incorruptible saints!! Relics,Foreskins etc what do you think?

ShinkanPo

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
What's your take about some religions mainly the Catholic Church displaying some corpse inside their churches?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incorruptibility
The devout believes they are the manifestation of God's miracle and many also believe that these relics have healing and other miraculous abilities.

St. Catherine of Siena.
saint-catherine-head.jpg

Paula-Fassinetti-1.jpg

Virginia_Centurione_body.jpg

St.Catherine of Bologna.
tumblr_lkwd4kCS1U1qifapbo1_1280.jpg

The Holy Foreskin of Jesus.
Some Catholics use to venerate the Foreskin of Jesus.

he Holy Prepuce, or Holy Foreskin (Latin præputium or prepucium) is one of several relics attributed to Jesus, a product of the circumcision of Jesus.

At various points in history, a number of churches in Europe have claimed to possess Jesus' foreskin, sometimes at the same time. Various miraculous powers have been ascribed to it.

St.Catherine of Siena believed that Jesus apeared to her and gave her a ring made of Jesus's foreskin.

"Mystical Marriage" with Jesus,[13] later a popular subject in art as the Mystic marriage of Saint Catherine. Caroline Walker Bynum, one of the most prominent medieval historians of her generation, explains one surprising and controversial aspect of this marriage that occurs both in artistic representations of the event and in some early accounts of her life: "Underlining the extent to which the marriage was a fusion with Christ's physicality [...] Catherine received, not the ring of gold and jewels that her biographer reports in his bowdlerized version, but the ring of Christ's foreskin."[14][15] Catherine herself mentions the foreskin-as-wedding ring motif in one of her letters (#221), equating the wedding ring of a virgin with a foreskin;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Prepuce

I find it odd and fascinating.

Posthumous indignity.

Not for it.

par for the corpse...

Transubstantiation - is, according to the teaching of the Catholic Church, the change by which the bread and the wine used in the sacrament of the Eucharist become, not merely as a sign or a figure, but also in actual reality the body and blood of Jesus Christ.

cannibalism and displaying corpses and zombie savior...

Posthumous indignity.

Not for it.

Its is common practice back in the day to exhume the body of a religious person when they are about to be beatified its the first step to saint hood so they have to dig them up and see if they did not rot to the bone.

Its like they are curious

"Hey father Josepus, Cardinal Perpious has been buried for 12 years lets dig him up and see if he is already rotten"

par for the corpse...

Transubstantiation - is, according to the teaching of the Catholic Church, the change by which the bread and the wine used in the sacrament of the Eucharist become, not merely as a sign or a figure, but also in actual reality the body and blood of Jesus Christ.

cannibalism and displaying corpses and zombie savior...

Some Catholics use to venerate the Foreskin of Jesus.

he Holy Prepuce, or Holy Foreskin (Latin præputium or prepucium) is one of several relics attributed to Jesus, a product of the circumcision of Jesus.

At various points in history, a number of churches in Europe have claimed to possess Jesus' foreskin, sometimes at the same time. Various miraculous powers have been ascribed to it.

St.Catherine of Siena believed that Jesus apeared to her and gave her a ring made of Jesus's foreskin.

"Mystical Marriage" with Jesus,[13] later a popular subject in art as the Mystic marriage of Saint Catherine. Caroline Walker Bynum, one of the most prominent medieval historians of her generation, explains one surprising and controversial aspect of this marriage that occurs both in artistic representations of the event and in some early accounts of her life: "Underlining the extent to which the marriage was a fusion with Christ's physicality [...] Catherine received, not the ring of gold and jewels that her biographer reports in his bowdlerized version, but the ring of Christ's foreskin."[14][15] Catherine herself mentions the foreskin-as-wedding ring motif in one of her letters (#221), equating the wedding ring of a virgin with a foreskin;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Prepuce

Idol worship of the most ghoulish sort.

I'm not too sure about incorruptible saints. One does have to wonder why these peeps haven't gone ahead and rotted away though.

Catholicism has always fascinated me. There have been a couple of times, before I traded faith for agnosticism, that I was close to becoming Catholic. I still think about it a lot.

I'm not too sure about incorruptible saints. One does have to wonder why these peeps haven't gone ahead and rotted away though.

Catholicism has always fascinated me. There have been a couple of times, before I traded faith for agnosticism, that I was close to becoming Catholic. I still think about it a lot.

I was raised a Catholic studied 10 years in a Catholic school in a predominantly Catholic country then I became an Atheist for some reason and then I started talking to other Christian sects and they have mentioned that they think the Catholics veneration of the dead is weird that is when it hit me that my former religion is strange to outsiders I just got used to it but overall its still a strange religion.

Most Catholics will be offended if I tell them that other people find the veneration of Saints and corpses weird. For them its not just completely normal but its considered important that the body of the Saints be displayed and distributed.

As someone who was raised in a "Catholic" country, I'd have to agree it's fucking nuts. But then again, I look at somewhere like America with things like speaking in tongues, creationism, snake handlers, the rapture and realise they're all clearly mental too !

I was raised a Catholic studied 10 years in a Catholic school in a predominantly Catholic country then I became an Atheist for some reason and then I started talking to other Christian sects and they have mentioned that they think the Catholics veneration of the dead is weird that is when it hit me that my former religion is strange to outsiders I just got used to it but overall its still a strange religion.

Most Catholics will be offended if I tell them that other people find the veneration of Saints and corpses weird. For them its not just completely normal but its considered important that the body of the Saints be displayed and distributed.

Were you raised Novus Ordo Catholic, or actual Catholic? Out of interest...

If i had the Holy Prepuce I could disperse any demon! But I think I got one of the fakes that were floating around, demons everywhere....

