Indonesia, S. Korea Sign $1.3B Fighter Jet Development Deal

GhostZ06

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
SEOUL — Indonesia signed a $1.3 billion deal with South Korea on Thursday to jointly develop Seoul's next-generation fighter jets, the South's aircraft manufacturer said.

Under the deal signed with Korea Aerospace Industries (KAI), Indonesia's Defence Ministry will invest about 1.6 trillion won (US $1.3 billion) in the Korean Fighter Experimental (KF-X) program.

The program is aimed at producing new, homegrown fighter jets to replace the South's aged fleet of F-4 and F-5 fighters imported from the US.

http://www.defensenews.com/story/de...n-13bn-fighter-jet-development-deal/78402174/

KFX.jpg

Very surprised why Korea needs Indonesia

I kind of cringe every time I read about this program. Indonesia doesn't have a stellar record of realising it's loftier capability aspirations and I'm really not confident of the Koreans' ability to drive this without a lot of help from the US. In which case... just buy F35s (!?)

Korea is superior to Indonesia in pretty much every way.

Very surprised why Korea needs Indonesia

Best part, they arent really making an orginal design either.

p1625874-main.jpg

it looks like a fucking F-35

i mean they might get 2 separate frames?

And yes S korea is very far superior to Indonesia. Weirdly i figured the Philippines would be in on this

Yup. I'm pretty sure they've been dealing with Lockheed directly so no surprise there. There was some story about tech transfer issues not long ago... No idea why they don't save themselves a lot of pain and just buy F35s.

Gorea is trying to become a regional weapons and defense provider. The philippines ordered a squadron of fa-50 from gorea to bolster their pathetic airforce and will order more in the near future.

Yup. I'm pretty sure they've been dealing with Lockheed directly so no surprise there. There was some story about tech transfer issues not long ago... No idea why they don't save themselves a lot of pain and just buy F35s.

Thats just stupid, korea ordered the F-35. i think 40 F-35A, why the hell would they need 2 of the same plane.

im gonna guess they ar going with 2 frames for each country, also SAAB did a technology transfer. So the top one could be for the SK.

Gorea is trying to become a regional weapons and defense provider. The philippines ordered a squadron of fa-50 from gorea to bolster their pathetic airforce and will order more in the near future.

*sighs* They should have bought F-16s, and knowing our replationship with them we would probably give them a good deal.

I kind of cringe every time I read about this program. Indonesia doesn't have a stellar record of realising it's loftier capability aspirations and I'm really not confident of the Koreans' ability to drive this without a lot of help from the US. In which case... just buy F35s (!?)
Korea is building some good shit now a days.

Why do they need F-35's? Do they have a high need of stealth? Super Hornets is the way to go.

*sighs* They should have bought F-16s, and knowing our replationship with them we would probably give them a good deal.
The philippines needs the us' consent on defense matters. The us probably gave the nod for those budjet fighter-trainers.

Korea is building some good shit now a days.

They really do. i saw they're Defense road map. They got a lot of cool stuff coming, including an Aircraft carrier, and a Rods of god like weapon.

Why do they need F-35's? Do they have a high need of stealth? Super Hornets is the way to go.

funny enough they were gonna get the F-15 silent eagle. Then lockheed i think im safe in saying pay'd off some people. F-15 silent eagle actually won the deal.

Best part, they arent really making an orginal design either.

p1625874-main.jpg

it looks like a fucking F-35

i mean they might get 2 separate frames?

And yes S korea is very far superior to Indonesia. Weirdly i figured the Philippines would be in on this

Nah Korea is much superior to Indonesia and sadly I think Malaysia and Indonesia is also superior to the Philippines in a lot of things.

I don't think the US will give the Philippines a good deal regarding F-16s, because of the current political climate in the P.I
and aside from that the Philippine armed forces are involved in a ton of corruption like supplying arms to the Moslim rebels in the south.

As of now the Philippine Airforce is practically none existent as a fighting force.

Meanwhile the Chinese communist navy and Airforces are building landing strips in the West Philippine sea.

Last edited:

F35s would fill the capability niche that these jets are aimed at - 5th Gen, VLO etc. I imagine they are trying to keep pace with the Chinese. A 4.5 gen platform probably isn't a big enough forward step for this.

F35s would fill the capability niche that these jets are aimed at - 5th Gen, VLO etc. I imagine they are trying to keep pace with the Chinese. A 4.5 gen platform probably isn't a big enough forward step for this.

Well for china i think SK can actually develope a quality jet engine where china can't.

Nah Korea is much superior to Indonesia and sadly I think Malaysia and Indonesia is also superior to the Philippines in a lot of things.

I don't think the US will give the Philippines a good deal regarding F-16s, because of the current political climate in the P.I
and aside from that the Philippine armed forces are involved in a ton of corruption like supplying arms to the Moslim rebels in the south.

Meanwhile the Chinese communist navy and Airforces are building landing strips in the West Philippine sea.

http://thediplomat.com/2015/12/us-gives-philippines-114-military-vehicles/

Well yall did just get this from us. And orginally we agreed to Sell 2 sqaudrons of F-16Vs to you.

http://www.manilalivewire.com/2015/...6-v-fighter-jet-from-the-us-blocked-by-china/

i think it went down the toilet

Previous posts have hit the nail on the head I think. The jet looks like an attempt to gain a foothold in the 5th gen export market. I've got my doubts about how successful it will be. Prove me wrong Korea! lol

Back