Incorporating 1 rep work...

DevilMMA

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Bit of advice appreciated...

Im doing a 4 day upper/lower split varying between strength work (3-5 reps) and hypertrophy (8-10).

A sample 2 days worth...

UPPER (Strength)

Flat Bench - 5 x 3
Wide grip pull ups - 5 x 3
Behind neck Push Press - 3 x 3

LOWER (Hyp)

Back Squat - 5 x 8

Im looking to throw in some 1 rep stuff on my strength workouts..... what would be the best way? For example would a set/rep layout for bench of 3,3,3,3,1 be any kop? Or should I create days dedicated to 1 rep work? Also for how many exercises per week should 1 rep work (albeit on only a few sets) be attempted?

Bit of advice appreciated...

Im doing a 4 day upper/lower split varying between strength work (3-5 reps) and hypertrophy (8-10).

A sample 2 days worth...

UPPER (Strength)

Flat Bench - 5 x 3
Wide grip pull ups - 5 x 3
Behind neck Push Press - 3 x 3

LOWER (Hyp)

Back Squat - 5 x 8

Im looking to throw in some 1 rep stuff on my strength workouts..... what would be the best way? For example would a set/rep layout for bench of 3,3,3,3,1 be any kop? Or should I create days dedicated to 1 rep work? Also for how many exercises per week should 1 rep work (albeit on only a few sets) be attempted?

Have a day just for singles if that's really what you want to do. You aren't going to hit many PR's after your work sets.

Also, why are you switching back and forth between hypertrophy and strength?

Obviously, I can only speak for myself. But I found that when I did a lot of Singles I made mad gains for the first 2 - 3 weeks. Then I crashed and burned.

Since I've avoided singles and train 3 X 5 on the Big Three etc. However, it's probably because I was using Singles incorrectly. No doubt an Intermediate/Advanced lifter could use Single Rep training efficiently. IIRC, the Doug Hepburn Method is based on Singles.

DevilMMA: How come you're using your own program instead of one of the standard tried-and-true programs? I understand there's scenarios where you would want to customize so I'm just curious whether this is the case or not.

Have a day just for singles if that's really what you want to do. You aren't going to hit many PR's after your work sets.

Also, why are you switching back and forth between hypertrophy and strength?

Why not?

My goals are strength/size and variety keeps the body on its toes.

DevilMMA: How come you're using your own program instead of one of the standard tried-and-true programs? I understand there's scenarios where you would want to customize so I'm just curious whether this is the case or not.

It comes from knowing my body over the years and how it reacts to training.

My body responds excellently to strength work but it does have a very fine line when it comes to recovery...... just that bit too much volume and it everything comes crashing down to earth!

I used to do more bodybuilding type, bodypart training but really didnt enjoy it. The 4 day upper/lower seems to suit me an my lifestyle/job quite well.

Why not?

Because hypertrophy equals Bodybuilding. And Bodybuilders are the Dark Side of the Force as far as Sherdoggers are concerned.

In reality, while many bodybuilders are all show and no go, the elite level like Ronnie Colman are ridiculously strong; go to TouTube and watch his 12 rep Dumbbell Bench Press with 200lb DB's. :eek: Something I venture to suggest that 90% of Sherdoggers could'nt do.

Of course, Colman is Juiced up to his eyeballs. But if anyone here believes the top Powerlifters are "natural", I know some Nigerian bank managers who would love to get in touch with you.:icon_lol:

There's 0 sherdoggers who can do 200 dbs for 12 reps for bench although its tough to compare to a juiced up almost 330-350 offseason guy.

Bro I suggest expanding your training cycle to 10-14 days and see how your recovery fairs. The biggest drain on recovery is DL.

Try one of the suggested 1 rep programs like hepburn or others. I have been doing something akin to what you are trying to do and its been hit and miss.

I've figured out that the programming that works best for me is a day of volume or a high rep top set and another day for heavy singles. IMO, you are trying to do too much. You are basically wanting to work all rep ranges. I do like I said above and do high rep for my assistance lifts. I would think that would be fine for hypertrophy.

Why not?

Is this something to do with "muscle confusion"?

In my opinion, progression in your big lifts (squat, dead, press, bench, etc.) is much more important than variety and "keeping the body on its toes". Focus on putting more weight on the bar or doing more reps every time you lift.

Also, if you have specific hypertrophy goals, I believe most people will tell you to do hypertrophy and strength in separate several-month-long blocks.

Is this something to do with "muscle confusion"?

In my opinion, progression in your big lifts (squat, dead, press, bench, etc.) is much more important than variety and "keeping the body on its toes". Focus on putting more weight on the bar or doing more reps every time you lift.

Also, if you have specific hypertrophy goals, I believe most people will tell you to do hypertrophy and strength in separate several-month-long blocks.

Really? Because W4SB works Strength and Hypertrophy in the same week. Day One is Max Effort Upper Body. Day Two is Max Effort Lower Body and Day Three is Max Rep Upper Body. I believe this is known as Conjugate Training(prob. spelled it worng:redface:)

Really? Because W4SB works Strength and Hypertrophy in the same week. Day One is Max Effort Upper Body. Day Two is Max Effort Lower Body and Day Three is Max Rep Upper Body. I believe this is known as Conjugate Training(prob. spelled it worng:redface:)

True.

I still don't think you need to worry about "keeping your body on its toes", though.

Because hypertrophy equals Bodybuilding. And Bodybuilders are the Dark Side of the Force as far as Sherdoggers are concerned.

In reality, while many bodybuilders are all show and no go, the elite level like Ronnie Colman are ridiculously strong; go to TouTube and watch his 12 rep Dumbbell Bench Press with 200lb DB's. :eek: Something I venture to suggest that 90% of Sherdoggers could'nt do.

Of course, Colman is Juiced up to his eyeballs. But if anyone here believes the top Powerlifters are "natural", I know some Nigerian bank managers who would love to get in touch with you.:icon_lol:

Don't really care about any numbers that juicers put up - powerlifters or bodybuilders. They can keep their small balls.

Don't really care about any numbers that juicers put up - powerlifters or bodybuilders. They can keep their small balls.

Big mistake, just think how much bigger your wang will look in comparison. It's next best thing to dating a chick with tiny hands.

Back