1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

In the vein of all the Aesopian talk lately...

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Drew Foster, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

In the same vein of Aesopian, Kesting, GracieInsider, Mikey Triangles, Ryan Hall, and anyone else who updates videos with techniques from players/fighters... I would LOVE to see someone put up a small series on the Anaconda choke based on Rafa Mendes' use of it at the last ADCC. Even Lloyd irvin could do a series since he recently had the Mendes brothers down.

I completely wrote off the Anaconda, as I thought that the only ways to really set it up were the gator roll from front headlock and the step through overhead throw from the front headlock.

I am really trying to explore the levels of the Anaconda, and I think Rafa has cracked the code on that, as he either hit the choke or came very close to finishing it on Justin Raider, Leo Vieira, and Cobrinha. I had no idea about those front flip half guard setups, The butterfly or overhead sweep setup, the way to invert while maintaining the arm triangle and forward flipping so you can walk the hips in again, being able to almost put someone out by not having your chest lined up with their shoulder, and being able to have finishing pressure while trying to gator roll, yet being stuck underneath an opponent, an most of all, using your your inside thigh to bring their triangle'd arm close to their head and neck, which makes it possible to finish the choke from almost anywhere.

Obviously the best would be a no-gi Mendes brothers DVD with a section on the Anaconda, but it would be really cool for someone who is at least a brown belt to really study this footage and put up some video details. I can watch the ADCC footage and try the stuff, and I have, but I am still only an intermediate player and I am sure I am missing a lot of nuances.

Hopefully I can train with them one day and pick up these details in person! Maybe Gui and Rafa even have some Darce details for me! :icon_chee lol.....

Special thanks to Mikey T. and DarceBrabo for helping me out with the details they already have on this matter...

2. netbjjer420

netbjjer420 Green Belt

I'm interested in this also, particularly his front flip set up vs. Vieira's half guard and his use of it vs. Cobrinha's single where he used the grip and the foot to flip Cobrinha to take top to better apply the choke.

3. Higher Learning

Higher Learning Brown Belt

gui showed us that one in the seminar we had with him last year... i forget the details though :-(

4. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

I know it as well as a person who's never been properly taught can know it, and I've hit it on a few solid blue belts in no-gi. I can only do it when my left leg is caught in the half guard, as I can only do right sided Anaconda's right now. Obviously this setup doesn't present itself often because I usually pass to my left, their right.

I've had success with posting my forehead on the mat after securing an arm-in Guillotine, and then using that forehead and my free foot as leverage to push off into a front flip where I land on my back. As I'm falling, I lock in the arm triangle, turn onto my side, and walk into them while they are flat on their back for the finish.

I am still VERY bad at finishing the Anaconda if we are both on our sides... Does anyone have any advice on that. If my right arm is choking, and I overroll and end up on my right side. If my chest isn't facing their shoulder, I can't finish very easily. If I can get this finish down, I bet I can start finishing from mount like I can with the Darce. The funny thing is, most people have zero problem finishing the choke when they and their opponent are on their sides. I can't do it unless our shoulders are perpendicular.

EDIT: Could it be as simple as I don't have a good "Anaconda squeeze" even though I have a good Darce squeeze?

This is the position I mean: except I'm on my right side and he is on his left side.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  5. netbjjer420

netbjjer420 Green Belt

Which one? And I can't believe you forgot the details, you bastard!!:mad::mad:

6. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

i know right!

7. Higher Learning

Higher Learning Brown Belt

from the single :icon_cry2

i remember thinking it was an awesome way to attack straight out of there.... i was paired up with my instructor during the drilling though and he has a much better memory for techniques + as a BB he is much better at problem solving these things so i'll ask him in class tomorrow (i've got dinner tinight so i won't be in)

8. BatBoyJG

BatBoyJG Brown Belt

I want to check this out, I have the ADCC Dvd, but really don't want to re watch the all the matches over again just to find 1 move, so if you know what times Mendes slaps on the anaconda let me know please.

9. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

He does the Anaconda straight away in his 2nd match, against Justin Raider. He attempts it on Leo Vieira in their match next. Then, in the final match against Cobrinha, he does two, both within the first 15 minutes of the match I think. Just fastforward through the Leo and Cobrinha match and you can't miss them.

10. elbigsam

elbigsam Blue Belt

Lazy, just use fast forward

11. CAnklerank

CAnklerank Yellow Belt

I actually have notes on the seminar both Gui and Rafa gave at our club in Feb. I'll post up the details tonight of the rolling from half guard anaconda, i may also have the video.

12. dza76wutang

dza76wutang Black Belt

I actually was thinking the other day "Man I haven't attempted an Anaconda or a D'arce in months, wtf"

This thread reminded me I need to try to sneak a few in at practice, make sure I still can do them. They WERE my bread and butter in no-gi but in the gi I find them much harder to do.

13. netbjjer420

netbjjer420 Green Belt

I'm confused, the picture shows Rafa is lying on his right side unless you mean Cobrinha's right side? And when you do it you end up on the other side of your opponent? :icon_conf

14. netbjjer420

netbjjer420 Green Belt

15. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

THANKS so much!

16. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

I have a hard time noing non-collar chokes in the gi too, but watch this footage for inspiration! The gi stuff is first, and you can stop watching when it gets to no-gi if you want, was it's the same two submissions he keeps getting. (The sound is missing so play some music you like while watching :icon_chee)

17. Tony Manifold

Tony Manifold Brown Belt

Yeah Aesopian has been getting lazy. Doesn't he realize we sit he waiting with bated breath for his next video? he acts like he does them for free or something.:icon_lol:

18. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

Bad picture example. That was when Rafa rolled onto his shoulders and then rolled them both back to the knees and tried to gator roll.

I cannot finish the choke if, for example, I lock it in, do the gator roll, and instead of him being flat on his back with me on my right side. I am on my right side, but I overrolled him onto his left side. A lot of people have no problem finishing like this. When I say overroll, I mean by just a tad. I have to keep them on their back during that part of the gator roll and then roll to my side. If I held tight and rolled all the way to my side, they'd be on their side too and I couldn't finish from there. My chest has to be facing their shoulder for me to get the choke... make sense?

19. Doctor Venture

Doctor Venture Black Belt

I get what youre saying. Im just a shitty whitebelt, but I would try playing with the angle of your hips from where you start the choke. I have a hard time with it sometimes if Im facing them strainght on when I start sliding my arms in for the choke. I know I dont do the technique perfect though and Im going to work on it later today, because before I took a break from BJJ (for judo), the anaconda was my go to move. I'll ask today and post if I find something useful.

I have no problem whatsoever finishing the choke if the guy is on his side fully. I actually find its easier that way. It probably has something to do with how far through your arm is. Maybe him being on his back makes it tight enough?

20. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

Well when they're on their back and I'm on my side, and I walk my hips in, it perfectly pushes their left carotid right into my arm for the choke. That's exactly how Rafa finished Raider. If we're both on the side and I walk my hips in, it just pushes his chin down. That's the problem I'm getting. I'm just gonna have to play with it. I got nasty with the Darce, and I'm sure I'll tackle this too. Thanks though, and it is weird that a lot of people finish better from the position I have trouble with.