In which country is MMA going to become the #1 sport

It'll be #1 in a country that has no other sports.
This.

Never in the USA because football.
Never anywhere else because futbol.

I really doubt it, but if I had to pick one, Dagestan; if Khabilov and Bagautinov win and the other Dagestanis continue to do well.

zlatan > gustafsson :icon_chee

Zlatan makes ten times more money in a month than Gustafsson have in his entire career as an MMA fighter, and we're talking about the nr 1 LHW contender. :icon_chee

Combat sports are always niche level compared to other sports, thailand is the only country on earth i can think of where a combat sport is king

Zlatan makes more money in a month than Gustafsson have in his entire career as an MMA fighter, and we're talking about the nr 1 LHW contender. :icon_chee

yup! thats actually given me a great idea comparing every fighter in the ufc from their respective country and compare them to other top athletes from that country and see which has better earnings and more recognition, ufc fighter will lose every single time

dana said a few months ago that anderson silva is more famous than NEYMAR :icon_lol:

I'd give it #2 in Canada to Hockey
Not even close to #2. It would have to get in line behind football, curling and figure skating and probably another few sports. Probably more people watch the Golf channel than watch MMA in Canada.

Imagine if Canada had 15 GSP's.

Then it might be 1/5th as popular as hockey instead of 1/10th as popular. Seriously, Crosby got more press and interest each day of his concussion than GSP got even on days he had a fight.

I suspect the same is true in Brazil with MMA vs soccer (futball) - it'll never be as popular. And the US compared to football, basketball or baseball.

My opinion on this is that there needs to be recognised figures for the country to get behind and support. Brazil has so many Brazilian MMA fighters that people can move and support. Imagine if Canada had 15 GSP's. I think Conor McGregor can start the MMA growth in Ireland and Irelands number one sport could become MMA.

mma will never surpass football (soccer) in ireland, but i can see mma becoming a big sport there. the irish are known as fighters, so it makes sense that they would embrace it. kind of crazy that the ufc hasn't gone there more often.

My opinion on this is that there needs to be recognised figures for the country to get behind and support. Brazil has so many Brazilian MMA fighters that people can move and support. Imagine if Canada had 15 GSP's. I think Conor McGregor can start the MMA growth in Ireland and Irelands number one sport could become MMA.

Nah. Gaelic football, football, rugby, hurling and boxing won't be overtaken by MMA. The Irish are boxers and will always be. Boxing is going through a massive revival currently.

Not even close to #2. It would have to get in line behind football, curling and figure skating and probably another few sports. Probably more people watch the Golf channel than watch MMA in Canada.

It's telling that there is a golf channel, and a fishing channel, there's even a channel devoted to a single baseball team; but no MMA channel.

Combat sports are always niche level compared to other sports, thailand is the only country on earth i can think of where a combat sport is king

Muay Thai's so influential they got MMA banned in Thailand.

I'd say Ireland, but they're pretty hardcore soccer fans.

Kongo

Kongo-cut-500x453.png

Mma over football? Highly unlikely.

MMA is still well behind boxing in Ireland, let alone football.

define sport* like everybody and there friends are like hey lets go play mixed martial arts is so fun :D and nobody will get hurt its awesome... give me a fucking break man parents siging there kids up for boxing and bjj in attempts to get them into the "sport" of mma disgust me.. you cant class mma in with football and baseball , hockey, american football. it just doesnt work ... to be a #1 sport in general it needs to be universal and a fit for the whole family type deal

LOL at people saying Ireland. Americans have a weird view of Ireland, you really believe all the stereotypes and generalizations. Not everyone in Ireland finishes work, gets drunk on Guinness followed by Irish folk songs and a fight.

MMA won't surpass about 7 or 8 sports in Ireland, Boxing being one of them. The idea of becoming bigger than Football or Rugby is completely absurd.

define sport* like everybody and there friends are like hey lets go play mixed martial arts is so fun :D and nobody will get hurt its awesome... give me a fucking break man parents siging there kids up for boxing and bjj in attempts to get them into the "sport" of mma disgust me.. you cant class mma in with football and baseball , hockey, american football. it just doesnt work ... to be a #1 sport in general it needs to be universal and a fit for the whole family type deal

Wait, what? You don't want people competing in MMA, or what?

Back