Increasing worker mobility to reduce homelessness

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 159002

In theory, couldn't people unable to find housing where they currently are apply for jobs in states/cities where housing is cheaper, thus achieving a buyer and seller equilibrium? What policy changes could facilitate this kind of mobility?

That's what people are doing in gentrified neighborhoods. The natives can't earn a livable wage anymore so they move out. The problem are the ones who chose to stay then became homeless. Once you're homeless it's harder to get out of it because nobody wants to hire a homeless.

You need money to move to another location and rent the first few months while you're looking for jobs. Also, you might have families and friends in your current location. It's kind of unfair to ask them to move to a new location. You might go East but I might go West. Lives are going to be altered no matter what.

As for homelessness it's people enabling them. There's a reason why so many homeless/panhandlers are coming to CA because of the benefits. There's a reason why the benefits aren't helping them too. They're unorganized. There are like 5 different organizations all doing the same thing. The city pays these org to feed and cloth them or whatever. Because each organization is a separate entity, a lot of times they end up serving the same homeless person twice. Org A gave food to hobo1. Org B didn't know Org A fed him already gave hobo1 more food. Then you have other people waiting in queue starving while hobo1 is being overfed.

To solve the homeless problem, you need a more organized way of serving them. See above.
And 2 leave it to the professionals. Do not give money or food to them. They will become reliant and no incentive to get out of it. After awhile you just get used to it. They're getting so much money that you have real people pretending to be homeless and panhandle on the street. A few admitted to raking in 6 figures all tax free.

It's obvious these guys won't be able to survive in an expensive ass place like CA but why so many come in every year? SF and LA especially. It's because of enabling people. I work with the city and naturally the shelters and homelessness. I see these stats. Every year the city removes about 5k people off the street but another 10k enters. Once they organize all these different organizations it will be a lot more effective.

But the problem is why are they entering homelessness in the first place. Mobility is one solution. The government are sending homeless people elsewhere. There are too many factors and we need to look at them all. But your theory is a small part of the solution to a much bigger problem.

In the meantime, please do not feed or give money to them.

animals.jpg

In theory, couldn't people unable to find housing where they currently are apply for jobs in states/cities where housing is cheaper, thus achieving a buyer and seller equilibrium? What policy changes could facilitate this kind of mobility?

The crazy thing is if you work for the government they already do this, but only for employees at the supervisory level. So you literally have the people being paid the most, who can afford to pay for their own move getting thousands of dollars, while joe schmo taking a job 2,000 miles away to get his foot in the door has to pay his entire way himself.

Are there job fairs for homeless people? If not, it would be cool if there were.

Are there job fairs for homeless people? If not, it would be cool if there were.
There are. There are facilities that help them find housing and jobs. The goal is not just remove them from the streets but keep them off of it once they're out. Job is one of them.

I forgot the numbers but the return rate is low. Once off the street, they tend to stay off.

There are. There are facilities that help them find housing and jobs. The goal is not just remove them from the streets but keep them off of it once they're out. Job is one of them.

I forgot the numbers but the return rate is low. Once off the street, they tend to stay off.

The ones that want it. The problem is the largest number of them don’t want jobs. The are mentally ill and or have substance abuse problems and they don’t want to change.

There is no way we can force them to change.

I remember a few years ago Maryland was offering to pay off up $50k in student loans for individuals that bought a home there and stayed for a certain amount of time.

The ones that want it. The problem is the largest number of them don’t want jobs. The are mentally ill and or have substance abuse problems and they don’t want to change.

There is no way we can force them to change.
Yup that's exactly what I said in the wall of text above.
They fix the mentally ill and drug abusers too.
Most of the homeless people are drug users. But a lot of the people they removed from the streets are the same drug abusers. They don't want to change because they're content. But once they're off they don't want to go back in.

There's also those who chose this life style. They like the freedom and benefits. They too hate the mentally ill druggies. There's a documentary on these folks who chose to be homeless.

Construction is always full of work

Shit when i worked in construction most were alcos/druggies who were one bender away of homelessness

Just make then garbage collectors....Pay them by the pound of garbage they collect.

I think the municipal public works or parks & recreation departments are a good place for the homeless to kick-start their careers.

Clean parks, cut grass, rake leaves, salt roads, erect playgrounds, etc., etc.

While being paid for that work, they can then educate themselves and/or learn skills via trade programs at local technical schools, which are relatively cheap, or community colleges.

