In the vein of all the Aesopian talk lately...

Bad picture example. That was when Rafa rolled onto his shoulders and then rolled them both back to the knees and tried to gator roll.

I cannot finish the choke if, for example, I lock it in, do the gator roll, and instead of him being flat on his back with me on my right side. I am on my right side, but I overrolled him onto his left side. A lot of people have no problem finishing like this. When I say overroll, I mean by just a tad. I have to keep them on their back during that part of the gator roll and then roll to my side. If I held tight and rolled all the way to my side, they'd be on their side too and I couldn't finish from there. My chest has to be facing their shoulder for me to get the choke... make sense?

Hmmm, I actually have an easier time finishing the choke when we're both on our sides, with my chest facing the back of their head because I like to bridge my chest into the back of their head to finish the choke.

Hmmm, I actually have an easier time finishing the choke when we're both on our sides, with my chest facing the back of their head because I like to bridge my chest into the back of their head to finish the choke.

You would think so right? Must be something with my arms, because when I put the chest and hips to the back of the head like that, it does push the head down, but it tucks their chin, and doesn't really increase pressure on the sides. I've tried squeezing in on my lats and it's helped some, but it's still not the same has having my forearm across the carotid like with the Darce. The Conda just makes me feel like I'm using my biceps to finish if I'm not perpendicular to them....

Oh well. I still can finish it, it's just not as powerful and fast as my other head-and-arm chokes. I hope we get to look at those notes from Rafa's move.... :eek:

I think I need to change my sig from:

Carlos Gracie>Carlson Gracie>Marcus Soares>Adam Zugec>me

To Carlos Gracie>Carlson Gracie>Marcus Soares>Adam Zugec>me
Aesopian>me

You would think so right? Must be something with my arms, because when I put the chest and hips to the back of the head like that, it does push the head down, but it tucks their chin, and doesn't really increase pressure on the sides. I've tried squeezing in on my lats and it's helped some, but it's still not the same has having my forearm across the carotid like with the Darce. The Conda just makes me feel like I'm using my biceps to finish if I'm not perpendicular to them....

Oh well. I still can finish it, it's just not as powerful and fast as my other head-and-arm chokes. I hope we get to look at those notes from Rafa's move.... :eek:

You said you like to finish with you on your side and your opponent flat on his back, what do you do to finish from there? Just squeeze and walk your hips?

Personally when my opponent is flat and I can't bridge my chest into the back of their head I always shoulder roll into mount.

You said you like to finish with you on your side and your opponent flat on his back, what do you do to finish from there? Just squeeze and walk your hips?

Personally when my opponent is flat and I can't bridge my chest into the back of their head I always shoulder roll into mount.

I do this: skip to 3:30. This is where I first saw the choke and Nogueira makes sure to keep Heath on his back the same way he did with Yokoi in the previous fight. I just squeeze and hip in. It forces their carotid down into the blade of my forearm. Rafa Mendes did the exact same to Justin Raider.

Also: 2:48 gives a perfect view of how I finish

And Rafa Mendes: 3:52 for the Conda but the entire highlight is awesome

Last edited:
I was there at the 5 day training camp, and 2 day seminar the Mendes bros had at TLI. It was definitely alot of awesome stuff, and that front flip Anaconda is fairly loaded as far as details are concerned. I kinda doubt putting it into words via sherdog would help, its one of those feel kind of things.

I was there at the 5 day training camp, and 2 day seminar the Mendes bros had at TLI. It was definitely alot of awesome stuff, and that front flip Anaconda is fairly loaded as far as details are concerned. I kinda doubt putting it into words via sherdog would help, its one of those feel kind of things.

I'm sure it's a feel thing. When I used to do Ninjutsu, which was far less intricate IMO, as you didn't have to deal with live resistance, people online would absolutely refuse to even attempt to explain any techniques 9/10 times. The common response would be, "ask your instructor."

I've been surprised my entire time here at:

a. The fact that people even explain technique details
b. The fact they're often explained pretty well.
c. The fact that they sometimes actually help people. Of course this can't be confirmed through the internet.

But there have been one or two times where a written description has helped me, but it's always been with a position or technique that I'm already pretty familiar with. Even then, I'm sure I'm missing a few details.

