Injuries, recovery and when do you go back to class ?

I popped my rib once. It would move in and out everytime I moved and hurt like I got lexington steeled. Sneezing hurt, laughing hurt, moving hurt. You have to wait till it settles and doesnt move anymore. I have a small bump on the rib now.

Sorry , I didnt pick up on that in the flurry of my typing.

The injury is diagnosed as strained intercostal. Hurts like heck to sneeze , you can feel it when breathing in and llying down and getting up are all things that aggravate it. It goes right around to the front of the chest. I intially thort I'd made a slight tear in something or cracked a rib but I'm glad to say I have no cracked ribs.

I guess I'll have to be patient and wait it out

Didn't read much further than this so I apologize if it's already been mentioned.

I've had this injury twice in the last 9 months, once on each side of my body. First time I did it was fairly minor, took about a week off completely to let my whole body recover (I'd been training really hard at that point anyways), then eased back in with drills and technique for 2 weeks, finally back to light rolling approx. 3 weeks after the injury.

The second time I did it was nasty. I felt the ligament pop. At first I thought I broke my ribs. That one took a solid 2 1/2-3 weeks before I could make it through basic drills without almost crying and 6 or so weeks before all the pain was gone.

I have a tendency to "play through the pain" and in my mind see a stupid difference between being hurt and being injured. I saw this as hurt--an inconvenience and painful, but no real lasting damage. My recommendation---don't be like me. You can ask the limited range of motion in my shoulder and a knee that sounds like a shotgun when I crouch why.

Take a few weeks off then ease back in. Mine was bad and it was only about 6 weeks. Take the time to study up on your BJJ theory and let your whole body heal.

Back