Info on Carlos Lima

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Southland, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Southland

Southland White Belt

I was hoping someone could help me with finding out more about Carlos "Bagana" Lima. He is listed as one of Carlson Gracie's Black Belts (that Carlson personally wrote before passing away) and Israel Gomes (American Killer Bees; Anderson Silva associate) lists him as his source for BJJ Black Belt.

I can't find much if anything on this particular guy and was hoping someone might have some good info. Thanks for any help.

2. Zé Eleuterio

Zé Eleuterio White Belt

I know Carlinhos. Actually, I was with him Friday. He lives in Ponta Grossa, a city in Paraná State, Brazil. What do you need to know about him?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  3. Jopa Santana

Jopa Santana Purple Belt

Dear Southland. I'm one of his pupils here in the city of Ponta Grossa.

I know a little bit of his history.
    Carlos Lima, AKA Carlinhos Lima or Carlos Bagana Lima, grew up in Rio the Janeiro City, in the same street as some "boys" of the Gracie Family, such as Rickson Gracie. I said boys, because they're about the same age, and his history in the jiu-jitsu starts when Master Rickson Gracie was a teenager.

Carlinhos Lima was always in the neighbourhood of a plenty of brazilian jiu-jitsu legends, and that is how his history starts. Learning jiu-jistu with Master Carlson Gracie, and some times, he used to walk around and watch what was going on at Master's Helio Gracie gym. He's a small person, probably the same size of Royler Gracie ( he says, i dont know Royler) so he was always developing his jiu-jitsu, based on the jiu-jitsu of the masters with small size.

Master Delariva told us, last saturday on his seminar at the city of Curitiba, that Carlinhos was graduated purple belt before him, and was invited to practice in Carlson's Lions Room before as well as (Carlson has two rooms for his pupils, one for jiu-jitsu, and a special room for lions). But Master Carlinhos Lima is a relaxed person (a take it easy one), and for that reason, he was brown belt for many years. At that time, Carlson went to EUA to develop some pupils in MMA. For that reason, other guys used to lead Carlson's gym in Brazil, and Carlinhos was waitting to see, how things would be solved because Master Carlson was always travelling between Brazil an EUA. By this way, Master Delariva was graduated Blak Belt before Carlinhos Lima, and both of them has no problems with that, because they're good fellows.

So, Master Delariva started to do Jiu-jitsu classes in another gym, and invited Carlinhos Lima to be with him, taking classes by the morning i think.
    While in the United States, Master Carlson Gracie went sick, and published his Black Belt List, containning Carlinhos Lima's name. With that, master Delariva gave to Carlinhos his Black Belt.

After that Carlinhos Lima came to the state of Parana in south of Brazil, with Master Renato Tavares and Master Soneca. There, they started a vanguard job, teaching jiu-jitsu in the city of many MMA legends, such as Vanderlei Silva, Murilo Ninja, Jose Pele Landi, Anderson Silva, Shogun, Israel Gomes, Vidal and many others.

He told me that he started to show his jiu-jitsu to all of those muay thai monsters. But life was not waitting to establish him at Curitiba. During a night out with friends,he knew a girl, called Ierte Samara, who used to live in the city of Ponta Grossa (State of Parana).

With her Carlinhos Lima moved to Ponta Grossa, got married and have four children. Today he is based in that city and is forming his legacy, with the flag of Irmandade Carlos Lima and probably, will integrate the flag of Master Delariva soon. He formed many south brazilians black belts, such as Sebastian Lalli (former world champion), Sérgio Ávila (former european champion) and many others.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  4. Southland

Southland White Belt

Wow! Thanks for this!

I actually train at a school that is loosely affiliated with one of his blackbelts.