Instagram wants to sell all your photos, deal with it

Earthbounder

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Imagine a picture of you (or your children or loved ones) popping up in an ad somewhere for... Well, use your imagination.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/12/18/1334204/instagram-wants-to-sell-users-photos-without-notice

"Many Instagram users have reacted angrily to a proposed change to the apps terms of service by owner Facebook, which would give the social network 'perpetual' rights to all photos on Instagram, allowing it to sell the photos to advertisers without notice — or payment to the user. The new policy will come into effect on 16 January, just four months after Facebook completed its $1bn acquisition of Instagram. It states that Facebook has a right to distribute any content posted on Instagram without paying the user royalties:"

I wonder how long before this will happen on Instagram's owner, Facebook, also.

Like I always say.. Social Media is the biggest scam of all time.

Well it's a good thing I don't use it then I suppose.

I only use it to take photos of bugs, so no biggie.

What you didn't think they were going to monetize Instagram after paying $1B for it?

Instagram is free to use right? If so this seems like a fair trade off and I don't understand why so many people are upset. It seems very spoiled to me.

Instagram is for "photographers" and I put that in quotes because well yeah people think of themselves as some Pulitzer prize winning photographer when using that program. Filters does not make someone a damn photographer. Then again a photographer doesn't use a phone to take photographs

With 100 millions photos of plates of food I hope mine gets picked!

FB already made it clear in the usage terms that they can use/sell/jerk-off to your pictures...

I highly doubt any of my photos will ever get used but Facebook was only going to ruin instagram. Ads are coming soon as well and the shit they just pulled now where instagram photos on twitter don't show up in the feed has really pissed me off but hey, how else are guys on wall street gonna make money off us?

Instagram is free to use right? If so this seems like a fair trade off and I don't understand why so many people are upset. It seems very spoiled to me.

Well a lot of people don't expect for their photos to be sold to advertisers. What happens if you find out that some company or cause you are really against is using you or a photo of a loved one to advertise with.

What if the Westboro baptist church decided to put out an ad and used your face in it?

I agree that if it's a free service then that is a trade off that can be made. But they need to be upfront with people and let them know, and not hide it in a bunch of terms to approve of. They know what they are doing, they know not everyone reads that. They should, but lets be serious, they don't. So fair trade off? Sure, but be upfront about it, let people know that that IS the trade off.

My photos are awesome. They'll probably take mine.

Back