Law India's transgender community says new bill violates their rights

Isn't India the gang rape capitol of the world?

I feel there are other steps on the human rights ladder to be addressed first before getting to a delicate balance of how exactly a person self identifying as not their birth gender is handled on the paperwork side
Just because people get murdered doesn't mean we should look past muggings.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-new-bill-violates-their-rights-idUSKBN1OH22W

Surprised to see Indian lawmakers addressing transgender issues, especially under the Modi government. But it seems they're not doing so to the satisfaction of the transcommunity. The provision concerning the screening by experts seems to me to have the intention to prevent a rise in people spuriously identifying as transgender but in a country as conservative as India I can see how that might backfire.

I can see the plus of both sides of the argument. There does need to be screening cause if everyone can freely choose their gender it is absolutely certain many people will abuse this, just as hundreds of millions abuse the set asides for downtrodden castes, where you have castes who were never at the very bottom grabbing set-asides for castes who were historically at the very bottom. What might be a compromise is to let the trans community elect a leadership panel that will have just as much say on who is transgender.

<{walkerwhut}>

You'd be okay with getting all your rights, rights, little by little?

I sure as hell wouldn't.
Fair enough. I just dont think we agree on what a right is.
I dont feel like hormone therapy or pronouns are rights.
Let me be clear. I am a very proud father of a transgender son. I fight every day the hate and ignorance of most people on this subject.
My worries aren't exactly non biased here.
If all I need to worry about as a father was someone using a different pronoun I'd be fine. I am also not in a position to worry about pre pubescent kids getting hormones as my son is old enough to make his own choices with his doctor.
Also the military service issue to me is a non issue. Military service is not a right.
The percentage of transgenders who are interested is tiny. The suicide rate for transgender is high and it is high for inlisted military. I wouldn't want to even know how high it is for someone who is trans and inlisted.
Not worth it imo.

Last edited:
<{walkerwhut}>

You'd be okay with getting all your rights, rights, little by little?

I sure as hell wouldn't.

In a country like the us or canada, no. In a country like india....sadly they are lucky they are allowed to exist as freely as they do. Its hard enough being trans in a western society, now imagine in country that has just 4 more fucks to give than saudi arabia.
They may have to be patient unfortunately.

India should sort out how females are treated first.

Yep just like other Ancient Asian religions where issues of homer Sexuality is not as black and white like the great Abrahamic faiths.

These traditional indian transgenders chop off their balls with no anesthesia. Crazy.

Trannies sure do bitch and moan a lot.

Just because people get murdered doesn't mean we should look past muggings.

When people are being tortured, I do think it's ok to overlook some name calling in order to go after the far greater issue with more resources

Fair enough. I just dont think we agree on what a right is.
I dont feel like hormone therapy or pronouns are rights.
Let me be clear. I am a very proud father of a transgender son. I fight every day the hate and ignorance of most people on this subject.
My worries aren't exactly non biased here.
If all I need to worry about as a father was someone using a different pronoun I'd be fine. I am also not in a position to worry about pre pubescent kids getting hormones as my son is old enough to make his own choices with his doctor.
Also the military service issue to me is a non issue. Military service is not a right.
The percentage of transgenders who are interested is tiny. The suicide rate for transgender is high and it is high for inlisted military. I wouldn't want to even know how high it is for someone who is trans and inlisted.
Not worth it imo.

I kind of smirked when I read his post.

Will there be a debate if they can use the women's bathroom? Or the debate is if they should even use any toilet at all?

India's transgender community says new government policy of having them all executed by stoning violates their rights

Seems like a lot of trouble, i.e. begging and prostitution, just for the satisfaction of wearing a gaudy dress and lipstick. It's like the cornerstone of their lives. Real women aren't obsessed about the idea of themselves as women, they go about their day: they work in a field that interests them, they have hobbies, they have friends, etc, they're not defined by their biological sex. Blanchard, a psychology researcher, created a theory that for certain male-to-female transgenders, their gender dysphoria is actually a paraphilia: instead of being attracted to women in the outside world like normal heterosexual men would, there's essentially a cross-wiring and they're attracted to the idea of themselves as women (autogynephilia). Blanchard called it an erotic target location error. We already have examples of this in related paraphilias, for example from Cantor's research we know that the brains of convicted paedophiles are wired very differently on average, their brains mistakenly interpret children as potential sexual/romantic objects instead of eliciting protective/paternal emotions. There's definitely more research needed but it sounds like a great venue to explore. It would explain why many transsexuals are so obsessed with clothing and appearance, at the expense of more meaningful aspects of life.

These traditional indian transgenders chop off their balls with no anesthesia. Crazy.

Oh my, talk about dedication. There's no waiting for acceptance from society or insurance coverage, just snip away. On some level its kind of admirable that they commit to the bit so thoroughly.
When people are being tortured, I do think it's ok to overlook some name calling in order to go after the far greater issue with more resources
Its not like there's some progressive collective in India that just decided to focus on trans rights, its trans activists pushing the issue because its, for obvious reasons, important to them.

Besides transgender people in India are uniquely vulnerable to violence and sexual exploitation so I wouldn't minimize their concerns too much.

India has an ancient sub-culture about pan sexualism.

They call it the 3rd gender I think they call the trannies Hijra.

But this sub culture is rooted in Indian mysticism and associated with religion and the concept of Karma and some more supersticious Hindus avoid them not merely because of homophobia but for the suposed bad luck they may bring.

I woud think the more modern and western oriented Transexuals in India dont indenitify with that old subculkture and don't want to be associated with it.

960px-A_group_of_Hijra_in_Bangladesh.jpg
Most of the people reflexively attacking them in this thread don't realize they have existed for centuries as a subculture within India. This predates the modern sexual liberation movements.

Back