Infuriating video of jerk messing with a semi

Isn't it illegal not to yield to truck drivers in most states?

Looks like the guy was riding in the truck's blind spot.

He was clearly trying to get hit.

No. The truck driver could clearly see the car.

Commercial vehicles have two kind of side mirrors, flat and curved. The flats should be alligned for the driver to see what's along the side of the trailer, and the curved allow a broader view to see two lanes over, and the trailer when making a turn.

The blind spot is directly behind the trailer. Don't ever tailgate a trailer. You're playing with your life.

And also guys, if you don't know, loaded commercial vehicles can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds, and the drivers drive as much as 70 hours within 8 days. Even when I'm driving in my car, I'm extra careful around them. The odds of surviving a collision with one of them is significantly less than a regular vehicle.

Isn't it illegal not to yield to truck drivers in most states?

In every state, truck drivers are to obey the posted traffic signs.

It wasn't shown, but there was a yield sign for the truck driver.

The guy sounds like a jerk but he has no legal obligation to get out of the trucks way. If you're merging you don't have the right of way. You can't just assume people will move because you're driving a large vehicle.

Exactly.

It never ceases to amaze me how many drivers want to bend and break traffic laws because they want to be nice. The truck does not have the right of way but people want to change that on the fly because they want to let the truck driver in. Another example that drives me nuts out of my mind is when you come to a 4 way stop the person that arrives first has the right of way. If you arrive at the same time, the person on your right has the right of way and yet they will pull up and begin waving their hand at you to go because they are being nice. Fuck that, follow the gdamn law as it was taught to you in driving school. I literally want to punch these nice people in their faces.

You can't come to a complete stop as a truck that size and merge properly onto that road.

That's why you need to pick up speed to merge properly onto that road.

He used a blinker and the guy riding in the right lane should've moved or simply driven in the left lane.

Exactly.

It never ceases to amaze me how many drivers want to bend and break traffic laws because they want to be nice. The truck does not have the right of way but people want to change that on the fly because they want to let the truck driver in. Another example that drives me nuts out of my mind is when you come to a 4 way stop the person that arrives first has the right of way. If you arrive at the same time, the person on your right has the right of way and yet they will pull up and begin waving their hand at you to go because they are being nice. Fuck that, follow the gdamn law as it was taught to you in driving school. I literally want to punch these nice people in their faces.
That drives me nuts too- the dreaded midwestern standoff. These tentative fuckers need to realize that it takes longer to resolve a nice-off than it does to simply observe the right of way and go accordingly.

My biggest pet peeve at stop signs is the people who are fully stopped but they wait for the next person to come to a complete stop before they actually go. If anyone does this I will simply go as soon as I've stopped.

You can't come to a complete stop as a truck that size and merge properly onto that road.

That's why you need to pick up speed to merge properly onto that road.

He used a blinker and the guy riding in the right lane should've moved or simply driven in the left lane.

The smartest choice the truck driver could have done is to drive along the shoulder, gradually slowing down until the car passed, and then merged into the lane.

If the car driver would have esclated the situation by slowing down along with him, then the truck driver should have used his air horn repeatedly until it became so annoying the car driver would have moved out of the way.

Are there any known traffic cops or interstate police on Sherdog that could give their experienced opinion of the situation?

The smartest choice the truck driver could have done is to drive along the shoulder, gradually slowing down until the car passed, and then merged into the lane.

If the car driver would have esclated the situation by slowing down along with him, then the truck driver should have used his air horn repeatedly until it became so annoying the car driver would have moved out of the way.

Are there any known traffic cops or interstate police on Sherdog that could give their experienced opinion of the situation?

The shoulder isn't meant for that though.

That's what a merge lane is for.

Prolly wouldn't clarify things much because every location is different and we can't even say for certain that this was in the south despite Cleet's accent.

That drives me nuts too- the dreaded midwestern standoff. These tentative fuckers need to realize that it takes longer to resolve a nice-off than it does to simply observe the right of way and go accordingly.

My biggest pet peeve at stop signs is the people who are fully stopped but they wait for the next person to come to a complete stop before they actually go. If anyone does this I will simply go as soon as I've stopped.

You've got me triggered just thinking about it.
tumblr_ljb5cxKqS11qixleeo1_500.gif

The simplest solution is to act like a civil human being and let the man who is driving a truck merge without a problem onto a major highway.

The guy is an asshole and tried being a dickhead for no reason other than him not wanting to participate in a social contract of the road.

Honestly, common sense goes a long way. Dude was way too stubborn, maybe he's right but if you can avoid an accident just by letting off the gas for a few seconds then do it

as was said, technically the driver was in the right. he was being incredibly discourteous, especially considering how difficult it is to drive a truck that size, but he was in the right.

now most people would have slowed, sped up, or moved over here to accommodate. what i HATE about "courteous" drivers is what happens during construction. let's say 4 lanes go down to 2 or one. they have a sign posted for 2 miles that says move to the left. but there are always dicks who want to bypass 93465348965 cars and zip on down the soon to be closed lanes and cut in front of everyone. i hate those dicks. what i hate MORE are the dicks who let them in. if i gotta wait, why the fuck dont they? they knew they had to get over.

or fucking motorcycle douches who drive between everyone. i know one day i will kill one who does that while i am not looking and i move over a little. thats why when they die i usually dont get bothered too much. i figure they were just driving stupid

The shoulder isn't meant for that though.

That's what a merge lane is for.

You're right, it's not what it's for.

But to use it as an extended merge lane to avoid a collision, while slowing down and eventually move into the lane is a much smarter choice to make than to cause a collision that you'd be responsible for.

I was just hired by a new company in Dallas Texas and took a driving test with the safety officer in the passinger seat analyzing my every move.

I happen to be in the exact situation this thread is about, but with just fast and heavy traffic, and I did what I discribed as the 'smartest choice' in my previous post, and the saftey officer has zero problem with it.

If I forced my way into the lane, the way the truck driver did in the video, I would not be employed right now.

I guarantee that.

You're right, it's not what it's for.

But to use it as an extended merge lane to avoid a collision, while slowing down and eventually move into the lane is a much smarter choice to make than to cause a collision that you'd be responsible for.

I was just hired by a new company in Dallas Texas and took a driving test with the safety officer in the passinger seat analyzing my every move.

I happen to be in the exact situation this thread is about, but with just fast and heavy traffic, and I did what I discribed as the 'smartest choice' in my previous post, and the saftey officer has zero problem with it.

If I forced my way into the lane, the way the truck driver did in the video, I would not be employed right now.

I guarantee that.

Let's face it. The pickup truck driver could've simply decelerated and allowed the truck in or simply don't drive the right lane like a grandmother afraid of the road.

Prolly wouldn't clarify things much because every location is different and we can't even say for certain that this was in the south despite Cleet's accent.

Traffic laws from state to state are 99% in allignment.

I don't see anything in the video that says how the car or truck driver would have been more responsible for the collision, based on what state it happened in.

Let's face it. The pickup truck driver could've simply decelerated and allowed the truck in or simply don't drive the right lane like a grandmother afraid of the road.

You're right, he could have done that, but he legally wasn't obligated to.

I'm not analysing the situation from a narrow 'That guy is an asshole, he's at fault' point of view. We see, and hear, the car driver's view. We can also see the truck driver's actions, and we know he had a Yield sign in which he was legally obligated to obey. What we don't know, is how the cops handled the situation, and who recieved the citation for the incident.

As far as I'm concerned he rear-ended that truck. This is 100% camera guys fault and he should be hung in public.

Back