Inspiring/Wise things your instructor has told you.

Fear does not exist in the dojo.
Pain does not exist in the dojo.
Defeat does not exist in the dojo.

We do not train to be merciful here. Mercy is for the weak. Here, in the streets, in competition: A man confronts you, he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy.

Who is your coach? He is obviously wasting his comedic talents in grappling.

Good man he was. I was a little thick skulled in the early days. I could be told not to do something, but pretty much had to suffer for it a few times before it really clicked.

"I set the mower really low so you can scalp the grass.. That way it won't be as hard next week."

Talking about Judo foot sweeps:

"Start training your Ashi Waza intensely now so that it will be useful in 5 years."

Fear does not exist in the dojo.
Pain does not exist in the dojo.
Defeat does not exist in the dojo.

We do not train to be merciful here. Mercy is for the weak. Here, in the streets, in competition: A man confronts you, he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy.

Dude you know sometime in the future a little black boy is going to stop into your gym with an elderly Asian man, and the Asian guy is going to be "this is not real jiujitsu" and train the boy in the art, and later on he's going to comeback and whoop ya'll ass's in a tournament.

Talking about Judo foot sweeps:

"Start training your Ashi Waza intensely now so that it will be useful in 5 years."

This made me laugh so hard.

My instructor told me two things that have stuck with me, one being funny, the other totally serious.

The serious one: "Jiu Jitsu is just a beautiful art. It doesn't confine itself to any one style. If you like going for the pretty Judo throws, go ahead. If you can pull off the flashy sweeps an submissions from the bottom, go ahead. If you want to wrestle-smother your opponent to death, also go ahead. There's an infinite amount of ways to go about it so long as you get your hand raised in the hand."

The funny one: "I'm not stupid. If I'm going to spar with Philippe (judo BB) chances are I'm going to be practicing my breakfalls a little more often than he will."

"you have the ability to win your division every time you compete, but you're not in your division"

Basically my instructor letting me know that I was fat.

"you have the ability to win your division every time you compete, but you're not in your division"

Basically my instructor letting me know that I was fat.

If I only counted how many times I was told this throughout HS

Caio Terra, "YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!!!"

"That does not exist in jiu jitsu!"

To my white belt friend..."In 2015 you will get a new belt. I will give you a fresh white one."

Excusing me from the Uke. "You even fail at being the dummy."

"If you want an easy match, roll with Bill."

The sad thing is, is that I have to pay for this abuse!!!

I've gotten much better with these teaching techniques...:icon_neut

Best advice I get when I'm rolling: Stop thinking!!! MOVE!!!!

Too bad I hardly ever take it.

Back