Incline Bench Press

Here is the thing. Most decent routines include bench press AND either push press or military press. A flat press and a vertical press do good job of covering the pec. The Pectoralis Major fibers can originate from the clavicle, the manubrium, the sternum, the costal cartilages of ribs 2-6, sometimes even the sheath of the upper abdominal wall. In some people, a flat press activates all these fibers pretty well. In some people, myself included, getting a big bench press just doesnt seem to affect the fibers that originate on the Manubrium (which is really just the upper part of the sternum) or the medial part of the clavicle. Luckily, these fibers seem to be activated fairly well by either a military press or a push press.

Another exercise that can, and in many instances should, be thrown in for complete chest development, is the dip. Unfortunately, these aggravate the hell out of a lot of peoples shoulders... mine included. Most routines on the internet, the ones I have put up at least, are designed for an "average" guy or girl. You dont put an exercise in such a routine that hurts a fairly large percentage of people. But, if as an individual, you can do dips, please include them.

There is nothing wrong with the incline press. There is nothing inherently wrong with pressing a barbell or dumbell with your body at any particular angle. Its just that flat and vertical cover about everything. But if you want to incline press, incline press! If you can do the dip without pain, by all means, do it! The dip is probably the single most complete chest exercise there is, its too bad that it aggravates so many peoples shoulders.

Here is the thing. Most decent routines include bench press AND either push press or military press. A flat press and a vertical press do good job of covering the pec. The Pectoralis Major fibers can originate from the clavicle, the manubrium, the sternum, the costal cartilages of ribs 2-6, sometimes even the sheath of the upper abdominal wall. In some people, a flat press activates all these fibers pretty well. In some people, myself included, getting a big bench press just doesnt seem to affect the fibers that originate on the Manubrium (which is really just the upper part of the sternum) or the medial part of the clavicle. Luckily, these fibers seem to be activated fairly well by either a military press or a push press.

Another exercise that can, and in many instances should, be thrown in for complete chest development, is the dip. Unfortunately, these aggravate the hell out of a lot of peoples shoulders... mine included. Most routines on the internet, the ones I have put up at least, are designed for an "average" guy or girl. You dont put an exercise in such a routine that hurts a fairly large percentage of people. But, if as an individual, you can do dips, please include them.

There is nothing wrong with the incline press. There is nothing inherently wrong with pressing a barbell or dumbell with your body at any particular angle. Its just that flat and vertical cover about everything. But if you want to incline press, incline press! If you can do the dip without pain, by all means, do it! The dip is probably the single most complete chest exercise there is, its too bad that it aggravates so many peoples shoulders.

Hell yes Glenn posts here now? Awesome.

Think he summed it up nicely.

I know that if I can push up my incline I will also push up my flat bench. Same is true with close grips, boards, floor presses -- whatever. It's just a good overall pressing variation. There are some mechanical differences between an incline and a flat bench -- more range of motion, more shoulder dominant, etc.

Yup. I heard curls are good for building chinups. Gunzors baby.

Double standards in this thread.

What the hell are you talking about?

"For the upper body we believed that the incline-bench press was a better exercise for athletes than the flat-bench press because it put more emphasis on the shoulders. We also knew, however, that the coaches didn't have incline benches at their disposal. Some didn't even have flat benches. One coach told us he had his players do their bench presses on the benches in the locker room. So we chose the flat-bench press'easy to teach, and it did work all the groups in the upper body thoroughly."

- Bill Starr.

Dude stop talking and read the fucking articles. Dont ask questions if you wont provide any credible argument based on literature etc or wont actual read the responses

Your upper pecs are not going to hold back your strength gains for many many years if EVER. And as a beginner you dont need to worry about this. The bench will deliver a virtually identical EMG response in your upper pecs (read the article) versus lower while simultanously working more muscle groups and is a much more effecient compound lift. Upper pec development is important for BODYBUILDERS or for people who want to look good at the beach, there is no strength lost by not doign incline...only looks. If you feel like you are leveling out (again not going to happen until you have lifted longer) than do the support exercises for whichever part of your bench your failing at aka gwetting it off your chest or locking it out on the top.

done.
i did read so stop getting bitchy. ur sayin that incline will make the upper pecs look better than flat bench will, but it will not make ur upper pecs stronger than flat bench will. how does that make sense? tht means ur tryna say tht doing flat bench will give ur upper pecs the same strength as incline but somehow manage to not achieve any aesthetic results. surely if u work a muscle it will grow (providing diet etc is fine)?

thanks great post. i thought that OHP would work those areas.

its a wonder anyone gets any answers they are looking for off of this forum with all the know it all's arguing.

incline press is a good assistance exercise. I don't always do it but add it to my routine every week or so

Back