1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Instructional Distribution Methods?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Oliver Geddes, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Oliver Geddes

Oliver Geddes Amateur Fighter

This isn't for anything in particular in the near future, but am faintly curious about the opinions on this.

Basically, there are (as I see it) three ways to distribute commercial instructional material.

Paid digital distribution, physical distribution and donation-based distribution.

On reflection, those names suck. Anyway!

a) Paid digital distribution. Online clips, available for download on a pay and then download basis. This can either be a subscription basis (rare), or more commonly on a pay per clip scale. This can be broken down as much as wanted, either to single 6 minute techniques or 30 minute sections, or whatever. This is simple, allows people freedom to pick what they are interested in, and relatively protected due to DRM stuff (to use a technical term) built in. It's easy to get around with a video capture card (see mginaction clips on youtube, etc.), but in general, you can't just download and pass it off to all your friends.

b) Physical distribution. DVDs, basically. It's nice to have a physical product in your hands, and makes the whole process feel a bit more real than just clips on a website, and also comes across as a little more professional. On the negative side, it will cost a lot more in production, and, frankly, piracy is rife in instructionals. You produce a DVD, someone rips the DVD, it's on the web, it gets downloaded, done. Failing that, someone buys it, rips it, lends it to their friends, who rip it, who pass it off, etc. etc.

c) Donation-based. The product is free, it's easily available, and people can download or watch as much as they want, when they want. If they find it useful, they can donate money to a paypal account or whatever, based upon how much they value the material. Again, most of the time people aren't going to pay for it (why would you, when it's free, and no-one's making you pay?), but at least no-one feels hard done by. You as the producer may not get the full value you might price it at, but at least no-one's getting ripped off or 'stealing'. Unless someone takes it and starts charging for it, but that's kind of unlikely.

What do people see as the best way of the options available?

Would people here support any of the options, if the material was there?

Again, I stress this isn't something that is going to be a massive deal in the near future, but am curious about what people think and which would make people the happiest?

Cheers for checking in!

Take care,

Oli

2. keynote

keynote Purple Belt

I'm a fan of A. and C, but either is fine as long as you're getting fair compensation for your efforts!

3. RibCrusher**

RibCrusher** Orange Belt

actually any flv can be downloaded with free program called moyea youtube downloader

it worked on MG inaction a few months ago. not sure if it still does.

4. codemonkey76

codemonkey76 Black Belt

if you can see it, you can rip it, simple as that. However, if it is short clips that are cheap, then sometimes it's more of a hassle to rip it than to just pay the small fee.

5. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

I don't pay for anything that's not physical. I just don't. The last two options are good. The problem is that B can be costly...

6. Ricardo Suave

Ricardo Suave White Belt

Hi,

I think A is the future. Just look at iTunes and what it's doing to brick-and-mortar music stores. C is okay, but no serious business should depend on donations.

The problem is that A requires a bit of investment or technical skills to pull off. Also, I think to make real money with A, you have to go with subscription fees, and in order to pull that off you have to be either a world-class competitor or a very good marketer.

7. TalkShowOnMute

TalkShowOnMute dancingonthecorpsesashes

Iphone/ Droid Apps!

8. ijustwannasurf

ijustwannasurf Brown Belt

If you have your own academy, posting techniques and other videos only increases your exposure. Even if they're free, they can lead to new students and more traffic on your site, which means increased revenue.

If you don't have a school, a website you constantly update and market is a great idea. How you charge is up to you- donations, per download, merch, etc.

9. codysweet02

codysweet02 Brown Belt

I REALLY like CageFilm.coms way of doing instructionals. They film what is basically a 30-60 minute private lesson with Braulio Estima and charge $9 bucks for a lesson. I like it way more than how normal instructionals are filmed.

However, if you are looking at creating an instructional you really need to look at it from a business perspective. For that, I believe a physical DVD may be best. You can charge a higher price for it, and it is very cheap to produce. Say you sell 100 copies at $30, that is $3,000. If it is a professionally produced instructional and you have a following, you can charge more and sell more.

Also, with so many subscription based sites out there already, I think the market is fairly full. With MG, Draculino, JMM, Tinguinha and possibly/soon Drysdale, I think that is a tough market to crack.

10. sha

sha Geekjitsu Black Belt

I think the subscription based market or paying for clips is the best way. I don't think it's too full, after all each instructor will offer something different. I'm subscribed to MGinaction myself, and I like it because Marcelo shows his game in great detail. On the other hand I don't think I've ever seen him explain the triangle on there, so if Ryan Hall came up with his own site I wouldn't mind subscribing there too.

I was actually researching this subject for a friend who wants to create his own subscription site (Nicolas Renier) and I found that GROU.PS lets you host private clips and even charge a subscription for free.