That front flip Anaconda is very detailed, but I have actually front flipped out of full mount to do it before on super brand new people. Flipping out of half guard is a lot different though, and can change the angles and move them around. I am gonna give it another shot on Monday though.

BTW, on a scale on 1-10 how was the training camp? How long did you guys train everyday? I heard the brothers taught together and there wasn't a lot of split teaching in different areas.

I'm sure it's a feel thing. When I used to do Ninjutsu, which was far less intricate IMO, as you didn't have to deal with live resistance, people online would absolutely refuse to even attempt to explain any techniques 9/10 times. The common response would be, "ask your instructor."

I've been surprised my entire time here at:

a. The fact that people even explain technique details
b. The fact they're often explained pretty well.
c. The fact that they sometimes actually help people. Of course this can't be confirmed through the internet.

But there have been one or two times where a written description has helped me, but it's always been with a position or technique that I'm already pretty familiar with. Even then, I'm sure I'm missing a few details.

That front flip Anaconda is very detailed, but I have actually front flipped out of full mount to do it before on super brand new people. Flipping out of half guard is a lot different though, and can change the angles and move them around. I am gonna give it another shot on Monday though.

BTW, on a scale on 1-10 how was the training camp? How long did you guys train everyday? I heard the brothers taught together and there wasn't a lot of split teaching in different areas.

I feel you, but there is more to the technique than just the front flip. Some baiting is involved, and a few intricate details on how he likes to tighten up the choke, as well as the timing of when to turn in, vs. when to tighten. Thats what I was referring to it being a feel thing.

As for the camp, it was awesome. We trained 3 (I hit the occasional fundamentals class making it 4) times per day. Morning, Afternoon, and Night, and followed pretty much the same training regimen that they do in Brazil. The weekend seminar was basically your typical 3-4 hr seminar. There was some good stuff covered in the seminar, but the real meat and potatoes was taught during the training camp. It was one of those experiences that made a foot print on my Jiu Jitsu. Rafa and Gui were 2 of the nicest guys you could meet, and would bend over backwards to help you if you didnt understand something. They gave me an invite to come train at ATOS if im ever in the neighborhood (not really sure how I could just randomly be in Rio Claro but whatever). If you'd like to know how he does it, you should catch one of their seminars. I know Rafa and Gui are back in Brazil, but I think Durinho is still in the states.

I feel you, but there is more to the technique than just the front flip. Some baiting is involved, and a few intricate details on how he likes to tighten up the choke, as well as the timing of when to turn in, vs. when to tighten. Thats what I was referring to it being a feel thing.

As for the camp, it was awesome. We trained 3 (I hit the occasional fundamentals class making it 4) times per day. Morning, Afternoon, and Night, and followed pretty much the same training regimen that they do in Brazil. The weekend seminar was basically your typical 3-4 hr seminar. There was some good stuff covered in the seminar, but the real meat and potatoes was taught during the training camp. It was one of those experiences that made a foot print on my Jiu Jitsu. Rafa and Gui were 2 of the nicest guys you could meet, and would bend over backwards to help you if you didnt understand something. They gave me an invite to come train at ATOS if im ever in the neighborhood (not really sure how I could just randomly be in Rio Claro but whatever). If you'd like to know how he does it, you should catch one of their seminars. I know Rafa and Gui are back in Brazil, but I think Durinho is still in the states.

I hope you didn't think I was saying the front flip was the only part that made it "different." I'm sure it's crazy intricate.

BTW thanks for all that info. A good friend of mine went and told me it also made a huge impact on him. I really need to see those guys sometime. I actually wish there was more footage of Gui out there. I'm sure there will be soon enough. I have a hard time believing they are so young. Imagine how nasty they're both gonna be in a few years! Lloyd Irvin is the man too from bringing them. You should listen to the new fightworks podcast interview with him if you haven't.

I went through my notes twice before realsing the anaconda is an arm triangle..duh!! Sorry if this sounds simplistic but I am a white belt.

Arm triangle from Half Guard top
-Posture up in half guard.
-Opponent will sit up and go for the underhook exposing their neck
-Feed your arm through and grip at bicep
-Roll through using free leg to push other leg out
-Walk hips down to finish

Also, I couldn

that mendes highlight is awesome. glad to see more details about their game becoming mainstream.

Back