still try and get your weight moving in the opposite direction to collapse the knee (which is the hardest part)

I agree Gerbil your last couple of vids have been outstanding.

I have a question on this pass. Is there a chance a the bottom guy can get shin on biceps when you put your hand under his thigh? I don't play that type of open guard but I get it done on me so I want to know what to look out for in the way of counters.

It will be very difficult for him get shin on bicep because you are controlling behind the knee. In order for him to get that shin to the bicep you will have to give him space so that he can adjust his hips. Your goal while dominating that space between his legs is to keep both of his feet off the floor (the hand behind the knee will help with that). If he doesnt have a foot on the floor it will be difficult for him to adjust his hips (not impossible, but difficult).

thanks for the response. I'll definitly play around with this.

this is a really good pass!

Do you only do it when he is not insistant about holding your ankle? (which would prevent you from stepping back) Do you have any ways of making this pass work under that situation that work for you?

this is a really good pass!

Do you only do it when he is not insistant about holding your ankle? (which would prevent you from stepping back) Do you have any ways of making this pass work under that situation that work for you?

Honestly when Rommel does this pace he likes to dominate that space between your legs and really put pressure on the outside of your thighs. You may start to hold on to his ankle but you feel kind of helpless when you do. The couple of times that he's been in a position to do this pass I abandon the ankle grip in hopes of making space to get some hip movement going.

When I do this pass however

I find I need to clear that ankle if I want to initiate this pass. I have a couple of ways that I do that in which I feel very comfortable and I just proceed after clear the ankle.

Back