Injuries, recovery and when do you go back to class ?

Kalma

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I was wondering what view point do people take when it comes to injuries and going to back to class. I know we all recover differently and what's good for one will not suit all.

I have experienced injuries that I can train through and had those that have incapacitated me for months.

My current experience is frustrating , the Dr has given me the 'go back when you are ready.' Which is cool cause only I know how I'm feeling.

However I was told if I'm not feeling better in a month come back. In saying that though I have read up on my current injury and been told I should really wait for 10 weeks to allow recovery.

My recovery feels as if it has plateaued and still ranges from uncomfortable to painful depending on what I'm doing. I cant help but wonder if this is good as it gets though.

I'm busting to go back to class but so scared of going back too soon and ending up injured for a loooonger time.

When returning after injury do you wait for it to pass 100% or would you consider a return to class at the 80% recovery mark ?

A trip back to the Dr usually means saving for a month or two cause I'm on a tight as budget. I have started saving so by the time I have enough it would've been 10 weeks .

I know some people will grill me but if someone had some serious knowledge or recommendations re going back while still partially injured and what intensity to train at it would be appreciated.

it really depends on the injury,its kind of weird that you didn't mention it.I've trained through wrist/elbow/hand injuries no problem and they healed up fine,but in my experience knee/back/shoulder injuries have to be given some time out to properly heal,but this is just in my experience and some of the guys that I've trained with.I've won medals injured before,but I've also had injuries that put me on the sidelines for months.you kind of just know when you can't train through it,I don't go to the doc unless I have a severe injury,so if you're anything like me(sounds like you are cheapskate lol)then you should respect your injury and give it the time it needs

I agree with the first response... kind of odd that you didn't mention the injury, because it really depends what it is.

Sorry , I didnt pick up on that in the flurry of my typing.

The injury is diagnosed as strained intercostal. Hurts like heck to sneeze , you can feel it when breathing in and llying down and getting up are all things that aggravate it. It goes right around to the front of the chest. I intially thort I'd made a slight tear in something or cracked a rib but I'm glad to say I have no cracked ribs.

I guess I'll have to be patient and wait it out

Most injuries I just train through. I have had some decent knee sprains that have keep me out of class, but never for more than a couple of days. Typically as soon as I can walk I am back to training. I don't go 100% and I stay away from positions that might stress the injury.

What you should do: Wait until you no longer feel the effects of the injury and then wait a week.

What I do: Reduce the recommended time off by half and then go early even for that calculation. Roll for months at less than 100%, because I'm nursing an injury that just won't go away. Remain happy, because at least I'm getting to roll.

What you should do: Wait until you no longer feel the effects of the injury and then wait a week.

What I do: Reduce the recommended time off by half and then go early even for that calculation. Roll for months at less than 100%, because I'm nursing an injury that just won't go away. Remain happy, because at least I'm getting to roll.

Well said.

I'm actually dealing with an injury that sounds like what TS has. Some weird bruised rib, or pulled muscle near my ribs. Totally sucks, but I have a week of vacation coming up with no training so I'm gonna train another week and then I'll have a week off to hopefully heal up.

Good luck TS.

I can see an intercostal being uncomfortable for a long time, especially with the heavy breathing you get to do from cardio and such. Take it easy. Do what you can. I've had a PCL sprain and did what I could, which was pretty much just technique and took it easy with cardio and rolling (only rolled with color belts, 75% speed at most, guys that didn't weight a ton, etc) till I got better. Just listen to your body.

I have recently developed Hip Bursitis due to Snapping Hip Syndrome. Doc told me 6-8 weeks but I only took off two before I went back.
My hip still isn't in great shape but I just don't know if I could take that long off without the fear of dropping out. I'm afraid of making an excuse for myself to stay out after being out that long.
I am however cutting back on my frequency of training.
1-2 times a week till I feel I am ready to increase that.
Basically, you have to listen to your body, but know which pain is bad and which pain is just annoying.

I am coming off a very painful rib injury. I decided that I would take a few weeks off with absolutely no grappling and continue to wait until I felt that I would be in good enough shape not to completely reinjure it.

Last night was my 1st class back. I teamed up with a partner that was willing to work very light and slow at first. I made sure they understood that I may ahve to stop and quit for the day. I took my time rolling to ensure I was OK. Luckily it felt good and I was able to increase the intensity a bit. My partner was very cool about making sure we were still good.

