International Indonesia To Move Capital City to Borneo, as Crowded and Polluted Jakarta Sinks Into The Ground

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Arkain2K, Aug 26, 2019.

1. brackis1

brackis1 Gold Belt Platinum Member

I think you're missing my point:
    HockeyBJJ guy was trying to insinuate "the government" was to blame for the city becoming ridiculous, when it seems like overdevelopment and poor regulation is a product of a LACK of government, leading to a Lorax style failing of land use by private industry.

COVID-19 likes this.
  2. MicroBrew

MicroBrew Steel Belt

Naturally powerful and connected Indonesians have divvied up the choice lands and resources in the new locale.

3. tdluxon

tdluxon Red Belt

It’s sad because Jakarta is such an environmental nightmare, but the reality is they’re smart for making a managed retreat from a low area that’s virtually assured of being flooded soon

4. hillelslovak87

hillelslovak87 Steel Belt

No, Joko Widodo was the silent partner. The out front owner was Sinduku Derish.

It's hilarious listening to ultra star wars fans. I have a high school buddy who has the rebel alliance logo tattooed on his forearm (next to Slipknot tats, eew), and he says some of these names. Oh god.

"Jedi Master Jercin Adala sent her greatest student, Indora Selusa, to the desert planet of Derplinda."

5. ocfightfan

ocfightfan Gold Belt

Some people just take things too far. A few years ago there was a black guy who worked at my local CVS and for him it was Nike everything. He had the logo shaved into his head and all over his car. I don't recall if he had the tattoo, but he seemed the sort. I am amused by people that choose to get logos and famous people's faces tattooed on their bodies. What happens when their ugly secrets become widely known?

[​IMG]

6. hillelslovak87

hillelslovak87 Steel Belt

Fanboyism, I will never get it in an age of broadening choices.

That Cosby tat, though, lol. Even before Cosby got gotted, a Cosby sweater was already urban dictionary speak for puking bright cereals onto your lover. Now the tat simply says, to me, "I drug girls."

volodya likes this.
  7. Low Test With da Best

Low Test With da Best Purple Belt Platinum Member

Especially when the tattoo of the famous person is only recognizable by his trademark cold weather garment...<{outtahere}>

8. Arkain2K

Arkain2K Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

9. Arkain2K

Indonesia speeds up capital city move
    December 20, 2019

[​IMG]
    This handout picture taken and released by the Indonesian Presidential Palace shows a motorcade transporting Widodo accompanied by officials visiting North Penajam Paser district near Sepaku in East Kalimantan where the government is set to build it’s new capital city replacing Jakarta.

JAKARTA: Indonesian President Joko Widodo said on Wednesday that he had ordered his Cabinet to speed up a US$32.79 billion project to move the capital city from Jakarta to Borneo island so that the new ‘Silicon Valley’-like city could be ready by 2023, a year earlier than the government’s original estimate.

VNA reported that Widodo, in a Facebook post, said the government would form a new agency to oversee the relocation project next month and it would then officially submit a bill backing the move to the parliament.

The leader expressed his hope that the whole process, including the grand design, can be completed in six months.

The next job will be land clearing and basic infrastructure construction, he said.

The 256,000ha site of the capital is on highland overseeing a bay, he said, noting government offices would begin to be built next year and should be ready by 2023.

He said he hopes that the new capital could be the next Silicon Valley due to a cluster of research and innovation facilities envisaged for the area.

The President announced in August the government intended to move the administrative capital to East Kalimantan province, on Borneo, by 2024 to relieve the heavy burden on the current capital Jakarta due to overcrowding and pollution.

Jakarta, the current capital of the world’s fourth-most populous country, on the island of Java, is now home to 10 million people and is sinking due to over-extraction of groundwater, as well as being prone to floods and traffic gridlock.

https://www.theborneopost.com/2019/12/20/indonesia-speeds-up-capital-city-move/amp/

ElKarlo likes this.
  10. ElKarlo

ElKarlo Steel Belt

Hopefully this move is successful and can show you can move your capital and do proper city planning

ObsoleteSoul likes this.
  11. TheLinguist

TheLinguist You’ve yee’d your last haw Yellow Card

Jakarta is a fucking shit hole and I always have to spend an hour in interrogation (upon arrival) when flying in from China

12. Arkain2K

Deadly Flash Floods in Indonesia’s Capital Leave Thousands Homeless
    By Muktita Suhartono and Russell Goldman | Jan. 2, 2020​

[​IMG]

JAKARTA, Indonesia — Flash floods killed at least 17 people and left tens of thousands homeless in Jakarta, the Indonesian capital, the authorities said on Thursday after the city’s most intense period of rainfall since record keeping began more than 20 years ago.

