Incompetent judges brought down the UFC's greatest fighter ever

Link to article https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/08/ufc-227-results-demetrious-johnson-henry-cejudo-judges-stats

Says judges at fault mm out striked and out poined and threw more than his oppenant but judges though lay n pray is the most skilled technique . i didnt watch this fight dont want to bbut why arent fighters saying anything about the point system everybody knows its messed up yet nobody does anything or cares.

MMA has suffered long enough from terrible judges that come from Boxing world and have no clue what they are watching when it comes to ground game in MMA.
So they always award takedowns like it is an amazing advantage without the understanding that being on top is meaningless if you don't do anything with it.

But alas, might mouse should have been aware of it, anot lot let this be on the hands of the judges. It sucks, but this is nothing new in our sport.

You guys are all missing an important point

MMA is round based. And you get stood up for each start of a round.

So takedowns would be more effective in a more realistic fight. And that's why they are scored higher than seems right...

I don't disagree. But it's also possible the scoring could have affected MM's striking in less visible ways. It's possible that, since this time Cejudo showed more capability to get MM down to the ground and keep the fight there, MM was more hesitant to throw head and body shots because that combined with leg kicks could have opened him up for even more takedowns. The threat of losing position affects everything; it will also affect your ability to function in the standup since a wrong move could lead to you being brought to the mat and losing on scorecards regardless of what happens after.
Bingo. That's why MM did what he did. He kept the kicks low and didn't go high to the head either with his legs or fists. Afraid of takedowns.

People have a weird obsession with trying to downplay takedowns. You cannot just pretend they never happened and score the round without them.

Takedowns should be their own reward.

It should allow you to GNP or attack for subs. Slams of course should be worth something.

Does pushing someone against the cage score points?

Bingo. That's why MM did what he did. He kept the kicks low and didn't go high to the head either with his legs or fists. Afraid of takedowns.
It seems rather hard for a lot of fans and critics to grasp that when you have the fear of being taken down and getting stuck in the bottom position, and you know it means the judges think you're losing the fight no matter how much more active you are from the bottom, it severely impacts how good of a boxer or kickboxer you can be. It seems to not have sunk in on some level that, especially with this scoring/judging criteria, you can't simply separate positional grappling from the boxing/kickboxing aspect. They're intertwined and each greatly affects the other.

It seems to me at least that currently, if you're in bottom position, even if the top guy is in your closed guard and is borderline stalling, at least some judges have it in their head that you're losing the fight. That can pose serious issues for the great boxers/Muay Thai guys and Jiu Jitsu aces.

No he was saying that takedowns we dont count in mma are takedowns in wrestling and should count.

Worse imo is TDs that don't count in BJJ are a scored.

If you cannot maintain your TD for even 3 seconds you did nothing. PetfePe example was Cruz TJ, Cruz's TDs were useless.

Greatest fighter ever is a strong term for the king of the division created from people who lost to Cruz.

UFC's greatest fighter ever ...no, greatest manlet maybe

Mighty Mouse didn't dominate this fight in any regard. Why comment on a fight you didn't watch?

If that fight had happened in Pride, Henry would have got a yellow card for stalling. It's one thing to take your opponent down, but just holding them there and laying on them, without doing any damage, should not be scored higher then the fighter who was landing more on the feet.

Incompetent wrestling brought down the UFC greatest low-weight fighter ever.

The fight was super close. Had mm got the nod people would bitch about that also.

Reading, how do it work?

magnets_c.jpg

You are both INSANE & a CLOWN

But what if its just a little GnP that is not that effective. Isn't that just as valuable as landing a few ineffective strikes standing?
How ineffective would the GnP be though? If we are talking little rabbit shots then I would say no but at that point you either have to be very tired to just pull off rabbit punches are you are intentionally not trying to hurt your opponent. An ineffective standing strike could be subjective. Many times we've seen fighters eat a hard shot like it is nothing. IMO it all comes down to how one judges a fight which will always be a debate concerning MMA.

Greatest fighter ever?

Nah
Greatest 125lb fighter? Fa sho

Lol@GOAT fight. This was a decent fight at best overhyped by the most hyperbolic commentary in UFC history. Joe and DC should not be allowed to commentate together. They are so full of shit and Anik doesn’t have the stripes to call them out like Cruzand Hardy would.

DC made a comment about the takedown scoring which, if I can be pedantic, he was a bit off on. He argued that, in wrestling, many of Henry's attempts would have been counted as takedowns. Unfortunately, in wrestling, one must show that they have control after the takedown and IMO(reffed and coached a bit in college for high school) I would have to disagree with DC.
Not as if Henry wasn't getting takedowns or forcing scrambles, but just because he and MM went to the mat doesn't mean he would have gotten the TD in wrestling. MM scrambled and Granby'd out of many.
I think DC was just excited for Henry.

Apples to oranges. I believe that you are talking about the same kind of wrestling that I did (Folk Style) HS/NCAA.
If so, that is correct. D.C. specifically stated in Olympic wrestling. Folkstyle wrestling does not exist in Olympic or World championships.
In Olympic freestyle wrestling, they are indeed scored as TD's. They also score riding time!
In Greco Roman Olympic wrestling, it is even worse. At least one of those "non scored" takedown would have resulted in a pin win for Henry over DJ.

Back