I remember a few years ago Maryland was offering to pay off up $50k in student loans for individuals that bought a home there and stayed for a certain amount of time.
Not enough to attract me there. Maryland lol.

Construction is always full of work

Shit when i worked in construction most were alcos/druggies who were one bender away of homelessness
not in my area. Junkies and alcoholics tend to be ditch diggers, carpenters or demolishers. Unskilled labor. Everybody else is clean intelligent middle class.

Not enough to attract me there. Maryland lol.

not in my area. Junkies and alcoholics tend to be ditch diggers, carpenters or demolishers. Unskilled labor. Everybody else is clean intelligent middle class.

To my understanding this thread was about jobs to homeless guys.

Brick carriers,ditch diggers, helpers etc fall into that category.

We actually had homeless guys doing that stuff

Why do you consider carpentry to not require skill?

IMO, there needs to be population decrease initiatives in over crowded cities where they ship some of the people living in less desirable areas to somewhere else. Make that a condition to them receiving government benefits. Then rebuild/gentrify the slums into something decent. The fastest way to create nice city would would be to remove the people that add nothing of value to it.

The fastest way to create nice city would would be to remove the people that add nothing of value to it.
Well, how un-PC of you. One potential problem of going down that road is it becomes increasingly easier to become more granular on what exactly qualifies as "no value" once you've taken that first step. Eventually, you end up with governmental ideologue cliques making that determination based on their philosophies of what engenders value beyond merely being able to contribute to the local economy in some meaningful way.

That's what people are doing in gentrified neighborhoods. The natives can't earn a livable wage anymore so they move out. The problem are the ones who chose to stay then became homeless. Once you're homeless it's harder to get out of it because nobody wants to hire a homeless.

You need money to move to another location and rent the first few months while you're looking for jobs. Also, you might have families and friends in your current location. It's kind of unfair to ask them to move to a new location. You might go East but I might go West. Lives are going to be altered no matter what.

As for homelessness it's people enabling them. There's a reason why so many homeless/panhandlers are coming to CA because of the benefits. There's a reason why the benefits aren't helping them too. They're unorganized. There are like 5 different organizations all doing the same thing. The city pays these org to feed and cloth them or whatever. Because each organization is a separate entity, a lot of times they end up serving the same homeless person twice. Org A gave food to hobo1. Org B didn't know Org A fed him already gave hobo1 more food. Then you have other people waiting in queue starving while hobo1 is being overfed.

To solve the homeless problem, you need a more organized way of serving them. See above.
And 2 leave it to the professionals. Do not give money or food to them. They will become reliant and no incentive to get out of it. After awhile you just get used to it. They're getting so much money that you have real people pretending to be homeless and panhandle on the street. A few admitted to raking in 6 figures all tax free.

It's obvious these guys won't be able to survive in an expensive ass place like CA but why so many come in every year? SF and LA especially. It's because of enabling people. I work with the city and naturally the shelters and homelessness. I see these stats. Every year the city removes about 5k people off the street but another 10k enters. Once they organize all these different organizations it will be a lot more effective.

But the problem is why are they entering homelessness in the first place. Mobility is one solution. The government are sending homeless people elsewhere. There are too many factors and we need to look at them all. But your theory is a small part of the solution to a much bigger problem.

In the meantime, please do not feed or give money to them.

animals.jpg

We're seeing this a lot lately. People claiming the majority of homeless are people who just can't find jobs.

Do we have any stats to back this up?

99% of the homeless where I live are alcoholics/drug addicts/mentally ill people who don't want to work.

Well, how un-PC of you. One potential problem of going down that road is it becomes increasingly easier to become more granular on what exactly qualifies as "no value" once you've taken that first step. Eventually, you end up with governmental ideologue cliques making that determination based on their philosophies of what engenders value beyond merely being able to contribute to the local economy in some meaningful way.
Whether it's PC or not, anybody can drive through the hood and see that the city would be better off without many of these buildings and many of these people.

We're seeing this a lot lately. People claiming the majority of homeless are people who just can't find jobs.

Do we have any stats to back this up?

99% of the homeless where I live are alcoholics/drug addicts/mentally ill people who don't want to work.
That's obviously true, and then they pick where to be homeless based on where it's best deal to be a bum that often facilitate their drug abuse with more shelters and needle exchanges and more traffic for panhandling. There aren't many bums in small towns because there aren't a bunch of drug dealers, fewer people to beg for money from, and they'd likely be arrested.

Back