Anyway, taking time off from grappling sucks because you always feel like stopping for any amount of time will completely ruin your game. BUt seriously injuring yourself is going to hurt your game a lot more.

Take it easy coming back, and don't let anyone pressure you into rolling before you're ready; ie, calling you a pussy, whatever. Tell 'em to suck it and beat their ass when you're in better health.

I've had two nasty herniated disc episodes, those each required about 3 months until I felt like I could roll, and then another 2ish until I felt normal while rolling.

My most recent disc episode required surgery, so the jury is out on recovery time.

Most of the time, I'm pretty smart about my body. If it hurts I stop or go really light (not just in BJJ, but I also lift and if my shoulder flares up, I back off).

I can imagine the TS's injury is going to nag for a long time. I'd take my time, an extra week of recovery means nothing when you realize you can probably train until you die.

Some good post here. I'll add my .02

My wife jokes that I'm Tim "the Toolman" Taylor with my propensity to hurt myself.....
I'l just highlight a couple of injuries.
1) broken ribs from wrecking a motorcycle during a race. Doc said to take off 4 months. After 2 1/2 months I felt better so I went back to class. Reinjured the ribs 10 seconds into my first roll (while in top control) & had to take off ANOTHER 4 months waiting for them to heal.
Should have heeded the Docs advice.

2) broken bones in both feet (6), ankle (3), hand (2), ribs (3), kneecap, tibia & numerous sprains / strains from hitting a deer on my motorcycle while on the way home from BJJ class. Doc told me to take a year off & then we'd talk about the possibility of returning....... I went back to class 4 months later.
Docs don't always know best.
I trained technique only for the 1st couple of months back & then started light rolling with higher belts (better control). I didn't start rolling hard until about 7 months after the wreck (everyone in the school was aware of my injuries & very careful).
I'm coming up on the 1 year anniversary of the wreck at the end of this month & everything feels fine. Guess I should go back to the Doc & laugh at her.

Oh yeah, I changed Docs because I didn't care for the 1st ones negativity. She was anti BJJ, anti motorcycles & kept inferring that at my age (50) I should be slowing down because "you're not a kid any more & your body won't be able to deal with those things". My new Doc thinks that BJJ is a great way to rehab my injuries since it combines flexibility, cardio & strength all in one workout (I tried to get him to write it up as a prescription for physical therapy to see if the insurance company would pay for it :D). He's ok with my motorcycle racing too but suggests that I quit wrecking.

kind of up to u.

dont push it to where it can get re injured while its healing but you can find other things to work on.

I'm sort of frustrated as well:

rolled on my neck wrong 3 weeks ago.

(was put in an armbar, and I rolled on the bridge of my neck into the armbar . . which I've done dozens of times)

and my entire neck down through my traps, and across my color bone, to the top of my pecs were TRASHED for a few days

and I'm still experiencing terrible neck and shoulder pain. can't afford a chriropractors visit, but I just feel like I need to be adjusted.

almost 3 weeks and counting . . . and I don't feel as though it'd be wise to train

Sorry , I didnt pick up on that in the flurry of my typing.

The injury is diagnosed as strained intercostal. Hurts like heck to sneeze , you can feel it when breathing in and llying down and getting up are all things that aggravate it. It goes right around to the front of the chest. I intially thort I'd made a slight tear in something or cracked a rib but I'm glad to say I have no cracked ribs.

I guess I'll have to be patient and wait it out

I see, well as most have said... most people train through what are typically considered "minor" injuries. (i broke a toe yesterday while sparring, and fully intend on taping it up and going back to train today) I see a lot of people (myself included) who point out their injuries to their sparring partners, not to tell them to go easy on them... but just so they are aware not to target a specific area, hopefully giving you some time to let that area recover so you can get back to being as close to 100% as possible. Remember, if you end up pushing it too far and really hurting yourself bad, then you won't be training at all , so gauge the severity and your level of comfort. Like someone had mentioned, nobody knows your own body better than yourself!

I currently have a sprained LCL ligament in my right knee. I'll be out for about two to three weeks then I'll play it by ear. I've made the silly mistake before and came back from injuries to early and paid a price. I was out even longer so it isn't worth it too me.

work on stretching the problem area and increasing mobility. the rest should come in time i would suppose. i bet there are exercises you can do to help rehab the injury as well. google it.

Back