Inspiring/Wise things your instructor has told you.

Chris Beeby

Brown Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Recently, my instructor has shown his philosophy quite a bit in conversation. Maybe his English is better, he is trying to get through to me, or he just feels chatty, but I respect deeply what he says because of his experience.

He has an MMA record of 17-7-2 (13 submissions), a 1st degree black belt under Eugenio Tadeu, trains 11 professional fighters and 1 (now 2, as of October 16th) amateur and has over 380 grappling fights, winning over 350 of them.

This is all verbatim from his broken English.

On some teammates (1 pro and 1 amateur fighter) spreading themselves too thin in their training (specifically going to less elite gyms to train other aspects such as pure boxing, training with college wrestling teams, taking conditioning classes based around boxing and sparring with amateur fighters at other gyms): "They think they're going to be super fighters, winning in every aspect, but if they can't guarantee winning in one area, they will never win. You have to be a master at one art and then begin working on your missing areas. Look at most of the champions. They train in everything now but each one is an expert at one art."

Talking to me about my first 2 amateur fights, scheduled October 16 and November 11: "I am looking for cards for you to fight on because I appreciate the work you have been doing. You dedicated yourself to Luta Livre and worked on it and took things slow, making sure you get better. If you take your time, the good feeling lasts longer. Other guys have been forcing everything, rushing into fights, and they won't last as long."

So, what are some profound/wise/inspiring things your coaches have said to you?

dont be a crocodile.... in the nile
aka dont be in denial haha

"There's no such thing as rape, it's just surprise sex"

a bit over a year ago when I was a white belt near being promoted to blue.
I had just lost at a tournament at white belt winning my first match (with much difficulty) then got submitted with a triangle my next match. we talked after and he mentioned he wanted to promote me to blue. I voiced my concern about how could I possibly be ready for the next belt much less compete at blue after never finding much success at white belt tournaments. He then told me

"competing, winning, and getting comfortable is just a gradual process where you get better and learn more and more along the way. What you might not do good now, next time it may be done excellent."

I got my blue the next month and at the beginning of this year, competed at blue for the first time. I competed about 10 tournaments so far and have placed 1st at nearly every tournament and if not first, still medaled.

"There isn't one judo. There are many judos. You have to find out which one works for you".

My first BJJ instructor.

"The life of a true martial artist is hard because the priorities are very clear. Find a place to sleep, find a way to eat, find a place to train, in that order. Nothing else is a priority. That's something normal people don't understand."

I was an adult when I started BJJ, yet I remember the first things said to me in training better than I remember the multiplication tables, even after discovering that sometimes upperbelts have bullshit advice. I think experienced guys have to be very very careful when talking to noobs because dumbshit you might say may stick around for a long long time in their heads.

one in the bed is better than ten on the phone

"Hang on you're doing it wrong."

I was and I still do.

"just play with these dolls and it will be over soon, but don't tell anyone anything about this yea hear me boi? I swear I'll cut your gizzards off with my right hand, now wheres that damn vaseline run off to"

" Hey adam , no aram ..? what was your name again?.. ahh .. yes, have you already paid for this month?"

"The knee is the elbow of the lower body."

"You don't have to, but it's not an option."

"When the guy gets tired, just play kick the dead body."

"Have fun. If you're not having fun doing this, it's time to reevaluate your game and your commitments to BJJ".

This was after he told me he prefers to play guard because it's more fun, despite him being a big guy with a monster top game.

The most memorable things they have told.

Purple belt instructor:

"I like Bleach, but it really has a lot of what people call 'filler' episodes"

"The best way to stress test a computer is to run Unreal Tournament on it for a couple of hours"

Black belt teacher.

"I don't think Fedor takes that one. Werdum is the world champion in jiu jitsu, he's going to submit him"

"One day, you and your brother will be able to play the satanic devil rock music you like here at the gym, the one about shaking your head"

Back