Incompetent judges brought down the UFC's greatest fighter ever

People have a weird obsession with trying to downplay takedowns. You cannot just pretend they never happened and score the round without them.
So if a guy gets his ass kicked for a good portion of the round and then gets a takedown does that mean the round is scored in his favor or he gets a draw? By that logic you must've though Nik Lentz beat Tyson Griffin and Leonard Garcia beat Nam Phan.

It is important to note that the article never says or even implies that the UFC or any commission is changing anything. It is an opinion piece that says essentially that the takedowns shouldn't have been enough to steal the round, and I agree.

I'm not sure it's all about his TD's.

I mean, while DJ obviously landed more it was probably like 50% leg kicks.

Cejudo landed harder shots to the head and body IMO, and that's probably why he won the round with his TD's.

You explained it in three lines.

10/10 Post

Meh, MM maybe landed more but no damage was given in that fight. From either side. Only scoring points.

People have a weird obsession with trying to downplay takedowns. You cannot just pretend they never happened and score the round without them.
That´s why you love so much No Rush [IIRC]... right?

#LNP

i believe the latest rules valued damage over non power shots, but did not address how valued takedowns are.

i don't think DJ hurt Cejudo much in rounds 2,4,5.

but he did get taken down and held down. certainly didn't each much damage down there.

yes it's annoying, but i found the decision consistent. frustratingly, top control has value in MMA (in North America).

No he was saying that takedowns we dont count in mma are takedowns in wrestling and should count.
What he was specifically talking about doesn't matter, how open to interpretation it is could also carry over to striking.

For example what a significant strike is is based on someone's opinion but stats are supposed to black and white.

Didnt mm have a broken bone and torn knee ligament? Seems to outweigh cejudos rolled ankle if we're going the "damage" route

Then we should talk about what a TD actually achieves.

If it is not a slam it basically just moves the fight to the mat but by choice of one fighter. That should be rewarded. But when you think about it an escape back to the feet has the same result. It changes the position and moves the fight back to the feet by one fighters choice.

If a TD results in nothing but the fight playing out on the mat for a while with no damage and no advances from the top position fighter then imo it would be reasonable to count a sweep or an escape back to the feet with the same value.

If a fighters control is not enough to achieve any damage then it is basically just holding on to your opponent which in my mind should not result in any points at all.

Of course fights are not being judged that way right now. But imo they should be.

Link to article https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/08/ufc-227-results-demetrious-johnson-henry-cejudo-judges-stats

Says judges at fault mm out striked and out poined and threw more than his oppenant but judges though lay n pray is the most skilled technique . i didnt watch this fight dont want to bbut why arent fighters saying anything about the point system everybody knows its messed up yet nobody does anything or cares.
Time out. Not only did you not read the article (because your thread title says something that was never even hinted at in the article) but you didn't even watch the fight you made a thread about? Man, get out.

Why would they change it now when it was lay and pray was abused by so many others already?
1. GSP
2. Fitch
3. Phil Davis
4. Askren (not UFC)

Looking up stats to determine who won needs to stop

DC even pointed out how inaccurate the fight stats were during the fight.

lol. "I didn't watch the fight, but I know I'm right, and things need to change."

MM pulled a Condit in there. Nobody should be crying for someone who circled and threw baby leg kicks with their back to the cage for 25 minutes, lost every grappling scramble, and lost the championship rounds. Including the last minute of the fight, where everything was up for grabs.

313q1jl.jpg

The guy who wrote that article sounds like he's probably one of Mighty Mouse's Twitch groupies.
Posting BJ Penn in response to a close decision isn't the best idea considering his reaction to close decision losses

Obviously not exact 100% of the time, but as a general rule of thumb you can use the below to score fights in MMA:

If the fight was on the feet for 3 minutes and on the ground for 2, the person who won the standup probably won the round.
If the fight was on the ground for 3 minutes and the feet for 2, the person who won the ground probably won the round.

Well that didn't happen in rounds 2 or 4 here. On top for the last minute of round 2 and 2 minutes of round 4. Round 4 I understand scoring for Cejudo but 2 is ridiculous imo. He was getting chewed up for 4 minutes gets a td he does nothing with for 1 minute and everyone gives him the round because they aren't used to seeing MM lose any positions.

Link to article https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/08/ufc-227-results-demetrious-johnson-henry-cejudo-judges-stats

Says judges at fault mm out striked and out poined and threw more than his oppenant but judges though lay n pray is the most skilled technique . i didnt watch this fight dont want to bbut why arent fighters saying anything about the point system everybody knows its messed up yet nobody does anything or cares.

Do you speak ze Anglischen?

What a fucking horrible mess of a post and on Sherdog, that’s something.

If judges fudge decisions why should I trust strike data? For all I know they could be counting blows that did not even land. Take downs in the UFC have always been key to secure round wins, MM knows that, everyone knows that. GSP made a living of those

Round by round, I had it 2-2 going into the 5th, just like the judges, commentators, and Dana White. DJ didn't dish out enough damage in the rounds he lost to overcome the takedowns and accrued time on his back. That being said, had DJ won the split decision, I wouldn't have called robbery. DJ was only let up from some of those takedowns because the rounds ended. If there weren't rounds, Cejudo probably would have controlled him from top position until a submission or TKO developed.

Looking up stats to determine who won needs to stop

DC even pointed out how inaccurate the fight stats were during the fight.
DC made a comment about the takedown scoring which, if I can be pedantic, he was a bit off on. He argued that, in wrestling, many of Henry's attempts would have been counted as takedowns. Unfortunately, in wrestling, one must show that they have control after the takedown and IMO(reffed and coached a bit in college for high school) I would have to disagree with DC.
Not as if Henry wasn't getting takedowns or forcing scrambles, but just because he and MM went to the mat doesn't mean he would have gotten the TD in wrestling. MM scrambled and Granby'd out of many.
I think DC was just excited for Henry.

The rounds Mouse won, he won dominantly.
The rounds Cejudo won were more debatable, but they were clear.
There was no 10-8's in there, so it is definitely 2,4,5 Cejudo.
Fold 25 into 35.

Back