Economy Indiana utility companies want to raise rates to make up for lost revenue during pandemic

Teppodama

A Dude, playing a Dude, disquised as another Dude
@Silver
Reaction score
https://fox59.com/news/indiana-util...-to-make-up-for-lost-revenue-during-pandemic/

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Indiana’s gas and electric companies are asking state regulators to allow them to recover lost revenue from customers due to the pandemic, but critics argue that it would burden struggling consumers even more.

Ten companies, including Indianapolis Power & Light Co. and Duke Energy Inc., filed the request Friday with the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission. They want to charge customers for all “bad debt expense incurred” associated with an executive order that has suspended disconnections for nonpayment through June 4.

The petition stated that the pandemic is causing “substantial adverse financial impact” on their business. But companies did not provide any actual figures regarding loss in revenue or how much customer’s bills would increase if approved.

Building closures across the state has caused an overall downturn in energy use thus putting a financial strain on energy companies, the petitioners said.

Citizens Action Coalition of Indiana, a consumer group, called the request “unprecedented utility greed.”

“It is disgusting that during these unprecedented times, they are more concerned with quarterly stock reports than with the health, safety and well-being of the Hoosier communities and consumers which they serve,” Kerwin Olson said in a written response. He is the organization’s executive director.

Essentially, utilities want to charge customers for energy that they did not sell, Olson added.

The Indiana Energy Association, a trade group that represents utilities, said the petition seeks to defer the fixed-cost portion of energy production “that enables companies to have power available around the clock.”

The association also cited that at least 29 other states have approved similar regulations to what Indiana utilities are seeking.

If approved, utility companies will have to track coronavirus related costs and make plans on how to recover their losses, which could include charging customers over time. Customers would not be impacted immediately.

A commission spokesperson said they could not comment on pending cases.

The Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor announced Monday it is asking the state to investigate how companies will handle the pandemic’s impact on utility rates, services, and overdue utility accounts. The agency also wants the state to extend the suspension of utility disconnections and waive all deposits and fees.

“This extraordinary and unprecedented situation calls for new protections to ensure that all Hoosiers have access to essential services, especially consumers who are suffering loss of income through no fault of their own,” Indiana Utility Consumer Counselor Bill Fine said.

I will be surprised if they are stopped from doing this. Fortunately my household doesn't use a lot of electricity or gas. Fuck them regardless.

I don't know what their books look like, so its hard to judge this.

Non-nationalized utilities look like this

Are they trying to get back pay from accounts that stopped paying to take advantage of the "no disconnection" order, or are they raising rates for everyone to make up for it?

“It is disgusting that during these unprecedented times, they are more concerned with quarterly stock reports than with the health, safety and well-being of the Hoosier communities and consumers which they serve,”

Is that just the response to everything now, regardless of whether it even makes sense in context? How does making a payment plan for service that was used and not paid for endanger people's health and safety?

This is dumb.

The lockdowns started as winter turned into spring. Therefore, people naturally will be using less gas since they don't need to heat their homes.

I feel this is just an excuse to get a cash grab.

“People are really struggling out there”

“Great, let’s charge em more”

I don't see the problem. Shutting the country down isn't free. It doesn't mean you get to just drink a lot and play computer games forever.

It doesn't mean you get to just drink a lot and play computer games forever.
I just imagine you are literally sitting on your ass getting shitfaced playing COD

It’s always projection with you people

I just imagine you are literally sitting on your ass getting shitfaced playing COD
Yes, but I'm also not in America right now and not everything's shut down and the economy is moving smoothly. So, things like this aren't happening.

Dude this isn't Marvel Comics where The Flash can just shoot electricity from his hands or Franklin Richards can just will it into existence. This is the real world. Getting electricity requires resources like oil or hardware like solar panels, it requires power lines which are made out of real materials, it requires people to show up and do work. None of these things just appear out of thin air. If everything's shut down then things become scarce and bills don't get paid, things start to break down. Meat gets rationed, electricity gets expensive until it too starts getting rationed, etc. If you want to shut the country down, these things are part of doing that.

Pretending that you can just shut the country down and nothing bad happens and then blaming innocent businesses and people caught in the crossfire is TDS.

“People are really struggling out there”

“Great, let’s charge em more”
The decision was probably more like:

"The economy's shut down and people aren't paying their bills. We can't pay for repairs or labor. Shut the company down and cut off electricity to everyone."

"That would be horrible, let's charge em that can pay more."

Just wait. People think unemployment is bad now, wait until things are back to normal and CEOs realize their bonuses are wrecked.

Outsourcing and layoffs will be immense to make up for lost profits. This is why you need protections in place and for companies to lose all grants and stimulus money if they fuck over the workers.

My family doctor raised rates ridiculous amounts, not sure if I blame insurance or the doctor in this case. Triple the normal amount.........

why don't they just ask for a bailout? Money comes from government, not customers. Thought they would realize this by now

They are pretty much asking for a bailout without asking for a bailout

Yup. Some things need to be government controlled.

+juan.
When Sweden sold out the power to private companies the first thing they did was to increase prices claiming they have build the infrastructure so they needed money. They BOUGHT IT and it was build by the government.
Now they raised prices because they plan upgrades on the grid.
How many companies can charge their clients in advance for things they plan to do in the future?
Several big companies in southern Sweden are looking into moving because they cant get the power they need to expand. Power companies does not want to help out since it will cost them money.
Government had to call them to a meeting.

The private power companies try to suck you dry and is pure mafia here.
I pay more for my meter (that shit is owned by one power company) and the transportation of the power to my household than I pay for the actual power.
Its fucked up.

FUCK em.

why do you guys hate freedom? it's their constitutional right to charge what they want and only cuck libs would say otherwise, m i rite boys?

Back