Increasing worker mobility to reduce homelessness

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
We're seeing this a lot lately. People claiming the majority of homeless are people who just can't find jobs.

Do we have any stats to back this up?

99% of the homeless where I live are alcoholics/drug addicts/mentally ill people who don't want to work.
I forgot the numbers, the presentation I was in happened in the beginning of this year. But I think it was like 60% or 70% are on drugs. Every city is different. You see mostly druggies because you don't see the homeless ones who are hiding in their cars or shelters.

The ones who are homeless due to job usually have other means and try to stay off the streets as much as possible. They're also probably better dressed so they can safely hide in shops and malls. I don't think any city is gonna be 99% drug addicts despite that's what you're seeing.

We're seeing this a lot lately. People claiming the majority of homeless are people who just can't find jobs.

Do we have any stats to back this up?

99% of the homeless where I live are alcoholics/drug addicts/mentally ill people who don't want to work.
Ironic. Do you have any stats to back your claim up or did you just pull that figure out your arse? Don’t bother replying because we already know the answer.

Ironic. Do you have any stats to back your claim up or did you just pull that figure out your arse? Don’t bother replying because we already know the answer.

As someone posted above it's closer to 70%.

Don't bother replying herp a derp.

In theory, couldn't people unable to find housing where they currently are apply for jobs in states/cities where housing is cheaper, thus achieving a buyer and seller equilibrium? What policy changes could facilitate this kind of mobility?
There are 2 limiting factor that I've seen.

First is knowledge. If we're talking about the homeless or other low income workers, we're probably not talking about highly skilled workers. For the low skilled workforce, there are decidedly fewer options available for learning about job openings. So, that's probably the first thing that would need some kind of change - an easier way to learn about low skilled work in other states.

Second is cost of moving. I'm always surprised by the number of people who don't take jobs in other states because they cannot afford the move. It's the cost of getting your stuff organized, packed, etc. Plus the cost of a new place to live, usually a security deposit, first and last month's rent. Then the usual 2-4 weeks before you get your first paycheck from the new job. These costs are bigger burdens the lower down the income ladder you are.

So, that's another policy change. There used to be some work related moving deductions (I don't know if they still exist, haven't looked) but, as with all deductions, you have to spend the money to get the deduction...which isn't very helpful if you don't have the money in the first place.

Some method for people to move for work where they can defray the cost of moving would have to be the next policy change.

Whether it's PC or not, anybody can drive through the hood and see that the city would be better off without many of these buildings and many of these people.

You can make that analysis about most of America, yet people always think of the hood, disregarding that the huge chunks of the midwest, the south, the northwest fall into the same category.

Hell, most of the people in corporate America are superfluous if we wanted to be truly honest about these things.

The “policy changes” would be to have minimal policy.

Why is it so difficult to move? Because you’re a homeowner and the federal government encouraged people to buy homes.

Why is rent so high in some places? Well because of all sorts of land use regulations that restrict what housing can be built and where and other regulations

Housing is one of the most frustrating issues to me because we know the solutions but it’s not politically popular. Creating more public housing, section 8 vouchers, rent control, etc. which all suck are more politically popular

Back