Inspiring/Wise things your instructor has told you.

Let's have some fun, this beat is sick.
I wanna take a ride on your disco stick

A blackbelt is just a whitebelt who never stopped training.

My instructor asked me if I was entering the next competition. I told him that I have to go away for work so I'm not going to be able to. His reply was:

"Listen, there are 2 things in life you have to do, that is to die and be white."

Never to limit myself to one style.

...oh wait, that was what Shidoshi Tanaka told Frank Dux in Bloodsport.

My first BJJ instructor.

"The life of a true martial artist is hard because the priorities are very clear. Find a place to sleep, find a way to eat, find a place to train, in that order. Nothing else is a priority. That's something normal people don't understand."

Same instructor. Giving us all a pep talk before a gi bjj competition.

"You (me) are gonna beat this dudes ass because you train with a good team. And if you can't beat this dude than (other teammate) is gonna beat him. and if he can't beat him than (huge purple belt teammate) is gonna beat him. And if he can't beat him, than I'll beat him. And if for some reason I can't beat him, than we'll fuck them up in the parking lot. One way or another we're gonna win."

It sounds dickish on paper, but in the gym it was like a speech from Braveheart.

Practice makes habits. Very true, you never get perfect, you just get used to doing something, and if you do it wrong, you have some bad habits.

"BJJ is a space relationship....you are either creating space or taking it away." - A purple belt told me that when I first started

"BJJ is a space relationship....you are either creating space or taking it away." - A purple belt told me that when I first started

If things that graduates say count, I can write a book called "how to lose all of your friends" by a brown belt that took a liking for me as I started, and taught me all about:

-Standing chokes and the right approach to standup fighting. "Never try for the takedown, and never pull guard"
-Guillotines
-Crossfaces
-Neck cranks
-Sneak attacks to the temple
-The "thumb to throat whilst hidden by gi lapels" choke
-Forearms everywhere
-How to apply a rear naked choke -- "Just crank that on the nose, on the mouth, he'll give you the neck quickly or just tap out"
-How to talk to women. "You should go to one of them, say 'hey, how are you, do you like jiu jitsu'?"

"you can't match strength with a bear!" when I was trying to outmuscle a 260lb guy (I was 175)

and

"chicks dig slams"

"I got tapped almost every day or My first two years... and then everyone else just quit."

Background: I'm really sensitive to people talking shit about me when I haven't really done anything that would warrant it, so my coach said:

"No one can kick you in the ass unless they're already behind you."

"It's like I've always said, those who stay will be champions. It's easy to quit, just like in life."

I was in class with a friend talking about how hard a test we had was.

Instructor comes from behind, "I better plan my retirement better."

After shooting too many sloppy single legs in my WB days:

Coach: "Tom, I think its time you learned about this wonderful thing called Uchimata"
Me: "How and why is that coach?"
C: "You'll see next time you shoot that crap single in randori"

Much flying and pain to follow......

Who is your coach? He is obviously wasting his comedic talents in grappling.

Back