Increased calories, getting lotsa lotsa GAS!

BimLanders

White Belt
Reaction score
Alright, I'll preface this by explaining the I'm underweight and have been all my life. I'm what they call a "hard-gainer." I've been doing research and it seems that my problem is that I simply do not take in nearly enough calories to get any bulk going on. Well, I've really started to gorge on as many meals a day that I feel hungry for, and I am eating probably around 500 more calories a day than I was before. I'm not counting, but I'm probably getting around 2500-3000 calories a day. And I am weight lifting every other day or every few days depending on recovery times.

The only problem is that I'm FARTING all day long! (This is a problem at work.) This can't be entirely healthy in the long term. Is my body having a hard time adjusting? I'm eating about 95% clean (occasional desserts), lots of protein, fruits and veggies, whole grain pancakes/oats, protein in the form of meat, fish, and dairy, no sups or powders. What am I doing wrong?

i changed my diet a few weeks ago and tried to eat healty.
Healthy meaning lot's of vegetables and quality meat (fish/chicken breast...) for proteins.I tried to eat less then 2000k calories a day cus I was trying to lose some weight.

Well I started to have youre gasing problem:redface:...guess it's from those vegetables... it's really annoying , especially when you train for youre ground game.

I

-Try cooking your veggies
-Experiment to see if you have problems with the grains and dairy in your diet. Remove grains for a few days, see how you feel. Repeat with dairy. A lot of people have problems with one or both, especially at "hargainer bulking quantities."
-Enzyme supplements, like NOW Super Enzymes, are legit. Beano works, too, but is a much more narrow-spectrum thing.

-Try cooking your veggies
-Experiment to see if you have problems with the grains and dairy in your diet. Remove grains for a few days, see how you feel. Repeat with dairy. A lot of people have problems with one or both, especially at "hargainer bulking quantities."
-Enzyme supplements, like NOW Super Enzymes, are legit. Beano works, too, but is a much more narrow-spectrum thing.

Thanks for the tips. I may have to try enzyme sups, or lacto-fermenting veggies again like I did in the past (they are loaded with enzymes.) Eating too fast is probably the reason, but its born of necessity. I have to squeeze "meals" into ten minute breaks at work, otherwise I'm going five hours plus without eating. I cook all veggies, unless it's frickin' lettuce. I've been a regular grain and dairy eater most of my life, so I don't see those as a problem. It's got to be the eating too fast theory. I'll try enzymes. Thanks!

I find that when I have lots of fibre or sugar alchohols I fart like there is no tomorrow. Maybe you are taking in alot of Maltitol and Xylitol etc. etc. which is causing you to fart alot?

I find that when I have lots of fibre or sugar alchohols I fart like there is no tomorrow. Maybe you are taking in alot of Maltitol and Xylitol etc. etc. which is causing you to fart alot?

Everything is making me fart for the last week or so. It doesn't matter what I eat. I have been eating different types on food every day. One day I'll eat yogurt with fruit, hard boiled eggs, canned tuna, rice noodles. Today I drank a milk/peanut butter/banana smoothie, two large whole rye flour pancakes, and I made a bunch of fried potato slices and added cauliflower, ground beef, and cheddar (I ate this twice in two different times of the day). Everything makes me fart. Some days it's pork, the next chicken. I'm trying to eat everything.

Chew your food, seriously go till its a mush in your mouth. Take you time to eat, maybe take a HCL beforehand and broad-spectrum enzymes during. Cut out any fluids during meals and 1hr after (except half a cup of green tea or so).

Everything is making me fart for the last week or so. It doesn't matter what I eat. I have been eating different types on food every day. One day I'll eat yogurt with fruit, hard boiled eggs, canned tuna, rice noodles. Today I drank a milk/peanut butter/banana smoothie, two large whole rye flour pancakes, and I made a bunch of fried potato slices and added cauliflower, ground beef, and cheddar (I ate this twice in two different times of the day). Everything makes me fart. Some days it's pork, the next chicken. I'm trying to eat everything.

You don't know that because you haven't done a controlled experiment yet. I would highly recommend you try removing grains/dairy/legumes for a few days. If your gas problem subsides, then you know you have a problem with at least one of the above food groups. Once you know that, you can go about isolating which one(s).

It could be the dairy in your diet depending on hoe sensitive you are to lactose. Also, it might be the fruit. Fiber is one of the best things you could use when you start taking in more calories

I've been beginning the day with a banana and a glass of raw milk. I guess I'll see if that triggers anything and I'll go from there. I never drink pasteurized milk anymore, and the only other dairy I have is yogurt and cheese, both lacto-fermented products. I've honestly never had a problem with this stuff.

I don't think it's grains either. It's some other factor. There are stretches of the year where I'll have a bowl of oatmeal with fruit nearly every day for several months at a time and it causes zero gas. Then other times in the year, one bowl will trigger really bad gas. It's almost as if it depends on the weather and whether or not I'm having allergies from tree pollen counts or whatever.

P.S. Feel nice and sore today! :)

Back