In which country is MMA going to become the #1 sport

Not even close to #2. It would have to get in line behind football, curling and figure skating and probably another few sports. Probably more people watch the Golf channel than watch MMA in Canada.

Also like many other countries around the world Basketball is more popular in Canada, still growing in popularity there and will always be more popular than MMA. Especially with many top prospects coming out of Canada in recent years and the Raptors doing better.

Some oddball country like Estonia.

That, or somewhere there are many angry citizens, like Armenia, or Afghanistan.

I'd say Ireland, but they're pretty hardcore soccer fans.

Soccer is the number 3/4 sport in Ireland and nobody knows what UFC is or who Conor McGregor is.

I think the countries where it will be biggest are those around the margins of Europe/Russia like Georgia and Armenia.

I doubt something would beat Soccer.

I am tempted to say Russia, but I just don't see. Perhaps it can beat SAMBO for number 3 sport.

Definitely not small compared to other countries. But the average joe will confuse MMA and UFC, and will hardly know other fighter than Anderson, Aldo, JDS... and the chances of said person know about other promotions like WSOF or even national ones like Jungle Fight are close to zero.

That is not far from being just like Sherdog.

Soccer is the number 3/4 sport in Ireland and nobody knows what UFC is or who Conor McGregor is.

I think the countries where it will be biggest are those around the margins of Europe/Russia like Georgia and Armenia.

Yeah, maybe if a smaller country with really patriotic/borderline nationalistic people start dominate in the UFC. But that's not going to happen, and those countries are mostly shitholes anyway and won't bring much revenue to the UFC.

I doubt something would beat Soccer.

I am tempted to say Russia, but I just don't see. Perhaps it can beat SAMBO for number 3 sport.

Russia as a whole? Lol no. Even Fedor couldn't get Russia into it. Maybe in Dagestan, but that's not a country.

Also like many other countries around the world Basketball is more popular in Canada, still growing in popularity there and will always be more popular than MMA. Especially with many top prospects coming out of Canada in recent years and the Raptors doing better.

"always"

nice that you can predict the future

In Ireland you also have hurling and Gaelic football. Not so hot on Gaelic football, but hurling's fucking awesome.

In Ireland you also have hurling and Gaelic football. Not so hot on Gaelic football, but hurling's fucking awesome.

Yeah those sports are huge, they're practically a religion here. Hurling kicks ass alright.

probably no country anytime soon, though anything is possible if you mean over the course of a very long time

team sports >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> individual sports

My opinion on this is that there needs to be recognised figures for the country to get behind and support. Brazil has so many Brazilian MMA fighters that people can move and support. Imagine if Canada had 15 GSP's. I think Conor McGregor can start the MMA growth in Ireland and Irelands number one sport could become MMA.

Nope. Mma will never overtake football or GAA here even with 100 McGregors.

As we know, MMA is considered a national sport in Brazil. And second only to soccer. A country in which martial arts and fighting is extremely popular. Vale Tudo, Capoiera, BJJ, and the list goes on.

I'm not sure if MMA is nationally accepted as a sport in the USA. It could be #3, #4, or #5 in popularity, I wouldn't know.

My question is, aside from Brazil and the USA. In which country is MMA likely to become the #1 sport in popularity?

lol

NOPE

I'd give it #2 in Canada to Hockey

It's not close to #2 now, and I very much doubt it will ever be. I know football, baseball, basketball, curling, and even tennis (Milos Raonic and even Eugenie Bouchard get much more coverage than GSP ever did) are well ahead of MMA.

Its had to be Japan back when Pride was around. It was on national tv. Also Judo and the martial arts are big in Japan.

In Thailand, its Muay Thai. In Dagestan, they are good at everything and produce world champs in every style of combat. Don't forget about the Central Asian nations. Wrestling is like a religion in those parts

I would say it could become that popular in Canada, but they love their hockey. So probably no country.

The UFC likes to exxagerate how popular MMA is in Canada. It's popular relative to other countries but in general it's very much a niche sport up here. Forget hockey, it's not even close to any of the major sports. Hell, the NLL (national lacrosse league) probably beats out MMA in Canada and hardly anyone watches that.

329.jpg

mind that National Sport =/= most diffused sport

there r kickboxing in Thailand and wrestling in Mongolia

Back