Insomnia and energy managment

I'm currently averaging about 3 hours a night due to work stress/anxiety issues. I work 6am - 2pm. I probably fall asleep around 11pm but without fail I wake up about 2am and cannot get back to sleep.

I'm really struggling tbh. Any tips would be great
Go and talk with a counselor to help combat your issues. Anxiety is usually there as a reminder for me to take care of things I've put off. I don't usually get stressed much, but I certainly have in the past.

Both can be caused by things you aren't even aware of (the case in a lot of scenarios), which is where a counselor can come in help. Think of them like detectives, that investigate the causes of your woes with you.

I can't recommend it enough, especially for someone not sleeping like you.

Go and talk with a counselor to help combat your issues. Anxiety is usually there as a reminder for me to take care of things I've put off. I don't usually get stressed much, but I certainly have in the past.

Both can be caused by things you aren't even aware of (the case in a lot of scenarios), which is where a counselor can come in help. Think of them like detectives, that investigate the causes of your woes with you.

I can't recommend it enough, especially for someone not sleeping like you.

I think this is the way I am leaning. I am 26 years old and I've kinda had these issues since high school (age 14/15), although not as severe as recently.
It has a lot to do with my job. I'm about 15 months into working as a mining engineer, a job that made everyone in my life proud of me when I got it... and I'd love to make people proud of me, but the soul searching I do at night has led me to knowing this job isn't for me and I couldn't imagine another 40 years of it. I'm basically tied down for another 30 months minimum due to training courses they've paid for, if I left now then I'd be wasting my own time.

I'm basically just running myself into the ground and I know it.

I think this is the way I am leaning. I am 26 years old and I've kinda had these issues since high school (age 14/15), although not as severe as recently.
It has a lot to do with my job. I'm about 15 months into working as a mining engineer, a job that made everyone in my life proud of me when I got it... and I'd love to make people proud of me, but the soul searching I do at night has led me to knowing this job isn't for me and I couldn't imagine another 40 years of it. I'm basically tied down for another 30 months minimum due to training courses they've paid for, if I left now then I'd be wasting my own time.

I'm basically just running myself into the ground and I know it.
Armchairing things, it sounds like you're in the wrong field. You can always be proactive and start planning a way out of things, I'm sure that would help a little.

If you've had issues before this job, I'm sure it runs deeper, and the stress from current things is exacerbating whatever bothered you initially. Def go see a pro! Hope you find the help you need bro!

Armchairing things, it sounds like you're in the wrong field. You can always be proactive and start planning a way out of things, I'm sure that would help a little.

If you've had issues before this job, I'm sure it runs deeper, and the stress from current things is exacerbating whatever bothered you initially. Def go see a pro! Hope you find the help you need bro!

Thanks for the replies buddy.

You are correct in that it runs a little deeper than work. My job isn't to blame at all, it's me really. That's why I haven't quit as I need to at least use it as a means to an end... but the sleep thing is really really pissing me off lately

Yea I know what you mean, you go to bed at night to sleep and can't fall asleep then when it's time to get out of bed in the morning you want to stay in bed and could easily fall back asleep. It's frustrating. I think we are designed to go to sleep when we're tired and wake up when we are no longer tired (not when the alarm goes off) unfortunately most peoples work schedule does not allow that.

I've been taking two tylenol before bed every night since last week or so. that's been helping me sleep a lot better at night because I don't feel as much discomfort.

i've had more difficulty falling asleep than most throughout my life. In adulthood, I once read that the average person takes 7 minutes to fall asleep and it floored me.

For about a month now, I hit the bed slightly earlier (11:30pm vs 12:45am), and in the hour leading to 11:30pm I would turn out the lights in my room where I sleep. I FEEL like it's helping me fall asleep faster.

Melatonin helps

training at night interferes with my sleep too honestly, plus I usually take a little caffeine in the evening before class which I’m sure is the culprit

then no sleep, more caffeine to stay awake, which interferes with sleep, etc ... vicious cycle

YOu probably have AIDS and have two weeks to live. Or that's what every Sherdogger tells me when I bring a problem to this board.
Thanks. This thread only lacks the DMT response to be full Sherdog. I'm kind of dissapointed.

Insufficent sleep makes you a danger to yourself and to society.

First, make your sleep area cold. A fan pointed at head, cool breeze from window. Second, set the TV timer to turn off after like 90 minutes. Third, don't think about anything and just lie absolutely still and slow your breathing. You have to be comfortable.
Thanks bro. About the TV (it's the PC for me) I'm doing it today. Regarding the temperature, I had to sleep with the A/C for almost everyday in the las 2 weeks because is like 27/28°C outside during the night (80/82° in F). I think that has a lot to do. Today is a little colder (26°C / 78° F) and windy so I will sleep with the window open.

Thanks for the replies buddy.

You are correct in that it runs a little deeper than work. My job isn't to blame at all, it's me really. That's why I haven't quit as I need to at least use it as a means to an end... but the sleep thing is really really pissing me off lately
100% agree with @GtehMVP when he posted that you need to plan your way out. One thing that helped me a year ago was starting to learn another language (french) while planning to move there. I was exhausted but I felt like I was going somewhere despite having a boring job here.
What do you really like? Soul searching can be soul breaking.

i've had more difficulty falling asleep than most throughout my life. In adulthood, I once read that the average person takes 7 minutes to fall asleep and it floored me.

For about a month now, I hit the bed slightly earlier (11:30pm vs 12:45am), and in the hour leading to 11:30pm I would turn out the lights in my room where I sleep. I FEEL like it's helping me fall asleep faster.
Thanks. Turning off the lights right now.
7 minutes is true. My ex GF and the girl I date nowadays always fell asleep as soon as they touch the bed. I'm lying there like "what the hell?". Good for them I guess.

Yea I know what you mean, you go to bed at night to sleep and can't fall asleep then when it's time to get out of bed in the morning you want to stay in bed and could easily fall back asleep. It's frustrating. I think we are designed to go to sleep when we're tired and wake up when we are no longer tired (not when the alarm goes off) unfortunately most peoples work schedule does not allow that.
Never thought that way but it makes sense. I feel exactly the same way about food.

Some really good responses ITT. I will do an update next week to report advances.

Thanks bros.

Go to support groups and if that doesn't work you gotta join an underground fight org

Try winding down - shut off tv, computer, phone - a few hours earlier.

Also, I'm up to midnight most night - just cannot sleep and up at 5:45am regardless. Somedays are fucking brutal - coffee, lunch time naps, and an early workout, cut out caffeine after 2pm.

Update

Didnt wake up to the alarm,currently running late to work plus my neck is bleeding from shaving

Biggest key is waking up and going to bed at the same time every day regardless if it's a working week or weekend, could also try melatonin, cbd or thc. I occasionally jump start it with diazepam if I'm desperate.

Back