On Tuesday, parts of the city recorded more than a foot of rain, according to the country’s Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency. The rain persisted on Wednesday and more was predicted this week for the metro area, one of Asia’s largest urban districts and home to more than 30 million people.

[​IMG]

At least 19,000 people had been displaced by Thursday, according to the Ministry of Social Affairs, as teams of emergency workers sought to clear flooded streets and repair downed power lines.

More than 100 rescue workers from the country’s emergency relief agency and several military units had been deployed in the capital, said Budi Purnama, the operations director of National Search and Rescue Agency.

[​IMG]

Mr. Budi said the rescue workers were struggling in city streets that had been turned into rushing rivers.

“The water discharge is very fast, the current is so strong that it even pushes parked vehicles,” he said.

When Baby Hanna Siregar, a marketer who lives in Jakarta, went to sleep at her brother’s home at 3 a.m. on Wednesday, everything “was still O.K.,” she said. But just three hours later, her “brother’s car was already one-third submerged.”

[​IMG]

By Thursday, she said, she and her family were trapped. “Since then, we are not able to go anywhere,” she said. “I don’t know how much longer we are going to be stranded here.”

About 40 percent of Jakarta lies below sea level, and the authorities have tried for years to alleviate flooding. Ordinary rains can swamp neighborhoods, as illegally dug wells and climate change have caused the city to sink faster than any other big city in the world.

As a result, officials announced in 2019 that they would relocate the capital to East Kalimantan Province, on the island of Borneo.

[​IMG]

The authorities said the extreme weather coupled with delays in flood alleviation projects were responsible for the week’s chaos.

“The rain falling on New Year’s Eve in the western and northern parts of Java was very extreme,” the meteorology agency said in a statement, referring to the Java Island, Indonesia’s most populous. “This rain is not ordinary rain.”

President Joko Widodo said in a tweet on Thursday that delays in flood control infrastructure projects since 2017 were responsible, and blamed “land acquisition” issues.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/02/world/asia/indonesia-jakarta-rain-floods.html

ElKarlo likes this.
  13. rearnakedchoke

rearnakedchoke Suck it!

That’s some heavy news.

14. Bald1

Bald1 War Room Can

This is pure delusion. 3 years? Never going to happen.

15. Arkain2K

I got a good chuckle about his absurd plan to complete the grand design for the new capital city, both architectural and infrastructural, within 6 months.

I foresee a new Indonesian idiom in the near future: "Same shit, different capital".

ElKarlo and Bald1 like this.
  16. Bald1

Bald1 War Room Can

Never going to happen. Best case scenario they will be 20 times the budget and 15 years late. Worst case is the project will get rammed through resulting in a massive death toll due to substandard *everything*.

Yeah, I just pulled those numbers out of my butt, but there doesn't even seem to be a 4 lane blacktop going to the new site. Nevermind a road system to rival the 401 (busiest highway in North America). And that would be the bare minimum to get started. Joko is an ignorant putz.

ElKarlo likes this.
  17. covenant

covenant Black Belt

141 million indonesians in java and all living on a tiny sliver of land. im surpirsed there hasnt been more effort to settle borneo.

seems like indonesia needs papua new guinea aswell to avoid a humanitarian crisis.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    ElKarlo likes this.
  18. covenant

covenant Black Belt

people there dont care. bali relies on tourism and yet theres rubbish strewn around on the beaches.

its tomorrows problem.

19. Sonnyboi83

Sonnyboi83 Purple Belt

only way i see this can be done within the deadline is with the help of China with their "Infrastructure rebuild" assistance. But it will be the double edge sword deal.

Bald1 and Low Test With da Best like this.
  20. Low Test With da Best

Low Test With da Best Purple Belt Platinum Member

King Kong doesn't tap!

@KONG-D'SNT-TAP lol