incorporating sandbag work into a routine

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by seamus1979, Apr 13, 2008.

1. seamus1979

seamus1979 Green Belt

ok im currently following the texas method routine of weights 3 times a week
    the other 3 nights im doing freestyle wrestling
    im looking to get sandbag work back into my routine but unfortunately i have checked with my gym and they have told me i cant bring one in and use it in the weights room
    so im trying to think of adding it in somewhere else
    perhaps on my recovery weights night?
    will it fuck up my routine if i drop a recovery session and put in a sandbag conditioning night?
    im thinking of just getting a 60lb sandbag and a 3/4 filled keg and doing some conditioning work in my local park
    or would it be more worth my while just throwing some sandbag work into my wrestling nights? the coach is really into powerlifting and would be game to try most challenges

so how do you incorporate sandbag work into your current weights and martial arts routines?

2. seamus1979

seamus1979 Green Belt

3. seamus1979

seamus1979 Green Belt

anyone?

4. Philosophighter

Philosophighter Orange Belt

Im with you man. I just bought (4) 50lbs bags with a large canvas bag to put them in, but Im still searching for ideas on good exercises. Im waiting to save a few $ so I can get Never Gymless, but I need some ideas as well.

5. Merrill

Merrill Purple Belt

I would do it after the friday session. Doing it on one of your recovery days would be bad IMO. You will need those recovery days. Doing after the Friday session will give you 2 days to recover. The Friday session is low volume so you should not be worn out.