Social Influx of Americans into Mexico City and Portugal have locals angry at gentrification

nhbbear

Duty Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Mexico City residents are pissed off at the number of Americans, specifically, Californians that have been moving into the city and driving prices up. Fliers have been put up telling Americans that they are a plague and they need to go home. Due to the lower cost of living, Americans have been working remotely from the Mexican city and changing the cultural dynamic with an influx of coffee shops and other American creature comforts making traditional Mexican fare dissapear. Mexican locals have been complaining of imperialism tactics and now say they have to compete with rich Mexicans as well as Americans for dining out and going to clubs. Portugal has also been companining with the number of Americans now living there up 45% from the previous years.

Wow. The nerve of some people. We let you sneak in under the fence and wash our floors and pick our fruits and this is how you repay us?

Seriosuly, why? I get that it’s cheap and an “adventure” but do you really want to get hung from a light pole to live cheaply in such a densely packed city?

https://nypost.com/2022/07/28/mexic...speaking-english-gentrifying-area-report/amp/

So now when Californians have allegedly ruined the USA, they're going worldwide?

Oh shit

{<jordan}

1*90ZK6viecwUptTqHF3tW8A.jpeg

Last edited:
Back in 2002 I lived in Toluca for 6 months, about 30-40 minutes outside of Mexico City. The people there were always super cool, and respectful. The only time I got messed with was one time in Mexico City at the mercado. Some teenagers tried to rob me but I ran and hid in a supermarket. Overall it was a great experience.

I was looking at going to Portugal recently and everything was pretty damn cheap. I’d much rather go there than Mexico City just in terms of safety lol. Trip still pending tho cuz flights are outrageous(I sound poor).

Lol our Hispanic friends have been trying to get us to move there. They're building a second home there right now.
I'm guessing it's not a good time.

Just curious, would it bother them if there was an influx of Americans immigrants, but of Mexican descent? So Hispanic Americans coming in droves?

Just curious, would it bother them if there was an influx of Americans immigrants, but of Mexican descent? So Hispanic Americans coming in droves?
That is probably what is happening and that is probably part of the problem, it’s Latin America, they’re probably a bunch of rich white mexicans who don’t want smelly new money Indians stinking up their barrio.

Mexico has an incredibly low immigration rate, they’re a xenophobic country. Mexican Americans are not their brothers, though a lot of dumb ass Mexican Americans view them as brothers LOL.

Imagine if a people were to move into cities all across ones country, never speak the language, open shops with different culture, leech off the available welfare systems, send their earnings out of country, commit crimes, live by different laws/societal norms/standards, expect the locals to accommodate while not assimilating, etc, etc... It's not a positive thing for communities... We know...

Californians raising home prices in the Pacific NorthWest, pissing off the locales; now they are raising prices in Meh Hee Ko.
Mexico is about to become great lol. From what our friends tell us and what we've seen on YouTube Americans with money are moving there to make the most of their funds.
I bet they change the economy over time.

Back