Incline Bench Press

Big H

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In the interest of addressing weak points and being strong all-round why do so many routines here not include incline bench press?

Is it actually necessary to do incline to build the upper pecs or would flat bench press and OHP be sufficient?

For the record I dont do incline bench cos as a weak one I dont want to deviate from the FAQ routines e.g. 5x5, just curious.

In the interest of addressing weak points and being strong all-round why do so many routines here not include incline bench press?

Is it actually necessary to do incline to build the upper pecs or would flat bench press and OHP be sufficient?

For the record I dont do incline bench cos as a weak one I dont want to deviate from the FAQ routines e.g. 5x5, just curious.

Stick to regular benching dude, It's a compound lift, and it's effective.

I agree with the advice about sticking with bench but am also curious as to exactly how much muscles/muscle groups are left out in the decline/incline bench vesus traditional. TS's question wasnt which is more effective but WHY. So I am going to try and research it someone see if they can beat me with the answer. Maybe someone who knows something lol

I agree with the advice about sticking with bench but am also curious as to exactly how much muscles/muscle groups are left out in the decline/incline bench vesus traditional. TS's question wasnt which is more effective but WHY. So I am going to try and research it someone see if they can beat me with the answer. Maybe someone who knows something lol

Yeah spot on I dont want to be missing out on training any neglected upper pex muscles.

If you wanna do isolation work then do it right. Go for some BB routine.

Ok as far as a specific answer as to why flat and why NOT incline I have found a couple things:

from the livestrong website:
"with the chest press, a flat position accentuates the pectorals and triceps. When performed on an incline, the anterior and medial deltoids (shoulders) play a larger synergistic role in the exercise."

so my interpretation is that your deadlifts and rows should be taking care of your "pulling" muscles aka your delts; and your shoulders as far as strength goes do not really need the extra attention. Therefore your time would best be served flat benching due to possible overlap with other exercises you NEED to be doing and just plain ole not being an effective use of your gym time.

and since most people lift for too long anyway (90+ min) its just not a great idea.

Variations In The Bench Press
oh and here is a GREAT link. Yes it is targeted for bodybuilders but it really had some great SCIENTIFIC informatio and debunked the decline bench myth but had some interesting things to say about narrow grip vs. wide etc.

Yeah spot on I dont want to be missing out on training any neglected upper pex muscles.

my point was your not missing anything by not doing it, esp as a beginner I just wanted to know WHY more than just having someone tell you not to. In my experience people don't believe you till you give a reason lol not just because "i told you so"

If you wanna do isolation work then do it right. Go for some BB routine.

What if I'm someone who just wants to get strong including having stronger upper pecs.

my point was your not missing anything by not doing it, esp as a beginner I just wanted to know WHY more than just having someone tell you not to. In my experience people don't believe you till you give a reason lol not just because "i told you so"

ok so the article is saying that

flat bench is fine or better than decline for lower pec

incline is better than flat bench for upper pec, but the differences are very small, tho useful for bodybuilders/ppl who want better developed upper pecs?

so my interpretation is that your deadlifts and rows should be taking care of your "pulling" muscles aka your delts.

OMG dude, you may refer to "lats", but BACK>CHEST more muscle mass from behind so...

When performed on an incline, the anterior and medial deltoids (shoulders) play a larger synergistic role in the exercise.

so my interpretation is that your deadlifts and rows should be taking care of your "pulling" muscles aka your delts;

I don't understand how deadlifting/rowing would use your anterior and medial deltoids to a significant degree.

Dude stop talking and read the fucking articles. Dont ask questions if you wont provide any credible argument based on literature etc or wont actual read the responses

Your upper pecs are not going to hold back your strength gains for many many years if EVER. And as a beginner you dont need to worry about this. The bench will deliver a virtually identical EMG response in your upper pecs (read the article) versus lower while simultanously working more muscle groups and is a much more effecient compound lift. Upper pec development is important for BODYBUILDERS or for people who want to look good at the beach, there is no strength lost by not doign incline...only looks. If you feel like you are leveling out (again not going to happen until you have lifted longer) than do the support exercises for whichever part of your bench your failing at aka gwetting it off your chest or locking it out on the top.

done.

I don't understand how deadlifting/rowing would use your anterior and medial deltoids to a significant degree.

misspoke! your right! I meant the lats as well as the other pulling muscles on the back of your body.

inclines are a great exercise to build the bench press

[yt/]LyBtqqGv0Gk[/MEDIA]

Yup. I heard curls are good for building chinups. Gunzors baby.

Double standards in this thread.

I don't think there is anything wrong with doing them. Lots of big benchers do it as a form of assistance work (barbell or dumbell). If you feel like doing them, I say do it! :)

I think it's a good exercise. I don't think it's necessary to do incline to improve your bench, but inclines, along with close grips, seem to be the most traditional or "old school" assistance for the bench. There's no doubt many strong benchers would swear by these exercises. But at the same time there are many strong benchers who probably never do them.

If you want to be all around strong it's a good movement to throw in the mix at least every once in a while, IMO.

Back