International India Facing Healthcare and Economic Disaster from Second Wave of COVID

Orgasmo

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Looks like India dropped the ball big time. It's now hitting close to 350k cases a day with over 2k deaths, but the government's COVID numbers are suspect. Crematoriums in most Indian states are running non-stop.
The country has descended into a tragedy of unprecedented proportions. Almost 1.6 million cases have been registered in a week, bringing total cases to more than 15 million. In the space of just 12 days, the Covid positivity rate doubled to 17%, while in Delhi it hit 30%. Hospitals across the country have filled to capacity but this time it is predominately the young taking up the beds; in Delhi, 65% of cases are under 40 years old.

While the unprecedented spread of the virus has been partly blamed on a more contagious variant that has emerged in India, Modi’s government has also been accused of failures of political leadership from the top, with lax attitudes emulated by state and local leaders from all parties and even health officials across the country, which led many to falsely believe in recent months that India had defeated Covid.
This is currently in Delhi where the country's best medical facilities are (WARNING: Upsetting scenes):

5cqzpvf99ru61.jpg

The news reports say the new mutated strain is the cause. They were doing pretty good before.
Tin foil hatters were saying the first wave would be not so serious so people allow it to seed the earth. Then they said the new mutations encoded into the weapon would begin the destruction of humanity.

our vaccines won’t protect against the mutations

So you have 350k cases a day and 2k dying, roughly 0.6%, and thats malnourished slum dwellers living directly on top of one another surrounded by human waste and filth?

Expected it to be a little deadlier. I guess its killing the fatties we have that are carrying an extra 30-50 pound backpacks of extra weight while having diabetes at a similar rate.

Imagine if the West simply had healthy people who weren't fat peices of human garbage? We wouldn't have to spend 10T a year for the flu.

They have a point. We didn’t know better early on and didn’t stop global travel.

now we do know better and can stop global travel but won’t. The new mutations will come back to America and fuck us up. And we will be back at square one.

why would those in charge allow that? Maybe, just maybe, that’s the Intention.

there is no going back.

The news reports say the new mutated strain is the cause. They were doing pretty good before.

I think there was a study that the 1st India wave is a bit weaker than tbe Wuhanese strain and much weaker than the EU strain.

But now with variance its not going well for them.

It really stinks. We haven't been able to visit the grandparents for 2 years in a row and it's probably going to be at least 3. At their age, it's tragic.

How are your kids and wife doing my family are feeling all the strain lack money and the fear of getting sick

How are your kids and wife doing my family are feeling all the strain lack money and the fear of getting sick
Fam is doing well. My in-laws are hyper cautious but otherwise fine. It's harder to get household help than before though. But I get the hyper caution, India's not a place where I would want to get sick.

This is bad news for the rest of the world too as they recently stopped the export of the vaccines that they were producing there whilst they addressed their won vaccine effort. Apparantly the disease is now predominantly affecting younger people -those in 20s & 30s with a lot of severe disease and death in that age range. Whilst its not certain that the new variants are driving this, at least one of them is already widely distributed around the world having been detected in at least 20 countries.

Fam is doing well. My in-laws are hyper cautious but otherwise fine. It's harder to get household help than before though. But I get the hyper caution, India's not a place where I would want to get sick.

Yup the house help is getting dificult, I have a busted roof I needed to repair my moms house is a wreck! They fear I will die because I got fat! and prone to respiratiry infections but offcourse I do all the grocery for them I am not letting thrm get exposed they are in their 70s 80s.

Another relative of mine had a bad fall she is like 90 and luckily her kids was able to find vacancy in a Manila hospital.

I can only imagine how worried you are about your folks.

This is bad news for the rest of the world too as they recently stopped the export of the vaccines that they were producing there whilst they addressed their won vaccine effort. Apparantly the disease is now predominantly affecting younger people -those in 20s & 30s with a lot of severe disease and death in that age range. Whilst its not certain that the new variants are driving this, at least one of them is already widely distributed around the world having been detected in at least 20 countries.

It affects the younger more? So like 1918 flu the 2nd wave hit the youngsters harder.

India's epidemiological situation never made much sense TBH. they completely dodged the first waves like the virus was a nothingburger despite cramped conditions, but it could just be an artifact of poor data gathering and testing.

If their new variant out-competed the established ones, then we have to assume it has some sort of evolutionary advantage in that particular environment. Whether that advantage would work in other countries is another story. Afaik people are concerned because it has two amino acid alterations on the spike, but it's not the first and usually these turn out to be nothingburgers, with the vaccines working just as well. The surge could also just happen to be related to loosening of restrictions / behaviour, and nothing to do with the identification of a new variant (of which there are literal thousands).

Back