Info on the following WMMA fighters

emax

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I posted this on the official WMMA thread number 9 and figured I would post it here as well.

I was wondering about information on the following WMMA fighters in terms of their grappling skills, in particular their positional grappling and ground grappling skills.

For Alexandra Albu, Tecia Torres, Holly Holm and Carla Esparza, I was wondering about the extent to which they have experience in grappling and who they train with and spar with for positional grappling and their ground game and how well they are able to do against these sparring partners. Do they train with international/Olympic level wrestlers, judoka or BJJ artists? And spar with them on a regular basis?

And since Albu did compete in Judo, how far did she get in Judo? Was she a national level competitor in Russia or at some sort of international level?

And the same goes for Holly Holm in terms of her grappling; who does she train with and spar with fro grappling on a regular basis?

I was wondering about them since they are right now the sole WMMA fighters in existence who are on the same building as Cyborg Santos or the current UFC BW champ in terms of speed, strength and power and general athleticism. That is why I was looking for more info on their grappling skills and in the case of Torres, Albu and Esparza, their credentials as well.

Tecia Torres
Karate black belt
Taekwondo black belt
BJJ blue belt
4 times Amateur Kickboxing World Champion
has an ammy Muay Thai record
trains at ATT

Carla Esparza
Collegiate Wrestling all-american
PanAm silver medal in JJ for blue belts (2013, the same year turned purple)
trains at Team Oyama and also saw her training with Krzysztof Soszynski, Giva Santana, ...

I truly think Holly Holm would KO Ronda without ever letting her engage her in grappling.

You might checkout Awakeningfighters and use its search function to find fighters, a bit of background on what these fighter's backgrounds are, some of their accomplishments, and, often but not always, some of their record covering much of their combat career in different disciplines.

The records section is often not complete and often lags behind their fights by months to a year but it is still useful.

Sometimes you'll get information on what camps they are in as well so you can at least take a guess as to who they can train with. Sherdog's fight finder sometimes also has some semi-useful camp information but it often lags behind where the fighter is currently.

An example.

Alexandra Albu:

1ST DISCIPLINE MMA Professional -
2ND DISCIPLINE Karate Black Belt Champion
3RD DISCIPLINE Judo Practitioner -
4TH DISCIPLINE Muay Thai Practitioner -
5TH DISCIPLINE Grappling Practitioner -
6TH DISCIPLINE

2x IJKA Russian Karate Champion
Multiple Moldovan Karate Champion
Multiple Ukrainian Karate Champion

--
You also might just check to see if the fighter you are interested in has a facebook page. You might find information about where they are training and with who. Similar with Twitter. Just some things to think about if you want to get information on a given fighter.

Last edited:
You might checkout Awakeningfighters and use its search function to find fighters, a bit of background on what these fighter's backgrounds are, some of their accomplishments, and, often but not always, some of their record covering much of their combat career in different disciplines.

The records section is often not complete and often lags behind their fights by months to a year but it is still useful.

Sometimes you'll get information on what camps they are in as well so you can at least take a guess as to who they can train with. Sherdog's fight finder sometimes also has some semi-useful camp information but it often lags behind where the fighter is currently.

An example.

Alexandra Albu:

6TH DISCIPLINE

--
You also might just check to see if the fighter you are interested in has a facebook page. You might find information about where they are training and with who. Similar with Twitter. Just some things to think about if you want to get information on a given fighter.
That was one of the most helpful posts I have encountered in Sherdog history. Thank you very, very much.

You're welcome. I'm happy to help.

For Alexandra Albu, it seems her Judo is at least closer to being on Rousey's level than any of her previous opponents were and she is much closer to Rousey in terms of power and overall athleticism. Do you think Albu could finally be the one to at least force Rousey to fight like a fully rounded MMA fighter and prevent Rousey from steamrolling her as trivially as she has her other opponents?

For Alexandra Albu, it seems her Judo is at least closer to being on Rousey's level than any of her previous opponents were and she is much closer to Rousey in terms of power and overall athleticism. Do you think Albu could finally be the one to at least force Rousey to fight like a fully rounded MMA fighter and prevent Rousey from steamrolling her as trivially as she has her other opponents?

I read somewhere that Albu wanna cut to SW.
Even Esparza is a SW, just Holm fight @ BW.

An example.

Alexandra Albu:

6TH DISCIPLINE

--

That is great, thanks!! :D
I thought to find them not prepared on Karolina Kowalkiewicz resume since she's a Krav Maga pratictioner, and instead is well updated lol

^^^ Thanks for the Awakenings site Thirdpres, very useful resource

^^^ Thanks for the Awakenings site Thirdpres, very useful resource

You're welcome prometheus.

Agreed. Very useful site. I'm glad they go to the trouble of having fights/results from multiple disciplines.

That is great, thanks!! :D
I thought to find them not prepared on Karolina Kowalkiewicz resume since she's a Krav Maga pratictioner, and instead is well updated lol

You're welcome VolkHan.

Back