I think it's telling that them displaying bits of corpses all over is one of the least creepy things about the church.

I've visited the relics of St Therese of Lisieux, among others, and our parish currently has the large reliquaries out for the month of November as usual. It's never been something I've considered creepy; but then again that's probably due to having a greater depth and breadth of context, scope and perspective.
By which I mean, often an outsider will perceive any given group's customs as being weird and strange, and use this as a means of mocking and discrediting them (such as most are doing ITT) but when one understands what they are actually doing, and why, it doesn't seem so strange and frightening or incur such levels of xenophobia.

The cult of the saints is totally bonkers.

I think many Catholics don't even stop to ponder how weird it is. Like they think Jesus himself was praying to saints and such, playing around with bones. "Oh, let me worship this mummy hand, for I am Jesus." "Oh, shall I pray to saint Abraham today?"

Like, you are praying to a dead human being. Wtf is with this necromancy?

maxresdefault.jpg

The cult of the saints is totally bonkers.

I think many Catholics don't even stop to ponder how weird it is. Like they think Jesus himself was praying to saints and such, playing around with bones. "Oh, let me worship this mummy hand, for I am Jesus." "Oh, shall I pray to saint Abraham today?"

Like, you are praying to a dead human being. Wtf is with this necromancy?

maxresdefault.jpg

You're not praying to them; you ask for their intercessory prayers. Latria vs dulia bro. 101 stuff.

Here's St Augustine on the issue:

f a father's coat or ring, or anything else of that kind, is so much more cherished by his children, as love for one's parents is greater, in no way are the bodies themselves to be despised, which are much more intimately and closely united to us than any garment; for they belong to man's very nature,
- from Civitas Dei

And St Jerome:
We do not adore, I will not say the relics of the martyrs, but either the sun or the moon or even the angels -- that is to say, with the worship of "latria"...But we honor the martyrs' relics, so that thereby we give honor to Him Whose [witness] they are: we honor the servants, that the honor shown to them may reflect on their Master... Consequently, by honoring the martyrs' relics we do not fall into the error of the Gentiles, who gave the worship of "latria" to dead men.
from Ad Riparium

And from St John Damascene:
These [the bodies of the Saints] are made treasuries and pure habitations of God: For I will dwell in them, said God, and walk in them, and I will be their God. The divine Scripture likewise saith that the souls of the just are in God's hand and death cannot lay hold of them. For death is rather the sleep of the saints than their death. For they travailed in this life and shall to the end, and Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints. What then, is more precious than to be in the hand of God? For God is Life and Light, and those who are in God's hand are in life and light.

Further, that God dwelt even in their bodies in spiritual wise, the Apostle tells us, saying, Know ye not that your bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit dwelling in you?, and The Lord is that Spirit, and If any one destroy the temple of God, him will God destroy. Surely, then, we must ascribe honour to the living temples of God, the living tabernacles of God. These while they lived stood with confidence before God.

The Master Christ made the remains of the saints to be fountains of salvation to us, pouring forth manifold blessings and abounding in oil of sweet fragrance: and let no one disbelieve this. For if water burst in the desert from the steep and solid rock at God's will and from the jaw-bone of an ass to quench Samson's thirst, is it incredible that fragrant oil [see below] should burst forth from the martyrs' remains? By no means, at least to those who know the power of God and the honour which He accords His saints.

In the law every one who toucheth a dead body was considered impure, but these are not dead. For from the time when He that is Himself life and the Author of life was reckoned among the dead, we do not call those dead who have fallen asleep in the hope of the resurrection and in faith on Him. For how could a dead body work miracles? How, therefore, are demons driven off by them, diseases dispelled, sick persons made well, the blind restored to sight, lepers purified, temptations and troubles overcome, and how does every good gift from the Father of lights come down through them to those who pray with sure faith?

The Master Christ made the remains of the saints to be fountains of salvation to us, pouring forth manifold blessings and abounding in oil of sweet fragrance: and let no one disbelieve this. For if water burst in the desert from the steep and solid rock at God's will and from the jaw-bone of an ass to quench Samson's thirst, is it incredible that fragrant oil [see below] should burst forth from the martyrs' remains? By no means, at least to those who know the power of God and the honour which He accords His saints.

In the law every one who toucheth a dead body was considered impure, but these are not dead. For from the time when He that is Himself life and the Author of life was reckoned among the dead, we do not call those dead who have fallen asleep in the hope of the resurrection and in faith on Him. For how could a dead body work miracles? How, therefore, are demons driven off by them, diseases dispelled, sick persons made well, the blind restored to sight, lepers purified, temptations and troubles overcome, and how does every good gift from the Father of lights come down through them to those who pray with sure faith?

Yeah, okay, so you convinced me this isn't bizarre necromancy then.

Btw, of COURSE you pray to them, my kid's in Catholic school and they pray to saints all the time. It's downright hilarious. Technically the saints who hear your prayer are then supposed to intercede with God on your behalf, but you are certainly praying to them, and if you didn't know that, then back to Catholicism 101 with you, so you can learn what your religion actually consists of:

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/praying-to-the-saints

Btw, of COURSE you pray to them, my kid's in Catholic school and they pray to saints all the time. It's downright hilarious. Technically the saints who hear your prayer are then supposed to intercede with God on your behalf, but you are certainly praying to them, and if you didn't know that, then back to Catholicism 101 with you, so you can learn what your religion actually consists of:

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/praying-to-the-saints

I know exactly what my religion actually consists of. If your child's school teachers are unaware of the difference between latria and dulia that's on them, not me. Everything I say regarding the Faith is accurate and comes from or is paraphrased from the Catechism of the Council of Trent, or the Baltimore Catechism.

What's the bet your kid's school doesn't know the difference between "pro multis" and "pro omnibus" either...

Back