Increasing flexibility for Americana?

This is like asking for increasing elbow flexibility to resist arm bars.

As Kurt Osiander says, if you find yourself in that position, you fucked up a long time ago.

This is like asking for increasing elbow flexibility to resist arm bars.

As Kurt Osiander says, if you find yourself in that position, you fucked up a long time ago.

People should start reading responses before posting. OP, it would also help if you updated the post the clear up the misunderstanding.

People should start reading responses before posting. OP, it would also help if you updated the post the clear up the misunderstanding.

I read the op. Still, finding yourself in that position, you still fucked up A long time ago. Also, op should title shoulder are inflexible. How do I increase my shoulder flexibility.

I'm not trying to use flexibility to defend against an Americana. I'm trying to prevent an injury from someone who applies an Americana and would reasonably expect at least a few more inches of travel from doing serious damage unintentionally. I assume most people here when applying a submission would first, apply the appropriate grip (Americana, Kimora, rear naked, etc) then, slowly apply pressure until they get the tap. For this particular submission on my shoulder, applying the grip would be akin to normal person's having their elbow dragged down towards their belt and yanked several inches off of the floor.
For example, I was working with someone on attacks from kesa and showed them the Americana lock where you place the opponent's wrist under your calf with his arm bent about 90 degrees then lift your hips. I could not have my wrist placed under his leg, that's how inflexible I am.
I'm a 48 year old tall skinny white boy with long floppy arms like a gibbon. All I want to do is increase shoulder flexibility so I don't get hurt unintentionally. That's it.
Thanks for the suggestions and links. I'll give those a try and see how they do.

Do some shoulder circles or whatever, but lol come on man, your almost 50, stiff joints is part of the territory.

I'm weak I never go for americanas but have a partner apply one on you slowly to stretch it haha.

I'm pretty sure OP mentioned in his post that just having his shoulder in the 90 degree externally rotated position (the start of an americana) already causes him enough discomfort to tap.

This I believe is below the functional range of motion for the shoulder. So flexibility exercises should be used. Those of you who mention that he should be more worried about not being cause in that position are missing the point.

I'm not trying to use flexibility to defend against an Americana. I'm trying to prevent an injury from someone who applies an Americana and would reasonably expect at least a few more inches of travel from doing serious damage unintentionally.
Whatever flexibility you have there is always a point when it breaks. It is not going to be any less painful if you have more flexibility. Your arm may move more, but in the end it is all the same. Tap early.

Back