Injuries as you age?

scandibro

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Up until I turned 30, I had never had a serious injury, never broke any bones or barely pulled something despite playing lots of sports.

Since turning 30, I have know had a degenerative disc, neck pain and latest to add as of today is a torn meniscus and (if lucky) partial ACL tear.

I ask: Is this just unlucky or does most above 30 begin having injuries frequently? I admit I was a fatass for almost 2 years and I think most of it comes from that very inactive period but still cant stop thinking that lifting played a role.

I don't think it's so much the age itself that is causing injury, but failure to pay attention to the differing recovery needs as you get older. Those definitely change - I need much more rest now (at age 44) than I did in my 20's, and when I resume training after periods of layoff, I need to ramp training progression much more slowly.

In my experience, paying attention to flexibility training, warming up properly, and joint and ligament health(for example via proper supplementation) is optional in your twenties. It's better if you do, but for the most part you don't need it.

After 30 it's no longer optional. Unless you want to be injured all the time, you HAVE to do this stuff. Although my game is jiu-jitsu and not strength sports, I think this rule is pretty much universal. You need to be a lot more smart about what stresses you subject your body to than you used to.

Funny how 30 was just a number people used to timeframe stuff. That was a the magic number that started the new aches and slower healing.

Had to space routines out smarter to not overtrain push/pull muscles for 2 days in a row. Supplements are going to have to change for hurting joints and cartilage lol. Metabolism finally slowed and weight is much harder to get off.

Still very alive with high energy but I find myself making more noise and getting up from crouch positions slower. Buttt on the other hand, newfound purpose for working out harder refusing to get old and soft.

I'm 17, but when I was early into my 16s I put so much weight on the bar that when I went to drop it my elbow stung. Had that pain for days. I think I remember it being called tennis elbow.

I wish I owned a wrist strap because I could already see consciences on what could happen.

Never had anything major

I'm 17, but when I was early into my 16s I put so much weight on the bar that when I went to drop it my elbow stung. Had that pain for days. I think I remember it being called tennis elbow.

I wish I owned a wrist strap because I could already see consciences on what could happen.

Never had anything major

When I was in my early 16s the girls called me Sticky Fingas.

Never had anything major

When I was 15, the highschool baseball coach put us in power lifting. My back stayed in pain for 2 years. Never went over form with us (being there were 25-30 people in weight room) Just paired a freshman-senior and sophomore-junior and blew the whistle.

15+ yrs later I see how stupid it was trying to lift weight to keep up with classmates instead of taking weight off and keeping proper form.

In your early 30s I believe your hormones start to change (e.g. test starts to slowly drop) so your body changes as well.

Personally I've definitely noticed a difference over the last 2-3 years (I'll be 34 in the Fall). I find that I have more mild aches and little tweaks take longer to go away. It's also harder to drop weight and/or keep it off. That said, I still feel like I have another 10-15 years where I can continue to improve it's just that I need to be more intelligent about it now.

I'm in my 30's. I generally feel great. I must be a lucky one.

If nothing else, injuries add up. Even minor injuries sustained in one's youth can develop into more serious ones with age and repeated re-injury.

(Case in point: my wrists and right elbow.)

Besides, parts of your body you don't excercise enough can suffer for it, in the long run.

As you get older you have to train smarter

I can still train as hard as i ever did, but i need more recovery time. Also need more warm up time

I turned 50 a few months ago. It is definitely harder to be injury free as you get older. You need more rest and better nutrition. You can still train hard, but you have to warm up, stay flexible and know when you are pushing too hard.

Never had anything major

When I was 16, I made up an account on sherdog and told people I have 150 fights.....then when they caught me, I made a new sherdog account and called myself Goldenboy, then I got caught and called out on it and talked shit to everybody and made them hate me even more...

.....oh wait....THAT WAS YOU, NOT ME!!!!!

When I was 16, I made up an account on sherdog and told people I have 150 fights.....then when they caught me, I made a new sherdog account and called myself Goldenboy, then I got caught and called out on it and talked shit to everybody and made them hate me even more...

Lol.

I'm 17, but when I was early into my 16s

You have teens, twenties, thirties etc. Early teens, early twenties, etc. You don't have the same for individual years- early 27s, late 41s.

Also, tennis elbow is an overuse injury.

If nothing else, injuries add up. Even minor injuries sustained in one's youth can develop into more serious ones with age and repeated re-injury.

(Case in point: my wrists and right elbow.)

Besides, parts of your body you don't excercise enough can suffer for it, in the long run.

All lies, Voteman don't budge for no-one or nothing.

When I was 16, I made up an account on sherdog and told people I have 150 fights.....then when they caught me, I made a new sherdog account and called myself Goldenboy, then I got caught and called out on it and talked shit to everybody and made them hate me even more while claiming a 315 bench @ 150lbs...

added a thing for you.

Back